NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Classifieds - Other (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   WTB - 80's or Early '90s BMX Bikes - Please Read! (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62537)

The Fixer 02-06-2013 07:59 PM

WTB - 80's or Early '90s BMX Bikes - Please Read!

Hey guys,
I'm looking to buy at least one, maybe a couple of old-school BMX bikes. If they haven't been ridden in a long time, that's perfect, since I really want them to rebuild. Even if they're a little rusty or scratched, it's cool - I'm not building showpieces, just quality rider bikes. I'd like to show my students how they work and maybe teach them a few things, so if I had a couple of project bikes available that would be awesome.

Anyway, I trust you guys here and figure if someone wants to offload their old bike, you know it'll go to a good home in my garage. You can see pics in this thread here of what I've done with my '85 Mongoose resto - http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61217

I'm interested in late '80s-early '90s stuff - Mongoose Experts or Menaces, Dyno VFRs, GT Mach Ones, Diamondback Vipers - those kind of bikes. It can be freestyle or regular BMX style. I can't afford Hutch prices, unless you're giving it away for pennies on the dollar. I'm realistically looking to spend $100 or less (preferably less ;) ), because I need money left over in the budget for tires, tubes, grips, brake pads and cables, and other odds and ends. I'm not really into newer bikes - I like the simple lines of the old stuff, that's why I'm looking for '80s-early '90s specifically. Even if you just have parts - maybe a frame and forks, a set of wheels, or handlebars you wanna get rid of on the cheap? I might be interested if i can piece together something with what you guys have available.

Please PM or post with anything you have that I might be interested in, thanks!!

NJSPEEDER 02-06-2013 08:24 PM

You have a PM

V 02-06-2013 10:39 PM

Steve, if you can come by some day, i might have a frame or two and all kinds of assorted parts id sell for a fair price.

The Fixer 02-07-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER (Post 870212)
You have a PM

PM returned, thanx! :)

And Paul, I'll definitely stop by, thanks for the offer! I'll try calling the cell number I have for you, hopefully it's still the same. Otherwise I'll PM you or message you on FB. :)

Anyone else, feel free to chime in!

V 02-07-2013 02:19 PM

yea, same cell number since 1999. lol

leave a message

The Fixer 02-07-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V (Post 870288)
yea, same cell number since 1999. lol

leave a message

Thanx, it should still be good then LOL! I left you a voice mail earlier. I have a half day tomorrow and I'll be around on the weekend, so just give me a call whenever. Talk to ya soon!

Rob WS6 02-10-2013 12:04 PM

This thread made me do some research on a bike I built when I was a kid with a frame I found in the trash... it was an old 80's Skyway TA chrome frame (and matching fork iirc). Plugged it in ebay and holy crap, I cant believe the money its worth, like $400 and up just for the frame and fork, thats crazy! Glad I never got rid of it!

TaKid455 02-14-2013 08:23 AM

have a 90's mongoose. freestyle I think the frame is called.

The Fixer 02-14-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob WS6 (Post 870525)
This thread made me do some research on a bike I built when I was a kid with a frame I found in the trash... it was an old 80's Skyway TA chrome frame (and matching fork iirc). Plugged it in ebay and holy crap, I cant believe the money its worth, like $400 and up just for the frame and fork, thats crazy! Glad I never got rid of it!

Yeah, some of the rare old school bikes command big bucks among collectors. It's nuts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaKid455 (Post 870788)
have a 90's mongoose. freestyle I think the frame is called.

PM being sent, thanx!

V 02-18-2013 10:18 PM

Steve, I didn't forget you, lol.
PM me if you are free friday, sat, or sun.

The Fixer 03-16-2013 01:05 PM

Bump again. I got approved to teach a class one day a week to 5th and 6th graders after work, so I could use another project bike or two if anyone has something available on the cheap!