Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

Question Need some help trying to diag. 01' impala

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, i will try to break it down and give the most info i can.

2001 Chevy Impala 3.4l v6 140,000 miles

Since my gf got this car about a year ago it as been non stop problems between suspension and everything in between so i will list what may be relevant.I will add them if it may help diag it since it can be multiple issues.

Fuel Gauge sweeping - replaced fuel pump assembly not just the level sensor (after market)
Coolant Gauge not reading at all - replaced thermostat and ECT. Flushed coolant (a/c Delco)

The car has been having two issues i cannot seem to find. There has only been one code for an oil level switch which i replaced from what i researched on it and it was only 8$.

The car randomly will have a long crank/no crank. Cold, hot, long distance, short distance trips.

The car will shutter at stop sign/stop lights or any time the car comes to a stop after driving sometimes or it will shut off after starting to pull away from the stop sometimes. Get a battery light put it in nuetral and it sometimes will start right back up no problem. Possibly same problem ?

So far to try and correct this i have found. . .
Broken PCV hose from pcv to intake boot
Oil level switch fault implausibility i think it was (replaced)
Checked battery voltage and alternator output (both good)

Thinking MAF going bad, vacuum leak and/or crank/cam sensor.

Also has an exhaust leak at the resonator which does not seem to be effecting short term or long term fuel trim. Hopefully some one here has encountered this when they brought there car in to get it serviced or has fixed them at the dealer. Please help need ideas on where to go. I have no codes as of last time i checked last week.

Last edited by MyFirstZ; 01-16-2011 at 09:41 PM.
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Might want to look around for tsb's. I think there is one for something along those lines and its a computer reprogram.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

oh guess i will try googling it or see if someone on ls1tech can get it if no one here can
Old 01-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

forgot to mention there is no tach.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Firebird92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFirstZ View Post
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, i will try to break it down and give the most info i can.

2001 Chevy Impala 3.4l v6 140,000 miles

Since my gf got this car about a year ago it as been non stop problems between suspension and everything in between so i will list what may be relevant.I will add them if it may help diag it since it can be multiple issues.

Fuel Gauge sweeping - replaced fuel pump assembly not just the level sensor (after market)
Coolant Gauge not reading at all - replaced thermostat and ECT. Flushed coolant (a/c Delco)

The car has been having two issues i cannot seem to find. There has only been one code for an oil level switch which i replaced from what i researched on it and it was only 8$.

The car randomly will have a long crank/no crank. Cold, hot, long distance, short distance trips.

The car will shutter at stop sign/stop lights or any time the car comes to a stop after driving sometimes or it will shut off after starting to pull away from the stop sometimes. Get a battery light put it in nuetral and it sometimes will start right back up no problem. Possibly same problem ?

So far to try and correct this i have found. . .
Broken PCV hose from pcv to intake boot
Oil level switch fault implausibility i think it was (replaced)
Checked battery voltage and alternator output (both good)

Thinking MAF going bad, vacuum leak and/or crank/cam sensor.

Also has an exhaust leak at the resonator which does not seem to be effecting short term or long term fuel trim. Hopefully some one here has encountered this when they brought there car in to get it serviced or has fixed them at the dealer. Please help need ideas on where to go. I have no codes as of last time i checked last week.

oo yes the the chevy v6 curse lol i know these well. i mostly had every v6 form the 2.8 to the 4.3(350 -2 cylinders). there great motors and will less for ever but just have the crazy problems..... ok lets get started.

1 has the car be in a front end accident or has evident it was bottomed out. i ask this because if it's hit hard it may have messed up the reads on the crank not the sensor but the magnetic pickups on the crank itself. and is the bottom of it covered in oil or does it leak oil at all.

Coolant Gauge not reading at all this was a wiring problem check the wires running form the sensor to the firewall. can be a burn wire. or the cluster itself is messed up

I know this may sound dumb but are u using 5w30 or 10w30 because in my 1999 Chevy lumina if i use 5w30 that light will come on and in my Corsica if i use 10w30 it will come on. idk why it maybe just that sensitive. a other thing to is sludge when i did my oil pan gasket the sludge was so bad i had to use a paint scarper which broke to get it out.

The Fuel Gauge sweeping is because for some reason or there's no fuel tank splash guard in the these cars or it broke off or a part of it broke off. or can be a bad ground too

a other question does the car stall when u hold the brake . did it ever stall at idle (not after a drive just starting it in the morning)

no tach as in it don't work or there isn't one in the cluster ?

Last edited by Firebird92; 01-17-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Firebird92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
Vinnie Madrox

Check all the wires going into the PCM. A lot of those electrical and studdering problems (shutting off, going from a dtop light, etc) sound like PCM problems. Check the wires going to it for exposed wire or try replacing the PCM itself....

http://www.MAGMAlliance.com
Vinnie Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

think we are using 5w-30, yes it leaks oil should have mentioned that.

we have no record of any accidents

the coolant gauge works now after the ECT and thermostat just want to state what i did.

i think it stalls after starting it but not often at all. Mostly stalls as soon as you start to pull away from a stop. But at idle it will feel like it is about to, you can rev it and it will go away.

the fuel gauge is a hell of alot more stable now then it was so moves very little compared to the 3/4 tank sweeping it did.

no tach in the cluster. . . just threee gauge cluster lol, just said that so you know i have no rpms to read
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Firebird92

Quote:
think we are using 5w-30, yes it leaks oil should have mentioned that.

we have no record of any accidents

the coolant gauge works now after the ECT and thermostat just want to state what i did.

i think it stalls after starting it but not often at all. Mostly stalls as soon as you start to pull away from a stop. But at idle it will feel like it is about to, you can rev it and it will go away.

the fuel gauge is a hell of alot more stable now then it was so moves very little compared to the 3/4 tank sweeping it did.

no tach in the cluster. . . just threee gauge cluster lol, just said that so you know i have no rpms to read
o ok mmm check the wires form oil level switch then it sound like there's alot of grounding issues or there some open wires now the stalling ... mm sounds like a cam or crank senor or the reads on the crank. or in some cases i seen the Ignition Control Module or the Igniter what the coils sit on be messed up. mmm and if i leaks oil bad it may have got in to the sensors.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

yeah, i cannot tell where it is leaking from, some seems to be coming from that front seal but i think the oil leak is effecting the magnetic pick up on the crank sensor. I dunno this car is just more then i want to deal with since it is not mine.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 AM   #10
Firebird92

no it isnt the oil that would mess it up its if the car ever been in an accident or if it had been bottomed out hard or if the plastic dust shield is messed up something may had messed up the crank pick up. i know how it is man my GF car was a mess i was under it more then my car to she blow the engine form running it with no oil. but if you want you can bring by my garage one of these days i would had it done in a day lol i been fixing these engines forever

Last edited by Firebird92; 01-20-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:54 AM   #11
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

i got access to my old shop and my shop now that i work out, just have to acquire that puller, either from one of the guys i work with or advanced

thanks for the offer though 8]
Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Frosty

The stalling problem really sounds like a cam or crank sensor.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Firebird92

Quote:
i got access to my old shop and my shop now that i work out, just have to acquire that puller, either from one of the guys i work with or advanced

thanks for the offer though 8]
is your crank pulley like this because what happen is the magnetic part in the inner ring (with all the slots) of the pulley gets bent or just rust apart, and sometimes rocks or road junkie gets in there and breaks it to,
Old 01-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

no idea, it is not my car and if the snow holds off i will let you know tommorrow when i see her

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning