Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 12-26-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

help needed Fuel pump getting no signal

ok, my brothers 87 GTA has been taking up precious garage space here at my house for over a year now, and it's because the fuel pump wont turn on,

i went through some similar issues with my car, from dropping my 87 IROC's fuel tank, pump, lines, etc, and getting mine working again... and more recently replacing the computer (ECM) when it blew, causing my pump to stop working

---with my brothers car, we have dropped hte tank, replaced the pump with a new one, and checked the fuel relay (on the firewall drivers side) etc...

my question is, what else could this possibly be.. the pump works, we have hooked it up to a 12 volt batt. and it runs, when we hook it up to the harness connector above the rear axel, it gets no impulse.. a test light confirms that there is electircal impulse there at the harness... how can we furthur diagnose this, fix this, or what else could it be,....

is there a FUSE someplace? there has to be? anybody know where? .. when we try to start the car.. the fuel pump relay box makes a click , but the pump makes no noise.. what does this mean???

-any help would be appreciated... as i am trying to get his car out of hte garage and mine inthere so i can begin the massive overhaul on the bodywork and paint...

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

there is a fuse in the fuse box. the other possibility is the pass through behind/under the rear seats. i have heard about a few people getting some moisture in them and havign corrosion issues before.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:10 PM   #3
The Fixer

Probe the fuel pump power wire above the tank with the key off, then turn the key on. It should light up for approx. 2-3 seconds and then shut off. If that works, then the pump should work when you turn the car on. If that test works, the fuse and relay are both working. Maybe the wire that runs between the outside of the sending unit to the pump inside the tank is toasted.

Another thing, does the car have VATS? Maybe there's an issue with that circuit.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
89 Trans Am WS6

there should be a fuel pump test connector next to or in the area of the FP relay..its a one wire connector thats just hanging there..if you give that 12 volts and hear the pump run u know the lenth of wiring to the pump and including the pump is good
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
Wasted Youth

you will need a wiring diagram and im not currently looking at one but check resistance between the relay and the fuel pump and see what comes up...if nothing...trace the wire all the way back...and find the bad spot....

1980 Ducati Darmah 12:1 arias pistons, 88mm cylinders, 44mm intake 40mm exhaust valves, Imola cam, NCR race exhaust, 40mm intakes, 40mm dellorto carbs, etc

www.myspace.com/onesykgta
Wasted Youth is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring