Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #26
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Yes. Give me a good cruise night over anything with awards. Although I could do w/o paying to go to a cruise night with no charity involved. But I digress.
Same for the Wyckoff & Whiskey shows up north, it was just a place for everyone to get together, they were the perfect speed. I think Whiskey since it was a bars parking lot stepped it up with music and food.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #27
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I like when the entry goes towards a good cause, warm and fuzzy!
Old 07-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #28
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Yes. Give me a good cruise night over anything with awards. Although I could do w/o paying to go to a cruise night with no charity involved. But I digress.

I think the bottom line here is pretty clear though: Brian is not allowed to bring either of his cars to any judged setting in which I'm entered. However, feel free to let me put fingerprints all over either of your beasts at a cruise night #HarrisonBergeron

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 07-12-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #29
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post

I think the bottom line here is pretty clear though: Brian is not allowed to bring either of his cars to any judged setting in which I'm entered. However, feel free to let me put fingerprints all over either of your beasts at a cruise night #HarrisonBergeron
I'd wait a few years to do that until they have the robotic prosthetics well sorted.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:51 AM   #30
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

I chuckled at this topic, i remember talking to you about that night when your dirty car won that trophy and how you felt like a jerkoff. To me winning a trophy at a cruise night is almost always a participation trophy. Very rarely are they actually judged, so winning a trophy doesnt really mean much anyway. I do feel some kind of way when a really really nice custom car doesnt win said participation trophy but the new car designed and built by a corporation does, but come enough and the custom will get the trophy, new hellcats and vettes cant win everytime.

Bottom line to me is, cruise nights are for participation, comradery and a chance to escape girlfriends and wives. Trophies are a littler perk and if you are getting salty enough to make a big stink about a new showroom car getting one and not your 1969 (fill in the blank) than you have bigger problems.
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge

Last edited by redsoxsstink; 07-13-2016 at 02:52 AM.
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:06 AM   #31
BonzoHansen
Admin.

^^what he said!

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #32
Blackbirdws6

Well put Nick.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 07-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #33
elle

I like cruise nights and car shows. I usually don't participate in either. I like to park , look around and leave (sometimes eat). I will never spend an entire evening or day doing either. Now my wife has a "new" muscle car it's strange going to these events. We don't want to "enter". We just want to park and enjoy. Most local car shows are rigged. I just went to a really small local show a few weeks ago. There had to be 30 -40 trophies and the show was lucky to have 50 cars. We personally like all years of all cars/trucks/bikes.
elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #34
69RSZ

If everyone just went to have a good time and be with car people who enjoy car shows or cruise nights there would be no hard feelings.Go and have a good time and the heck with the stupid trophy

Last edited by 69RSZ; 07-15-2016 at 12:12 PM.
69RSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #35
1972LT1
The Plague

Used to love the cruise nights at Fuddruckers in Turnersville before the ricers killed it. There also used to be a decent Sunday night show at Crispin Square in Marlton. It was sponsored by the gto club. After a while there were always 2 or 3 gto club members winning trophys and the judges ignored the Camaros that came to the event. They didn't even bother to collect the entry form that you filled out and leave on the drivers side dash.
1972LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:01 PM   #36
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972LT1 View Post
Used to love the cruise nights at Fuddruckers in Turnersville before the ricers killed it.

Yup, that's the truth right there.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:16 AM   #37
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

I don't have a pristine show car, so I know I'm never going to win. If there is no money involved, then I realllly don't care. If there's a money prize and some peckerhead in a brand new stock car wins... I'd feel bad for the other guys who put their blood sweat and tears into their car. again, idgaf because I'm neva eva gonna win

P.S. add me on facebook bitches
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol

Last edited by ThoR294; 09-03-2016 at 12:16 AM.
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:50 AM   #38
KevinW

Glad this thread was brought back up! Missed it while I was on vacation!

When I first went to cruises/shows with my freshly restored car, yes the way the trophies were given out did bug me. But as I got older and wiser (too old now ), the shows and cruise are just an excuse to get out for a drive. I am not one to just drive around without a destination, like my neighbor (68 Camaro, 69 ELC, 83 KenWorth Cali special).

I like to have a place to go (a place I have never been to is ideal!), see some friends, meet new people, see some cars, have something to eat or an ice cream. That is what it is all about.

If I pay for a show (man the prices are going up!), then I stick around to see who wins the trophies. I really like the unique ones. Otherwise I leave before trophy time.

I remember a time when everyone left a cruise night early except for me and my friends because we got there later and ate dinner. So we got all the trophies, cause we were the only ones left. Had a big laugh!

I do not mind the new cars (I call them checkbook show cars). Mostly they are the higher horsepower, more rare versions and it is good to see them. If they win a peer judged trophy, good for them. Keeps them coming back.

If someone has a nice car and put the time into cleaning it and going to an event, donating to the club/business/charity, then it is all good. Having a good turnout of cars will keep these events going and growing.

I even got a chuckle out of the army of older Toyota Camrys at the South Brunswick show. If you are proud of your car, show it off

Car showing is always evolving. Way back when, it was the Model T's and A's that people kept and showed, now those are parked in garages and that segment is graying. Newer cars from the 50s took their place, and so it goes.

So as long as you get you car out, support the business and clubs willing to put the time in to organize these (lots of work and Insurance!), then life is good.

Thinking about going to the Silver Diner show in Cherry Hill on Monday. Long drive and we like the Diner and I have never been to this show. Plus it is on Labor Day! Weather permitting of course

Last edited by KevinW; 09-03-2016 at 07:51 AM.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #39
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Thinking about going to the Silver Diner show in Cherry Hill on Monday. Long drive and we like the Diner and I have never been to this show. Plus it is on Labor Day! Weather permitting of course
Weather is the big factor, but if you do let me know. Its right around the corner from me

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #40
KevinW

Weather is getting better It will be a last minute decision when I wake up tomorrow. $20 show and I am on the fence.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #41
6spdg37s

I really would like to win at a car show at some point with my 01 SS that I have done alot of work done to. but i probably wont because ... my car is extremely clean for an 01 camaro ss ...but not as clean as a brand new painted car.
6spdg37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #42
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I remembered this thread just yesterday actually after leaving the car show at Nielsen Chevrolet (formerly Ayers Chevrolet) in Dover. Sunday, they had their first annual car show (which was postponed from last sunday). Had a good turnout of about 50-60 cars throughout the day, which isn't bad considering there were several other shows in a 20 mile radius or so.

I of course knew I wasn't winning a trophy and almost left early but I had cruised in with my neighbor and his custom 1940 something full blown resto-mod frame off custom Ford pickup truck, and he was chatting with a bunch of his buddies who all had custom coupes and vintage iron custom cars, so I decided to hangout and wait with him until the awards were finished so we could cruise home together.

Long story short, they didn't do any classes for cars to be judged, it was just a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophy for the whole show. No big deal. 3rd place went to a very nice 1960's something corvette i think. Second place went to some mildly modified (kinda silly looking) old VW bug beetle. Then.. 1st place went to a STOCK 2012 orange Dodge Charger SRT. what in the heck? The old guys from the "north jersey street rod" gang I was hanging out near were stunned. So was I. So were plenty of people who had nice chevelles, 1st gen camaros, old lead-sled rods, total custom built coupes and high dollar street rods. A stock challenger and a wacky VW bug?!?? Just didn't sit right with them; nor with me. Especially at show hosted by/at a Chevy dealership.

Reminded me of this discussion so i figured I'd share.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 10-17-2016 at 08:39 PM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:32 AM   #43
jeff wilson
11 Second Club

People are weak minded
Old 10-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #44
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Who were the judges? Kinda serious. Could have been the owner's kids or something like that....
Old 10-18-2016, 08:31 AM   #45
TaKid455

Trends I've seen are top X get a dust collector where X = 10, 20, ect.
'Fun' judging where its people's choice, random kids or people of special needs. While the show's intent is to be fun, it can cause unfairness/ butthurt as selections are being done by people with lack of understanding. Not their fault but I put it on the organizers to realize and understand the consequences as results similar to IROCZman15's observations can occur.

Other is no judging. Just come and enjoy.

I'm not in it for the dust collector, but if you're going to have selections, make it legit.
TaKid455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #46
edpontiac91

I was at the 2nd annual car show at Linden Airport today. Last year they had 350 cars. So I get there early, around 8:45 am and I'am number 99. OK, park the car, come to find out there are NO classes, JUST 115 trophies to the top 100. Fast forward to find out awards are to be given out at 3:30 and it is now 2:45 and I have not yet been "JUDGED". Go to the DJ, who I believe was Running the show and explain I still was not looked at. OK, I go back to my car and several minutes later TWO really old guys (from the Galloping Hill Car Club) show and and proceed to take down the information on my display card. NOW 15 seconds later they just turned around and TOOK OFF. Of course I was awarded nothing. My POINT here is NOT SOUR GRAPES or that I deserve anything, BUT don't tell me before the awards were given out, that they were overwhelmed by the fact that over 560 cars attended the show. If I paid the money and was one of the first 100 cars, but at the tail end of the judging, what was the sense of sending out two people (who did s**t) and wasted my time.
These shows have turned into a money machine because of a lack of classes, good judges (people who know what the hell they are looking at).
If you consider this to be a rant, your correct. Most shows do NOT have the man power to run a QUALITY program.
One LAST observation is the F-Body turnout. There were about six 1st and 2nd Gens, BUT except for myself, NO 3rd or 4th Gens at all, NOT even the Camaro group. This was to be the last event before the Winter and I thought some of the guys here would have showed up. No biggy

1994 25th ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM GT -1
of ONLY 2,000 made/ Only 128 made with a HURST 6-Speed Manual and 91 with T-Tops and Compact Disc/ K & N Filtercharger/Magnaflow Performance Muffler/Air Foil- ORIGINAL MINT Arctic White Ultra Rare SURVIVOR. DAYTONA 500 PACE CAR Decal Kit!

SOLD: 1989 Turbo T/A in 1991 it ran 12:18@115 mph
edpontiac91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #47
Blackbirdws6

I actually would have attended that show today as the Mopar folks were heading up there. I believe they took home most represented club. I was prepping for the track day tomorrow and needed every free minute. Glad you got the car out.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge