Thread: Not this again.
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #2427
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

Boy was that a disaster.

As stated in previous update, the solid trans mounts were NOT our friends here.

The 2 on the passenger side, near the starter were no problem.

Moved up to the next bolt, about 1 o'clock position, and turns out, nothing there. Was going off a pic of a 60e bell to remember bolt positioning, i could have swore there was a bolt there. but i guess not.

I know the 60e has 8 bolts that hold it it, i already got 2 out, and there was 6 remaining, so i assume this is normal and i just forgot? (fast forward to the end of the job, there was no paint missing from that bolt hole on the trans, so no bolt was ever put in at any point. The other holes that had bolts in them, all had paint removed from install & removal of bolts)

Moving on, The top center bolt was really not much of an issue, a little fighting with the swivel joint but thats it. some electricial tape on the joint and it was out in no time.

On to the bolt at the 10 o' clock spot, this was the first real pain. fought with it for a while, but with the solid engine mounts not allowing the trans to droop at all, it was a major pain. After fighting for about 30 mins, we ended up pulling the driver side coils and valve covers off. That gave my buddy enough room to reach down behind the head and guide the swivel on. Broke it loose with the ratched from the bottom, and he turned it out by hand from the top.

3 to go.

The one below the dowel on the driver side proved to be nearly as much of a pain as the previous, and prob the most frustrating. It was a clear as day shot at it, just to shallow of a space to fit anything. Couldnt get the socket with the swivel on. couldnt get the socket with the ratchet directly attached to it on. Got a box wrench on, but didnt have enough meat so it slid off. large flap of skin missing from my finger due to that btw.

Ended up using a larger pry bar to massage the inside of the trans tunnel enough to fit the extension and swivel on. broke her loose and we were on our way.

Pulled the final bottom 2 out with no theatrics. Trans slid off the motor no problem. quick flick of the wrist with the pry bar and we were on the transjack(thanks kirk)

cleaned up for the day and headed home. We will see what today brings.
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote