Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
alamantia

Question aboyt 350 rockers

I just picked up a 1987 Wellcraft Elite for myself for christmas. Seems real clean, the only thing that I noticed from running the engine for en extended amount of time is that there was some oil birning off of the starboard exhaust manifold. I suspect a leaky valve cover gasket, so I bought a set of cork gaskets yesterday. This motor is a 1987 chevy 350 with permiter bolt valve covers (not center bolt valve covers) a long time ago, I had a 3rd gen iroc with a 350 and I bought a set of brand new stamped steel roller tiped rockers that I intended on using in the iroc, needless to say, I never did install them. Since I have to remove the valve covers on my boat.... hummmmmm... I looked at the box and they say "Vortech 1.6 roller tip self-aligning" I thionk I can use these on a regular 350 right? Does anone now for sure? I always thought vortech heads got the center bolt valve covers, even if mine just has the old style valve covers it shouldnt be a difference I dont think. What the hell is "self-aligning" anyway, just the divit for the pushrod?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boat 7.jpg (73.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg boat 5.jpg (66.1 KB, 12 views)
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Self aligning non roller tips will be the divet that the rocker will sit on the pushrod with, and self aligning roller tips will have two small tabs to keep the rocker centered on the valve stem.

For the gain you may get, versus the risk of killing a spring from 1987, I would not risk it. I am not all that versed in non roller hydraulic lifters, but that may also not like the small added spring pressure.

If you do not know the history of when the manifolds where last changed out, when you pull the valve cover and manifold check em out. I think for salt water cooled ones, you can usually get 2 to 3 years out of em before they rust away. That and of course, replace the manifold gaskets, and riser gaskets, in your case they don't look so bad to change. And then finally, the rubber boots that connect the riser to the elbow and "y pipe" should be replaced as well if you are there.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I bookmarked this a while ago, maybe this will help

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...2&t=126&p=1270

Near zero gain, IMO don't fix what isn't broken.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
alamantia

I now know more than I will ever need to know about rockers... ever...

J/k, thanks
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning