Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 04:46 AM   #26
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Nope. have bought alcohol many sundays.

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #27
Knipps

One of the last remaining blue laws, actually non religious Sunday Closing laws, in the United States that covers selling electronics, clothing and furniture is found in Bergen County, New Jersey.[29][30][31]
Car dealerships are also closed on Sundays in New Jersey

Blue laws

One of the last remaining blue laws in the United States that covers virtually all selling is found in Bergen County. It has produced the ironic situation that one of the largest and most popular commercial shopping cores of the New York metropolitan area[33] is almost completely closed on Sunday (grocery stores, convenience stores, gas stations, and restaurants are among the few businesses allowed to operate). Furthermore, Bergen County has significant populations of Jewish (2000 estimate of 83,700) and Muslim (2000 estimate of 6,473) residents whose observant members would not be celebrating the Sunday Sabbath with most of their Christian neighbors.[34] The substantial Orthodox Jewish minority is placed in the position of being unable to shop either on Sunday (due to the blue laws) or on Saturday (due to religious observance).[35][36]

However, repeated attempts to lift the law have failed as voters either see keeping the law on the books as a protest against the growing trend toward increasing hours and days of commercial activity in American society or enjoy the sharply reduced traffic on major roads and highways on Sunday that is normally seen the other days of the week. In fact, a large part of the reason for maintaining the laws has been a desire for relative peace and quiet one day of the week by many Bergen County residents.[37]

This desire for relative peace is most apparent in Paramus, where most of the county's largest shopping malls are located, along the intersecting highways of Route 4 and Route 17, which are jam-packed on many Saturdays. Paramus has enacted blue laws of its own that are even more restrictive than those enforced by Bergen County,[38] banning all forms of "worldly employment" on Sundays, including white collar workers in office buildings.[37][39]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #28
The Fixer

The alcohol on Sundays law varies by town - I found that out when I worked at a liquor store. The only State law on alcohol sales is that stores can be open from 12-6. Your town may have different laws that trump State laws - in Englewood, for example, you can buy beer, but no hard liquor. Other towns are only open from 12-5 but you can buy anything you want, some do the full 6 hours.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #29
baddest434
8 Second Club

i never got that law on the liqour. why can't you buy hard liquour but you can buy beer? does'nt make any sense to me.
baddest434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #30
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_blue_law_nj

They better not lift blue laws.
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #31
NastyEllEssWon

well christie makes sense if they stand to gain 65 million in tax revenue. if they have that type of gains from it then the county should figure out a way to make that money without repealing the blue laws...like i said before...if the people want the blue laws the people should feel the burden, tax the hell out of bergen if they wanna keep em.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #32
The Fixer

He should just re-instate the tax on people making over 400K a year - that will generate the $$ they need, or it would offset the $$ cut in state aid to school districts.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #33
firehawk1120

I'm confused as to why NO ONE has argued the point that it should be the store owners decision if they want to close or open on any given day. Why should the state decide if a shop owner has to close their doors. Last I knew there was suppose to be freedom in this country, and rights. This is a ridiculous law and should be removed as soon as possible. If you don't like living in a highly populated area with traffic move, but don't impose laws that are unfair.
firehawk1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 PM   #34
maroman88
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk1120 View Post
I'm confused as to why NO ONE has argued the point that it should be the store owners decision if they want to close or open on any given day. Why should the state decide if a shop owner has to close their doors. Last I knew there was suppose to be freedom in this country, and rights. This is a ridiculous law and should be removed as soon as possible. If you don't like living in a highly populated area with traffic move, but don't impose laws that are unfair.
could argue the opposite... dont like the law, go open your store some place else.
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #35
firehawk1120

if it were only that easy to find good commercial space I'm sure some people would. You can't just up and move from someplace.

Still doesn't answer the question as to why people feel the need to tell others what is good and bad/ right and wrong. It's like this stupid soda beverage tax. Do you really think a few cents is going to make people stop buying soda all of a sudden probably not. It's not gonna make people be healthy and it sure as hell isn't going to save anyone's job because they will just blow the money on stupid **** anyway.

WE need less gov't not bigger gov't. People just don't understand that. It is what the founders of our country knew but people feel like pushing their views on others and we can't offend anyone it's pathetic.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #36
maroman88
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk1120 View Post
if it were only that easy to find good commercial space I'm sure some people would. You can't just up and move from someplace.

Still doesn't answer the question as to why people feel the need to tell others what is good and bad/ right and wrong. It's like this stupid soda beverage tax. Do you really think a few cents is going to make people stop buying soda all of a sudden probably not. It's not gonna make people be healthy and it sure as hell isn't going to save anyone's job because they will just blow the money on stupid **** anyway.

WE need less gov't not bigger gov't. People just don't understand that. It is what the founders of our country knew but people feel like pushing their views on others and we can't offend anyone it's pathetic.
these laws have been here practicly forever.... most businesses havent and obviously would have learned of it before opening.... if they didnt like it they could have opened in another county, but since bergen county is so populated and so many people come here to shop i guess they still decided to open!

i love blue laws and they're are strictly enforced by police... ud be surprised how many residents call and complain if they think someone is breaking the blue laws
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 AM   #37
firehawk1120

wouldn't surprise me one bit. People are pathetic and love sticking there nose in other peoples business. It's still not right to tell a business owner when they can and can't be open. Especially during a recession when people need any extra money possible. I just don't like being told what to do and when to do it. That is why I don't live in a townhouse/condo association. They tell you what colors are allowed, can't wash car, no barbequing it's B.S.

People need to get over themselves and stop trying to push their own agendas and just let others do what makes them happy. As long as they aren't hurting anyone why should it matter.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge