Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 01-31-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
Little G
Lifetime Power Member

determining optimal timing

Is there some sort of calculator to determine the correct spark advance? I just don't know where to start with this.
Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827
Beater: 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Little G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
9secfirebird

start with the stock setting in the computer.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
Little G
Lifetime Power Member

Okay, I'm looking for a calculator of some sort that would take various parameters and spit out an optimal timing. I am well aware of my stock tables, however they are more geared toward emissions than power, in addition to the fact that I use 93 octane gas and the setup is now slightly different than stock. Is there such a thing or is adding spark and subtracting where it knocks the only way to tune?

Old 01-31-2005, 09:53 PM   #4
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

I would think that every engine would be slightly different, even if it was the same type of engine. If thats the case, then it looks like trial and error is the best method, or get a rough idea from someone else and tune from there.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:16 PM   #5
Fasterthanyou

We'll talk more in person on Thursday at Matt's. I'll have my catalog ready for you to get your exhaust parts ordered.
The gist of timing is mostly head design and cam. Other things have very little effect on the main SA table. For emissions purposes the timing is tailored to the desired AFR.
General rules: Lean mixtures require more timing than stoich. Really dense cold air also requires more timing. On a cold engine start the pcm is trying to lite the cats as fast as possible and to do this they usually have a tad slightly retarded timing from optimal and run EXTRA rich. If you lean out the cold start AFRs a tad you'll want to add a degree or 2.
Generally speaking knock counts are bad but don't get caught up in the "oh look, knock counts, gotta take out timing at that spot in the main SA table." The pcms run tests on the system ALL the time, especially OBDII. One of those tests is to make certain the knock sensors are working properly. How do they know they're working? easy, they advance the timing until some knock counts are seen! So if you're only getting a couple knock counts and it isn't happening EVERY time you're in that "cell" then don't worry about it. Might even try adding a couple degrees in that cell to see if it increases the counts or not. That's how I determine if it's ecm or actual.
The other way to tune is make a change, do an acceleration run on a patch of road that is flat, measure the time it takes to go from one speed to another, since you've got stick you can assume no clutch slip and use RPM instead of vehicle speed. This is the best determination. BTW, that'll be $3405.64 or a 6-pack of Yuengling :P lol
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:26 PM   #6
Little G
Lifetime Power Member

Well then... I'll bring a 6pk of Porter with my usual 12pk of Amstel on Thursday.

Old 01-31-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little G
Well then... I'll bring a 6pk of Porter with my usual 12pk of Amstel on Thursday.
you'll be in florida on thursday dumb ass

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
Little G
Lifetime Power Member

oh yeah...rain check, Prevost.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:19 AM   #9
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little G
oh yeah...rain check, Prevost.
You want to leave a credit card so we can order the flanges and what not that you will need for your headers?

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #10
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasterthanyou
We'll talk more in person on Thursday at Matt's. I'll have my catalog ready for you to get your exhaust parts ordered.
The gist of timing is mostly head design and cam. Other things have very little effect on the main SA table. For emissions purposes the timing is tailored to the desired AFR.
General rules: Lean mixtures require more timing than stoich. Really dense cold air also requires more timing. On a cold engine start the pcm is trying to lite the cats as fast as possible and to do this they usually have a tad slightly retarded timing from optimal and run EXTRA rich. If you lean out the cold start AFRs a tad you'll want to add a degree or 2.
Generally speaking knock counts are bad but don't get caught up in the "oh look, knock counts, gotta take out timing at that spot in the main SA table." The pcms run tests on the system ALL the time, especially OBDII. One of those tests is to make certain the knock sensors are working properly. How do they know they're working? easy, they advance the timing until some knock counts are seen! So if you're only getting a couple knock counts and it isn't happening EVERY time you're in that "cell" then don't worry about it. Might even try adding a couple degrees in that cell to see if it increases the counts or not. That's how I determine if it's ecm or actual.
The other way to tune is make a change, do an acceleration run on a patch of road that is flat, measure the time it takes to go from one speed to another, since you've got stick you can assume no clutch slip and use RPM instead of vehicle speed. This is the best determination. BTW, that'll be $3405.64 or a 6-pack of Yuengling :P lol
deja vu
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning