Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Title issue, error in VIN

So, a while back, after registering my one GTA, I noticed that there is an error in the vin number on the title/registration. After looking at other old paperwork that the previous owner left in the car, it seems that the error goes back until at least 2003 on the Connecticut motor vehicle system. So apparently the CT title I got had the error already on it.

Now, I looked into how to fix an error and NJMVC says:
Quote:
If you have an error on your title that needs to be corrected you can change it at a motor vehicle agency or through the mail.
  • Provide proof of correction
  • There is no charge to correct a title if the error was clearly caused by MVC. In all other cases, the title correction charge is $60
I'm fine with paying the 60 bucks since obviously it wasn't the NJ MVC who made the error, but I'm not completely sure as to what they consider "proof". I know many years ago I had to do a pencil etching of a vin plate on a pre-1981 car for a replacement title, but on that car it was easy to touch the vin, with my Trans Am, not so much. It would involve pulling the upper dash pad at the least, and I'm still not sure if I could get to it. Might need to pull the windshield to get a good tracing.

The error is in the digit that denotes the assembly plant. Third gen f bodies were built in norwood(code N) and van nuys(code L) from 1982-1987 and then only in van nuys from 1988-1992. Therefore my 11th digit should be an "L" and that is the only letter it could be. However my title/reg show a "C" as the assembly plant code.

I took several photos of the VIN plate and some of the vin stickers all over the car. All clearly show that the 11th digit is an "L". Would that be enough for the dmv to correct it? I couldn't find definitive proof online to document that all camaros/firebirds in 1988 were built at van nuys, or an official list of plant codes and what dates they were active. Wikipedia shows some stuff but I doubt they'd believe a wiki article.

So, do you think a bunch of actual 4x6 color photos of the vin plate and all the vin decals would be enough for the NJMVC to fix the error?

Oh, and NJMVC also sent me the renewal for the car registration. $46.50 for a year, but I just registered it last year. I have QQ plates(3 year reg, one time fee), so someone messed up. Now I have to go to the DMV to address that anyway, well, as soon as the government opens again....

Last edited by V; 07-03-2017 at 08:50 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

I would think that pictures would suffice, but you may need someone form the MVC to put eyes on the VIN and verify it is what it is. Since you already have the title and it's registered it shouldn't be a problem to bring it to a location.
I would start by calling the MVC and see what they say. You could TECHNICALLY say it was their fault since you have to write out the VIN on the registration card, unless you wrote what the title said instead of the actual VIN
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
V
Stalker

I took the title to the NJ MVC yesterday. They said they could not do anything about it at that time, but they photocopied the title and two of the pictures I took of the VIN plate and VIN sticker in the door. The lady gave them all to the supervisor and said I'd be getting a call at some point since they'd have to do a vehicle lookup, mainly because it came from out-of-state. I got the call this morning that everything checked out fine and the title will be fixed when I can come back in. They are also going to fix an issue with my QQ plates. I got QQ plates but they entered the code for a regular registration so I got over charged last Sept by $6.50 and set to a yearly renewal. It should have been a one time fee and renewal every 3 years. Now I just got to see when I can make it to Oakland MVC again.

I also finally managed to transfer ownership for my corvette into my name from my fathers. The title was filled out and signed with a date of sale of 6/22/2006. Luckily they didnt make me get a new title and then sign it over. I just had to pay their $25 penalty for being over 10 days from date of sale(yea, only 11 years....) lol.

Last edited by V; 07-12-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

They charging you for the vin correction?

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
V
Stalker

I don't know yet but i assume so. I must have written it wrong on the registration application since I copied it off the title. I have papers that were in the car from CT DMV dating back to 2003 that also show the mistake even back then. The car was totalled and rebuilt prior to that so I guess the mistake may have been made during the reinspection process. I found the error right when i got home from DMV when i was adding it to my insurance policy. Its been insured with the correct vin.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
V
Stalker

Managed to get to the DMV today. They close at 5:30 and I walked in around 5:15. I asked for the woman who had called me on Wednesday and she took care of it. The only issue she was still having was that my registration was still showing the expiration date of 9/17 instead of 9/19. After a phone call or two it should have been fixed but for some reason it wasn't updating in the system. Worst case scenario, I have to renew in Sept and then it'll be every 3 years after that. But at least now title has been corrected and correct VIN is on my registration card. Oh, and no charge for anything.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Old 07-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #8
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

:thumbsup:
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge