View Single Post
Old 05-16-2023, 07:15 AM   #544
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

damn, sorry to hear about your health scare bud, hope all is well at this point now. I did get out to the track last Friday for that Track rental. It was ok, Ill go into details below, but I still have some datalogging issues and nitrous issues to sort out here myself.

Its almost 11 days later and I am finally getting a chance to type this up. In the future, I really may not have the time to type up such detailed event re-caps, but I will try because the main reason I do it, is so that if I got something going awry or I can find out any mistakes that need correcting.. hopefully someone can point it out and I can get this car dialed in. The biggest thing preventing me form these updates and any car work is the 11 month old baby and some serious health issues he has been dealing with for the past 7 months of his life. Tough times and hardly any free time to get things accomplished, but I will keep at it. Actually, I am only able to type this all up today since I am home from work to take care of the little fella.

Anyways, since multiple weekends prior to the May 5th trace rental had fully rained out, I took a day off of work and jumped into the rental for $200. It was with a group of North Jersey streetcars, mostly new mustangs, mopars, corvettes, and mostly street cars with radials. there was a tesla or two and some e-Audi thing too. It had rained in the early morning, so the track started an hour late and we lost that hour. (throughout the day it rained several more times and the track even closed early because of the rain...I was next in the line for the burnout box when they called the track closed!). This was the first time I have run the car with the new Lakewood 50/50 drag shocks in the rear, so I was interested to see how it would go. The DA for the day was under 1000, minimal wind, etc. I kept the Front tires the same all day, and the rear tires were between 16.6psi and 17.2 psi all day. The passes where I hot-lapped the car the tires were at the 17.2 psi. The rear air bags were at 6 psi on the drivers side and 16 psi on the passenger side.

Pass 1:

All motor shakedown pass after winter mods and adjustments. Since I expected to get a lot of dragstrip passes during the day, I decided to do one with the air filter/air cleaner assembly on, just out of curiosity. It spun a little out of teh hole, but somehow I got a good reaction time for once. launched at 1760 rpms, converter flashed at 4786 rpms. Shifted 1-2 at 6241 rpms, shifted 2-3 at 5851 rpms (early) and crossed the line around 6002 rpms.

Timeslip:

Datalog:

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbgCrdvT-Wg

Pass 2:
used the same tune file, just took the air filter assembly off. Did my very best to launch and shift exactly as I did on the pass before. launched at 1731 rpms, converter flashed at 4746 rpms. Shifted 1-2 at 6033 rpms, shifted 2-3 at 5870 rpms and crossed the line at 6133 rpms. picked up about 1 mph (and 2tenths)

--- Then it rained and track was stopped for almost 2 hours

Timeslip:

Datalog:

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZDh5CFp2_c

Pass 3:
they dried the track, and I wanted to get a better all motor timeslip that was more in the 11.7 and 11.6 range like usual. Launch hooked better but still a little slip. However, here comes the garbled nonsense datalog gremlins back to haunt me from last year. The datalog is useless and I still don't know why it does this intermittently.

Timeslip:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oA6z4H]

Datalog:

datalog again:
its only recording/saving data points every half second instead of every micro-second. wth!?!

Pass 4:
My personal best all-motor timeslip was a 11.66 and since I had jsut gone 11.670, I said, lets see if we can get a new pb. I added a few drops of race-gas concentrate to the fuel tank and added 1 degree of timing, so my overall timing was 35 deg instead of 35. This time the datalog worked! Launched at 1186 rpms and got a nice 1.49 sixty foot (all motor!) Converter flashed at 4797 rpms. I shifted 1-2 at 6489 rpms and shifted 2-3 at 6135 rpms. Across the finish line at 6032 rpms. The new personal best all motor is now this timeslip, but I think on a good day I can hopefully knock down a 11.59. The mph picked up almost 3 mph from previous pass, so that was awesome

Timeslip:

Datalog:

Pass 5:

People were already seeing the rain clouds move in again, so I decided to get a nitrous run in prior to any shut-downs. I had the 150 jets in and knew the starting line was tricky today so I chose to do a progressive ramped in 150 shot. it did spin a bit on the launch, but ran well. It did the same usual numbers for the progressive 150 shots as last year; but again. the datalog failed. Getting real annoyed about that.

Timeslip:
Untitled by David Martin, on Flickr

Datalog fail:

Untitled by David Martin, on Flickr

Rain arrived but didn't last too long, after track was dry we got back in the lanes.

Pass 6:

Wanted to see if a non-progressive nitrous shot would work, but it didnt. It actually had a different problem, and that is that the nitrous system turned itself off. I hadn't seen any problematic (afr) numbers on the dashboard display during the first 330 of the pass, but something made the system shut off. I ran it out all motor though. Went to check the datalog, and boom, of course, datalog error again. So thats a double problem. I checked spark plugs, and while they were turning tan in color from the race-gas additive, the timing mar on the strap seemed good and no other signs of combustion problems.

Timeslip:

Datalog:

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUzf2aez-08

spark plug:

pass 7:

I modified the existing tune file to open up the "nitrous system safety parameters" a bit in case the safety shut-off numbers were too tight. otherwise, no change. Spun on the launch (there really was no rubber "grove" that day), nitrous clicked off soon afterwards, and I ran the rest of the pass on motor just watching AFR numbers as close as I can on the digital dashboard readouts. Nothing alarming. Datalog failed again

Timeslip:

Failed Datalog:

Video:
(can hear nitrous go off with engine noise change)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am5_hiDFgU4

Pass 8:

Incredibly frustrated a\nd confused, we saw rain coming in again so I decided to send it and did a quick nitrous jet change to a 175 shot and a corresponding known-good tune file (used last spring to go 10.60). As expected, spun the launch, nitrous clicked off, and no useful datalog.

Timeslip:

Datalog:

Video:

I then decided to just make another all-motor pass and jumped into the lanes.
Rolled to the area just before the burnout box, rain arrived, track shut down for the day. Packed up, in the rain, chatted with some people for a bit, and drove home in the rain.

I mean, jeez, I gotta figure out these two issues, and I have had a thread on the HolleyEFI web-forums regarding the datalog issue for at least a year now. Limited time and limited brainpower. I was kinda bummed that the starting line was not good/consistent throughout the day. Street treaded street tires and minimal prep, but sometimes I got it to stick. I did stay in the right hand lane the whole day because it had more cars with radials and slicks going down it. Joey D came by for a bit and took some video/photos. The car is popping a sure small wheelie on the all-motor launches when it hooked ( Pass 3 which was 1.52 sixty and Pass 4 which was 1.49 sixty foot). So, thats good, and I probably am close with the rear setup working. Maybe a slight tire psi adjustment or air bag adjustment, but not much.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 05-16-2023 at 10:18 PM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote