Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
L695speed

L98 Oil Cooler

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can source a factory L98 oil cooler, or if anyone has one. Could I just run it as is without the cooler? I am wondering how mandatory it is on the L98. The machinist strongly suggested replacing it because there was so much crap in the oil passages and the motor that he was leery of reusing the cooler. I would replace it but I don't want to get into replacing the whole system with an aftermarket one. I could try cleaning it but don't want to run the chance of one small piece ruining the whole build.

Dealership is out of the question, they say its discontinued.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Stevoone

Is the oil cooler in the side tank of the radiator or does it sit in front? All of my illustrations show it in the side tank.

It also shows the cooler hoses as just bulk rubber hose, wouldn't be too difficult just to install an aftermarket cooler in front of the radiator/condensor to bypass the original.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

It is really not needed but it does help somewhat. go with a aftermarket air cooler if need be. Or get a bigger pan and 180 stat. May need the oil filter adapter if you take the cooler off i believe.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
L695speed

Ok so I could get away with not running it.

Stevoone, the factory cooler is basically running coolant to an adapter that the oil filter screws into. So its using the coolant in the radiator to keep the oil cool by running it through the adapter. Similar concept to a heater core, except it cooling instead of heating.

Deadtrend did you mean get like a 6 qt pan and run a 180 stat to keep the oil cool without an oil cooler setup? Didn't think you could run a bigger pan with a third gen. I will see how the cooler looks with brake cleaner. If it looks like its out of the question then I'll look into getting an oil cooler for it to put in front of the condenser. I'm guessing I'll need more oil in the system if I run an aftermarket oil cooler due to oil being run out of the motor? Forgive the seemingly stupidity of the question but I'm more used to factory setups.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

FWIW I seem to remember the LT1 oil cooler being more detrimental than anything else.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
FWIW I seem to remember the LT1 oil cooler being more detrimental than anything else.
Correct, causes leaks/clogs etc. Theres a reason it doesn't exist on +95 models
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Are you planning on driving the car 110% all day everyday? I wouldnt lose sleep if id removed it

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtrend1 View Post
Are you planning on driving the car 110% all day everyday? I wouldnt lose sleep if id removed it
If we could all drive 110% everyday all day, we'd all be doing so lol! Good point though. I'll get an adapter to run just the oil filter. It will be run fairly hard on occasion but...nothing more than a spirited run on a nice day for the most part. And the fact that they removed them on the LT1s which is not much different from these L98s is a good point too. Didn't know that, will put that away in case I get an early LT1 car to remove it. Thanks guys, won't worry about it then.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Stevoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post
Ok so I could get away with not running it.

Stevoone, the factory cooler is basically running coolant to an adapter that the oil filter screws into. So its using the coolant in the radiator to keep the oil cool by running it through the adapter. Similar concept to a heater core, except it cooling instead of heating.
That makes sense now. The picture showed the oil adapter/cooler with two hoses but only one going to the radiator, I've never seen one run like that before.

The cooler is discontinued but the part number was 14092135

Here is an adapter to run a remote cooler. http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans+Dapt/969/1322/10002/-1
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
If we could all drive 110% everyday all day, we'd all be doing so lol! Good point though. I'll get an adapter to run just the oil filter. It will be run fairly hard on occasion but...nothing more than a spirited run on a nice day for the most part. And the fact that they removed them on the LT1s which is not much different from these L98s is a good point too. Didn't know that, will put that away in case I get an early LT1 car to remove it. Thanks guys, won't worry about it then.
Chris, here's some other info for you. LT1 info but probably applicable:

Quote:
The early design, 93 to early 95, black cooler, was designed and manufactured by Moroso for GM. It is a low-restriction, high-flow design, that is damn near impossible to clog, with plenty of oil cooling/heating ability.

The newer 95-97 all-aluminum design is HIGHLY restrictive and is VERY prone to clogging due to a single-path design with very small fins.

I made a huge post some time ago on CZ28.com in regards to the oil coolers. They are used as both an oil heater in cold weather as well as a cooler when the oil gets hot.

To sum it up, GM decided to do without the cooler once they started recommending Mobil 1 Synthetic due to it's ability to withstand higher temps without breaking down.

Moral of the story, run synthetic and forget the oil cooler. If you are making a road-race vehicle that will see constantly high-rpms with good airflow through the radiator (ie, driving at speed), you would do well by going with the 93-early 95 Moroso cooler as a cheap oil cooler solution. The best performing solution would be to go with a dedicated stand-alone oil cooler with a termostatically controlled bypass valve so that the oil does not get over-cooled.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Chris, here's some other info for you. LT1 info but probably applicable:
Thanks Bill, noted for the 84, since that one is gonna be beaten more than the GTA.....well not beaten but driven harder. Its not the worst thing to do, I'll run it with just an adapter without the cooler, see how it does over the first 500 miles if there are issues, then I'll put in a cooler when I do that first oil change at 500 miles.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
Paul Huryk

Good idea, pretty bad design... Although the factory trans coolers are decent - if you get your car's water temp down below 200 degrees.

You can get a good aftermarket cooler for $100 or so that would actually do a lot better job than the factory item could ever do.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Huryk View Post
Good idea, pretty bad design... Although the factory trans coolers are decent - if you get your car's water temp down below 200 degrees.

You can get a good aftermarket cooler for $100 or so that would actually do a lot better job than the factory item could ever do.
Not a trans cooler but I guess you made a typo there lol. Yeah I'll see how it does. Its not gonna be hit 110% all day everyday, so as stated above I'll ditch it for now, if it seems like it will need it I'll put one in. Even the parts guy at the dealer said I could probably get away with not using it if I don't clean out the one it had.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
The Fixer

Plenty of good old SBCs were beaten on without an oil cooler, and it wasn't too detrimental to their health. When I built the L98 for my old Monte, I just installed the regular adapter and screwed on an oil filter. The first L69 in my '85 SS had almost 200K hard miles with no oil cooler, and it was still clean inside. Regular oil changes, keeping revs to a decent rpm, and good coolant temps will keep your engine alive just fine.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post
Plenty of good old SBCs were beaten on without an oil cooler, and it wasn't too detrimental to their health. When I built the L98 for my old Monte, I just installed the regular adapter and screwed on an oil filter. The first L69 in my '85 SS had almost 200K hard miles with no oil cooler, and it was still clean inside. Regular oil changes, keeping revs to a decent rpm, and good coolant temps will keep your engine alive just fine.
Figured as much, thanks for the real world experience input. And thanks to all for their input as well. I'd consider the matter closed. Maybe I'll take the adapter off my old L69 block....
Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
greenformula92

You will be fine. Not all Chevy V8's came with an oil cooler, It was an extra. If it was absolutely necessary they would have all come with it

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
1320B4U

I run a modine version in the l98 formula...coupled w/mobil uno...temp gauge never moves past 180 (and yes the gauge works..lol)
1320B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Not a trans cooler but I guess you made a typo there lol. Yeah I'll see how it does. Its not gonna be hit 110% all day everyday, so as stated above I'll ditch it for now, if it seems like it will need it I'll put one in. Even the parts guy at the dealer said I could probably get away with not using it if I don't clean out the one it had.
I was referring to how bad the engine oil cooler is, and also how the trans cooler is decent (for GM)... Confuser you I must!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Huryk View Post
I was referring to how bad the engine oil cooler is, and also how the trans cooler is decent (for GM)... Confuser you I must!
Ah ok, no worries. I'm probably gonna see if I can salvage the standard oil filter adapter from my 84's original L69 block if its not all beaten to hell and what not....
Old 07-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Deadtrend did you mean get like a 6 qt pan and run a 180 stat to keep the oil cool without an oil cooler setup? Didn't think you could run a bigger pan with a third gen.
Moroso makes 6 and 7 qt. pans that fit various SBC configurations in 3rd gens. I'm sure at least a few other mainstream companies do as well.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/Moroso-...63991/10002/-1
(Choose year / make / model from the dropdowns)

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
BonzoHansen
Admin.

IIRC Canton does too.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #22
Paul Huryk

Canton (and if Hamburger still makes them) along with a few others...

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech