View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #33
NJ346
11 Second Club / I <3 LT1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
I had this same hypothetical situation, except I had real cats that were hypothetically missing some interior components. I went through a state facility and even without codes showing, they still gave me the sideways look with the raised eyebrow. It was a case of the computer saying "all clear", their eyes saying "cats in place, good to go", but their noses saying "wait a second, what is that smell?" so you still have to be careful. They
even popped my hood to give a quick look. It go to the point, where I was starting to get nervous.

How aggressive is your camshaft, overlap, duration? Are there other things that would cause them to do a double take?

I agree with others that if you aren't making super big power, the HP hit is probably not that large, and judging by the 2.5" Y-pipe, I'm guessing the cats won't hurt you all that much, if at all.

I know I would not want to get caught in a roadside inspection with hypothetical cats, that surely wouldn't end well and I don't think the penalties are hypothetical.

Good Luck
I think no two state inspection stations are the same. I went to my local state one(Manahawkin) last week with my H/C car and they didn't even pop the hood. They don't use mirrors anymore but have cameras with led lights in the floor and a nice hdtv hanging on the wall. I have cats and they took a few looks at them but that was it. Believe it or not, they bothered me about not having a front plate more than anything else.

00 SS A4- LQ9/LS3/Stalled/3.42s 1.48/11.10/121 mph<-6spd swap in progress.
13 Silverado Z71- Sold 11/16
99 Z28 M6- -H/C/9in - sold 1/13
99 Silverado Z71- The DD - Sold 7/13
03 CBR 600RR - Sold 8/13
NJ346 is offline   Reply With Quote