Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Blacdout96

Cannonball Run!!! I wanna do that, how bout you?

Ok, first off, i had a small discussion about this earlier today, adn since then I couldnt get it out of my mind. If anybody knows racing, illegal racing, or hell even Burt Reynolds, you'll of heard about the race called cannonball. Cannonballs name was originated by Erwin George "Cannonball" Baker, who did distance races from one point to another, and made many records. In the 70's Brock Yates started what would become the greatest non-sanctioned racig event in the world to this day. Anywho, I want to do a Cannonball run. Whats a Cannonball run? its a race between NEw york to California in the shortest amount of time. the person wiht teh quickest time wins. I know it sounds bizzare, but its actually not the long of a race. How long you ask? the shortest recorded time was 32:51....thats under a Day and a half!!! Ok, could this happen, theres no such thing as impossible, could this ever get put together....yeah, but probably not. I just wanna do it, It doesnt need 50 cars to do it, at least 7-18 would be fine lol. But in all seriousness, who hear says that it is an awsome idea, and be realistic too, dont just say Id do it in a heartbeat, but for me, im ready to do it, you just gotta say, screw it, theres some things in life I wanna do ,adn can do, and this is a can do if it got put together. so whos wiht me here, who would be cool to do that run, not this year, maybe next year when we got more members, and are a more refined club I guess you can say. Oh and if you wanna find more out about this, read the book "Cannonball!, Worlds greatest outlaw race, or wath cannonball run and cannonball run 2, or my personnal favorite, Gumball Rally ( which was bitterly criticized by Brock Yates when it was made, to this day he refuses to see the movie!!)
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

if you try to do it separately from the Gumball they do each year, youll probably get arrested

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Blacdout96

well, your not supposed to go 140 across America, if you keep a steady, but good pace, you'll havea great overall time from york to cali. And thats such a rip off from it, I spit at whoever ame up with gumball rally. like I said, read the cannonball book, and see what they drove, they drove anything from ferraris, to daulies and ambulances lol, and cannball one, alot fo the parts were true to the real race, like when they got pulled over in Jersey, and the cops believed them.... Im saying, you just need a good average speed.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

ummm, gumbal adn canonball co-existed for many years. i dunno why you would be pissed at one if you think the other is such a good idea.
if anything i would want to do the gumbal rally. driving foot to the floor through countries that mostly don't care and then partying all night in international 5star hotels sounds like a way better time than trying to avoid american cops for 24+ hours straight

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Blacdout96

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
ummm, gumbal adn canonball co-existed for many years. i dunno why you would be pissed at one if you think the other is such a good idea.
if anything i would want to do the gumbal rally. driving foot to the floor through countries that mostly don't care and then partying all night in international 5star hotels sounds like a way better time than trying to avoid american cops for 24+ hours straight
Co existed? the last cannonball race ( ran by BRock Yates and Car and Driver) was in 1979.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #6
HardcoreZ28

There's also the Bull Run. A buddy and I applied for the Spike TV reality show about the race but weren't choosen.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
BonzoHansen
Admin.

One Lap Of America

Get out your checkbook.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
Blacdout96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
One Lap Of America

Get out your checkbook.
Ah yeah I totally forgot about that run, and yes, the checkbook is needed for htat one. The bull run, eh it was a reality show right, I remember seeing something like that, it was liek a road rules meets gumball thing, i didnt care for it much lol.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
baddest434
8 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
One Lap Of America

Get out your checkbook.
fill me in grasshopper?
idk what that is.
baddest434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #10
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Google FTW

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
baddest434
8 Second Club

damn you i'm tired i'll check tommorrow. psst you could have made my life a little easier. but thanks i'll check tommorrow
Old 02-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
Co existed? the last cannonball race ( ran by BRock Yates and Car and Driver) was in 1979.
and the first gumbal was run in 1974. it jsut vanished for a long time a few years later until the current iteration that mostly runs through europe and northern african nations. gumball has turned into a social event just as much as it was ever intended to be a "rally"

Old 02-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #13
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Thumbs up

I'd be happy to run the Silver State or Maxton Mile. I need to go over 200 mph at least once in my life!

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!

Last edited by unstable bob gable; 02-03-2007 at 12:35 PM.
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #14
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

did you say maxton?
i am working on that one with various people. if all goes according to plan there will be a spring '08 all f-body speed trial there. i still have to cordinate the club schedules with the ECTA guys, but i think we are going to be able to make that happen.
time for everyone to put those stock 3.08/2.73/2.41 gears back in their cars to try to pull the big numbers

Old 02-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #15
LongHairedGuyNY
Lifetime Power Member

http://www.bullrun.com/template.php?id=1
LongHairedGuyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
did you say maxton?
i am working on that one with various people. if all goes according to plan there will be a spring '08 all f-body speed trial there. i still have to cordinate the club schedules with the ECTA guys, but i think we are going to be able to make that happen.
time for everyone to put those stock 3.08/2.73/2.41 gears back in their cars to try to pull the big numbers
If I put a hood bird on my AMX can I enter? My 79 T/A woulda been perfect; 455 Olds powered, and a 2.41 rear.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!

Last edited by unstable bob gable; 02-03-2007 at 12:36 PM.
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #17
baddest434
8 Second Club

you did make life easier. thank you

Last edited by baddest434; 02-03-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #18
Blacdout96

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob gable View Post
I'd be happy to run the Silver State or Maxton Mile. I need to go over 200 mph at least once in my life!
silver state baby, Id love to do that, I read some of the rules tho, the first couple of times oyou do it, oyu gotta go a certain sped, adn then like after you done some tests or something you can go unlimited, I forget, but Id love to do that. See, theres better **** out there then just the 1/4 mile, and the last time I checked, theres not too many road course tracks in America oyu can hit 200 on but that would be something spectacular to do, put NJFBOA stickers all around ,get people to know who we are outside of the tri state area, but in the end, just have a damn blast, do something that you can tell your grand kids ( if you dont already have em) in the future and say that. Theres not too many people who can say theymaxed out on the highway, and got away wiht it, i mena these are cool ideas, but theres one thing that needs to happen to make it happen, money, and determination of the NJFBOA members and fans. So members, its time to open your wallets and give till it hurts......your bank account lol
Old 02-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #19
Blacdout96

Quote:
did you say maxton?
If you need any help on any of this bro, let me know, Im itching to use my competition lisence. I may not have connections, but Ive always wanted to find my life's purpose, and I feel its in doing these kinds of runs, as well as like the Penns Hill Climb, or Historic classics around here. So im in full support of these ideas
Old 02-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #20
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

expect to see it on our '08 events calendar

Old 02-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #21
Blacdout96

sweet

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge