View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Paul Huryk

You 4th gen guys have a lot of wheels to choose from, which is a good thing. As a manufacturer for 3rd gen wheels, I can tell you there aren't a fraction as many choices.

My take:

If you get real OEM ZR1 wheels, they are attractive and are quality. If you get knock off bottom barrel cheap copies, beware that they are usually not DOT tested or approved (unless they are proven to be approved). They also have a lot of brake clearance from the back of the wheel spokes to the front of the calipers, but not that much barrel to caliper clearance. You can't run 14" brakes under them.

I do like the spyder wheels personally, but anything above 18" on NJ roads in an F-body is asking for trouble.

There is also a large variation of weights for wheels, some ZR1 copes weigh 20lbs, others 25lbs...

I like the dish look, but keep in mind the larger the dish, the smaller the brake system you can run without caliper to spoke contact. Might not be an issue with stock brakes, but even some small 4 piston kits can cause a problem with a lot of dished wheels.