Thread: Leasing a car
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #42
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

I don't do much driving these days since my commute is about 5 miles and we take my wife's Jeep most of the time, but after almost two months I have put almost 1500 miles on the car and wanted to give my input. Cliff notes: Pics at the bottom, car is comfy, fun to drive, but the transmission blows.

First, the car is very smooth and easy to drive. My father has a 2010 CTS and right away, he got in and felt more comfortable driving it than his own. He, a man that admits to not being able to tell the difference between any new car, was blown away at the improvement from his car. Acceleration from the 2.0T is shocking, but not as surprising as the handling. My Saab was lowered on Koni shocks and Vogtland springs and the larger CTS would easily hang with it in the corners given the same tires. But where the Saab bounced around and crashed on bumps, the CTS is properly comfortable and easy on your piles.

I've driven a modern Audi A6 and BMW 535i, and my good friend has a 2013 MB E350 that I'm in quite often. They all have nicer interiors but the seats in the Cadillac are still the most comfortable. The BMW was my least favorite of the bunch, but the chassis in the CTS is bar-none in terms of handling and ride quality.

I do have a few gripes about the car, and the main one is the new 8 speed transmission. My goodness, it is terrible. Downshifts are slow to the point where you sometimes have to lift after trying to merge because you waited seconds for it to downshift, only to realize it is no longer safe to merge. And if you are patient enough, it downshifts 3 or 4 gears and the car jolts forward. It's tough to modulate. Even when you're cruising, the car can get confused and slam into another gear. It's strange and unsettling. I'm sure a software update could fix it, but right now, I almost wish I purchased the used 2015 model. I will say, though, upshifts are snappy and the tall highway gear is nice with the car's highest average over a 50 mile span being 32.5mpg.

My other gripes include a sometimes finnicky CUE system which is no where near as bad as reviewers make it out to be, some cheap looking GM parts bin interior items, ugly gauges in the base model, cheap GM carpeting (the Germans get deep pile) and some questionable stitching on the steering wheel. Also, the dealer network is not comparable to the BMW and Audi dealers I've interacted with and have had to discuss the service teams' incompetence with my salesperson after leaving my car for a day and then being told they were unsure what they were supposed to do.

Nonetheless, I love the car and don't miss my Saab as much as I thought I would. Looking forward to replacing it with that beautiful CT6.

qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote