Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > South Jersey

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
Bcozzi71

South jersey Techs

Anyone know of a good shop or anyone looking for a side job to do a valve adjustment on my firebird. Its my 3.4L v6 with the valve tap. I want to do it myself but little nervous about starting a project like this alone.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
S.J.SLEEPER

what year is the firebird? i'm not big on v6 but i know my way around v8's. i thought the 3.4 &3.8 had hydraulic lifters in it. meaning there would be no adjustment of valves.
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
Bcozzi71

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER View Post
what year is the firebird? i'm not big on v6 but i know my way around v8's. i thought the 3.4 &3.8 had hydraulic lifters in it. meaning there would be no adjustment of valves.
its a 95... It does have hydraulic lifters, but after i did a oil change I have this noise. Sound like a valve tap to me. It speeds up with higher RPMS.

Although My EGR is starting to fail, would that make a tapping noise.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
S.J.SLEEPER

egr won't do it.
how many miles? high miles on a abused engine sometimes ou have to run like 15w40 or 20w50 in it.
it might have had a noise in it before you got it and the seller put some lucas or motor honey in it to quiet it down. then you just changed the oil and now its making noise again with the thinner weight oil.
you can try fixing the niose by draining the oil. fill with dexron mercon tranny fluid. tranny fluid is a detergent oil and if you have lifters/ rockers that are clogged/gummed up from dirty oil in past the tranny fluid will clean it and restore the engine. its an old timers trick.
you want to let the car run for an hour or 2 sometimes bad noise you need to drive the car for a day or 2 with it in it. drain it you will see it oil will be nasty, then change filter & replace with a 15/40 or 20w50 for the summer high heat months. winter change back over to 10w40(the thicker the oil in winter the harder it is on engine on cold starts.
hope this info helps you.
p.s. i had a 99 v6 camaro that had the tapping noise and i did this procedure drove for a couple days w/ trans fluid. changed it put new oil in and noise never came back
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
camaro2you

If you want someone local to look at the car shoot me a pm.
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
Saitin
Banned

Quote:
egr won't do it.
how many miles? high miles on a abused engine sometimes ou have to run like 15w40 or 20w50 in it.
it might have had a noise in it before you got it and the seller put some lucas or motor honey in it to quiet it down. then you just changed the oil and now its making noise again with the thinner weight oil.
you can try fixing the niose by draining the oil. fill with dexron mercon tranny fluid. tranny fluid is a detergent oil and if you have lifters/ rockers that are clogged/gummed up from dirty oil in past the tranny fluid will clean it and restore the engine. its an old timers trick.
you want to let the car run for an hour or 2 sometimes bad noise you need to drive the car for a day or 2 with it in it. drain it you will see it oil will be nasty, then change filter & replace with a 15/40 or 20w50 for the summer high heat months. winter change back over to 10w40(the thicker the oil in winter the harder it is on engine on cold starts.
p.s. i had a 99 v6 camaro that had the tapping noise and i did this procedure drove for a couple days w/ trans fluid. changed it put new oil in and noise never came back
What he said I used this trick on my 94 3.4l and it worked like a charm..
Saitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Bcozzi71

Quote:
egr won't do it.
thanks yea my dad was telling me to try this trick. The car has lucas stuff and 15w40 in it now. I thought if I ran it a few hundred miles it would go away. I might train it out again and try that trick.

Thanks

PS found a 88 Camaro 305 Auto with a blown tranny $350 bucks might be my new project lol

Last edited by Bcozzi71; 08-11-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Bcozzi71 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > South Jersey