Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
renxwar

Ugh: Anyone know a good traffic court lawyer?

Well, after two months of my car being down I finally got my clutch in and broken in.. so of course, I got frisky. I made a wrong turn, so I was turning around in an empty parking lot and stabbed the gas. As I was leaving, of course the cop comes out of nowhere and waits for me to make my turn. I get lit up.

I ended up getting a careless driving ticket.. but here's the question: My car is registered and and I'm licensed in NC.. how would the ticket points transfer, if at all? How many points/what cost does a careless driving ticket bring?

And of course.. does anyone know any good traffic court lawyers that can get me out of this in the Evesham/Cherry Hill area?
1999 Camaro SS M6 #2801 (Fquick)
1994 Camaro Z28 A4 Not Stock

1996 Camaro Z28 M6 Convertible Not stock (Fquick) (Wrecked, 2/28/06 )
1995 Camaro 3.4L (Fquick) (Sold, 8/05 )
renxwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Careless in NJ is 2 points and an ~$80 fine, IIRC (I'm positive about the points).

Not sure how that will transfer to NC though.....

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
maroman88
12 Second Club

i plead my careless down to an unsafe, it was my first moving violation ever. careless is $85 and 2 points, the unsafe ended up costing me just under 500 with no points. i didnt need a lawyer, i had a cop friend talk to the issuing officer, the friend was actually his sgt lol
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Knipps

i had my reckless knocked down to careless. which was still BS (but that's not what this is about)
best place to look about NC points transferring would be the dmv site for the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
ryanfx
King of Free

who owned the parking lot? You may be able to argue about issuing a ticket on private property
ryanfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
renxwar

It was the shoprite parking lot.. no luck on the cop friend, I don't know anyone up here. I'm on my 5th ticket, so I wouldn't exactly be able to pull the good behavior card. How hard would it be to talk them down? I can pay 500$ for -2 points..

Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Check on the point transfer situation before worrying about pleading to a lesser charge.

::edit:: Doesn't look good man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact

- Justin

Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
NightRydaSS

its was an empty freaking parking lot; who the crap cares? Why is that careless driving? It was empty, i could see doing that on the street, that would be careless.

I got pulled over in DE at the border of DE and OC Maryland and got a ticket. The cop didn't even want to see my FOP card. I was caught in a speed trap, with a map in my hand and the handsfree kit on tryin to get directions. The speed went from 55 to 35 in like 20 ft and i didn't see it. I had my radar off b/c i could hear the directions. I paid the fine and never got the points. This was about a yr and a half ago too.

Eff Dr. Phil; my M6 SS is the only Therapist I need!

Light travels faster then sound; that is why some people appear to be smart until they speak - Unknown
NightRydaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
renxwar

Oh, its alittle worse than that.. It was an empty parking lot, and I only stabbed the gas to bring it around. Maybe a 3 second loss of traction. When he pulled me over, he looked right at my thin blue line sticker (Both my parents are cops). Then he looked at my National Guard shirt, asked where I was stationed, how long I've been there, and when I leave. Then he came back with a nice ticket for me.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
maroman88
12 Second Club

LOL wow he must not have been in a good mood, u couldnt be more hooked up then that
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
Old 08-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #11
79T/A

Quote:
When he pulled me over, he looked right at my thin blue line sticker (Both my parents are cops). Then he looked at my National Guard shirt, asked where I was stationed, how long I've been there, and when I leave. Then he came back with a nice ticket for me.
While you were at fault for having too much fun, that cop was most definitely a douchebag. A member of our armed forces AND a direct family member of a cop? Have you mentioned this to your folks? I'll bet that will piss them off more than the offense.

Don't waste money on the lawyer. First, CALL the NC State DMV and find out about the points transfer. If the points don't transfer over, pay the fine and be done with it.

Have you ever been convicted of careless driving or speeding before in NJ? If you have benefitted from the lesser statute (N.J.S. 39: 4-97.2, Unsafe Operation of a Motor Vehicle) twice before, you can't do it again. If you have not, then ask the prosecutor about pleading guilty to that offense. It will indeed cost you just under $500 but for no points and thousands in insurance increases, it's worth it.

And next time, look around for cops before you stab the skinny pedal!
79T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
renxwar

Yeah I talked to my mother, and she agreed with me.. definitely a ******** ticket.

I've never been convicted of ANYTHING in NJ, but I've got 3 speeding tickets, a lawyer-assisted no-points charge for speeding, and thanks to another douchebag cop, an unsafe movement charge from my accident (funny how you can drive carelessly when a car pulls out infront of you and you run into the side of them.. oh well.) Do you think those would come back to bite me on the *** on this one, or do you think its solely going to be a "slap on the wrist, pay me 500$" thing if I go in and talk to them?

Also, does it work the same way as in NC.. you go to your court hearing, then before the case is pled you talk to the DA who then works out the deal (usually involving less points more money) then you just plead guilty to that talked-down charge to the judge?

Old 08-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by renxwar View Post
Also, does it work the same way as in NC.. you go to your court hearing, then before the case is pled you talk to the DA who then works out the deal (usually involving less points more money) then you just plead guilty to that talked-down charge to the judge?
yes.

sorry you got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, but you do know the cop is just doing his job, right? not that any of us like to part with our hard-earned greenbacks, but whether it be thought of as a douchebag maneuver or no, he is doing his job. how likely are you to stab the pedal in his jurisdiction again? if you say not likely, then he has done his job.

btw, i am not a cop, but i have been around long enough to know how many of them think. also, i have heard a cop discussing a case, state, "hell, no, i don't remember that case. i can't remember what i had for lunch yesterday. i just look at my notes on the report and i go into court and lie." i know that will piss many people off, and yes, i know that all cops are not created equal and that many would never do something like this, but hearing it come from a cop's mouth really burns my balls. and, of course, you know the judge will take his word over yours.

so while i would never call a cop a douchebag and know that most of them are just doing their job, i also know that they are people, too.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #14
renxwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims69camaro View Post
yes.

sorry you got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, but you do know the cop is just doing his job, right? not that any of us like to part with our hard-earned greenbacks, but whether it be thought of as a douchebag maneuver or no, he is doing his job. how likely are you to stab the pedal in his jurisdiction again? if you say not likely, then he has done his job.

btw, i am not a cop, but i have been around long enough to know how many of them think. also, i have heard a cop discussing a case, state, "hell, no, i don't remember that case. i can't remember what i had for lunch yesterday. i just look at my notes on the report and i go into court and lie." i know that will piss many people off, and yes, i know that all cops are not created equal and that many would never do something like this, but hearing it come from a cop's mouth really burns my balls. and, of course, you know the judge will take his word over yours.

so while i would never call a cop a douchebag and know that most of them are just doing their job, i also know that they are people, too.
You've got me on the wrong side now. Read up.. both my parents are cops. My mothers been in law enforcement since I was 2, and my father has been in it for 22+ years. I know the ins and outs of pretty much everything like that. Not once have I said anything bad about the cop, or done a woe-is-me. I'm just asking for advice on how to handle it.. this isn't the first time I've been in the wrong place at the wrong time and done something stupid.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:43 PM   #15
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by renxwar View Post
You've got me on the wrong side now. Read up.. both my parents are cops. My mothers been in law enforcement since I was 2, and my father has been in it for 22+ years. I know the ins and outs of pretty much everything like that. Not once have I said anything bad about the cop, or done a woe-is-me. I'm just asking for advice on how to handle it.. this isn't the first time I've been in the wrong place at the wrong time and done something stupid.
right. not calling your parents on anything or saying they've ever done what was stated above, just that cops are people too. also, that the cop was just doing his job. sometimes i tend to ramble on, trying to make too many points in a single post. sorry.

anyway, it's true that you can talk to the prosecutor beforehand and work out a deal, then once your case is called the deal will be put before the judge. should he agree (most likely) then he gavels the case and you go off to pay the fine. most of the time it's in your best interest to have the cash when you go to court (knowing this time that it'll be around $500, i'd take the 5 bills with me), if it's a sizeable amount, the judge usually has a heart and allows time payments.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L

Last edited by jims69camaro; 08-15-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #16
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Make sure you call the court and tell them you are gonna plead not guilty - you can't just show up on the date on the ticket and attempt to fight it (unless it's marked that a court appearance is required).

- Justin

Old 08-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #17
jims69camaro

another tidbit of info for those that care: cops are assigned "court days", as in a specific day of the month that they should schedule their cases for. when the cop writes a ticket, he writes the date in as being his assigned court day. judges got fed up with not being able to find a particular cop during court, so the compromise was reached that all cops have a certain day that they write in on the ticket. this way, vacations and what-not can be scheduled around. this is why sometimes the date is next month and sometimes it's next week. just thought i'd share that with you.

this makes it extremely easy to get a ticket thrown out of court if the cop who wrote the ticket can't be found. they usually give him a call and allow him some time to get to the courthouse, but if he doesn't show, you get a free ride.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 08-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #18
79T/A

[QUOTE][another tidbit of info for those that care: cops are assigned "court days", as in a specific day of the month that they should schedule their cases for. when the cop writes a ticket, he writes the date in as being his assigned court day. judges got fed up with not being able to find a particular cop during court, so the compromise was reached that all cops have a certain day that they write in on the ticket. this way, vacations and what-not can be scheduled around. this is why sometimes the date is next month and sometimes it's next week. just thought i'd share that with you.

this makes it extremely easy to get a ticket thrown out of court if the cop who wrote the ticket can't be found. they usually give him a call and allow him some time to get to the courthouse, but if he doesn't show, you get a free ride.
/QUOTE]

That's the way it goes in some places. In others, the officer is ONLY subpoenad for court if you call up and say that you are going to contest the susmmons. If you do not call and just show up, the cop most likely won't be there unless they happen to be working. Usually, they give the officer two opportunities to appear and if he or she doesn't show the second time, then dismissal becomes an option.
79T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #19
maroman88
12 Second Club

in my small town, court is always on i think the 3rd or 4th thursday of the month
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge