Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
87GTA

Another PONTIAC story!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090502/...s_falling_star

car's i own
1987 Trans Am GTA,5-speed-sold
1988 Firebird Formula-Sold
1999 Dodge Durango SLT-sold
1997 GMC 1500 Sierra 4X4-sold
2001 Dodge Durango R/T
87GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Camaro.Joe.LT1

The end: maybe not

Gm can always bring back the Pontiac brand sometime in the future when the economy is strong and there is a demand for modern muscle cars. It is very possible to see its return. I remember when I was in my 20's and thought how cool would it be to build a retro Mustang, Camaro, Trans am etc. I felt the car should look very close to the original. But the car should have all the modern upgrades suspension, engine, drive train, etc. so the car would have the retro looks but present technology. Back in that time people laughed and said that will never happen, car companies want to move forward with design not back. Well just look at the Mustang, Challenger, new Camaro. And if things went as planed Pontiac would have made a retro Trans am modeled after the 77 Bandit style but that didn't happen. Maybe someday. As for the camaro, GM could have done better with styling in my opinion. The Mustang, well ford got it right. The Challenger dodge pegged it, the only problem in my opinion is those huge 20 inch wheels. They just don't look right on that car; 17's would have been the way to go. Save those big 20's for the 300c cars.
Camaro.Joe.LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Some time in the near future GM isn't going to exist any more. Like so many great world brands of the past, most of the General will soon be lost. A few brands may live on as niche marques, but most will be gone.

GM is basically spinning it's wheels at this point and hoping for a miracle. The government is gonna end up owning a chunk of the company at some point which is in no way a good sign. These are the same people who failed to run a whore house for a profit, how can anyone think they can successfully intervene in the auto industry that they half put behind the 8ball in the first place.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
BigAls87Z28

Pontiac is not a Muscle car brand.
Pontaic's #1 customer is a woman.
Outside of the Firebird, GTO, and G8, there hasnt been a "muscle car" in Pontiacs line up since 74.
Pontiac is dead. It wont come back.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
r0nin89

I like how they knock the GTO. For the last time someone tell these clowns that insist that car failed that it was slated for a 3year run from the beginning and sold great.

The only thing I'm sad to see go is the g8 and the name.

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
and sold great.
I would like to see some sales numbers. I see leftover GTO's at almost every Pontiac dealer I pass and I know last year Greenbrook sold 3 or 4 of them way under sticker just to get rid of them.
I like the car so I am not knocking it but I dont think it sold all that well, and yeah I knew about its 3 year production run
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
cdacda13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I would like to see some sales numbers. I see leftover GTO's at almost every Pontiac dealer I pass and I know last year Greenbrook sold 3 or 4 of them way under sticker just to get rid of them.
I like the car so I am not knocking it but I dont think it sold all that well, and yeah I knew about its 3 year production run
Total production was 40,808.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
87GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
yeah they did sell pretty well! sold more then the camaro&Firebird in 2002!

car's i own
1987 Trans Am GTA,5-speed-sold
1988 Firebird Formula-Sold
1999 Dodge Durango SLT-sold
1997 GMC 1500 Sierra 4X4-sold
2001 Dodge Durango R/T
87GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
69BirdX
12 Second Club

most people call the Gto the start of the muscle era. sad to see a company that started alot go away
'04 Pontiac GTO....Sunday Funday Special

69BirdX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:19 AM   #10
LS1Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Pontiac is not a Muscle car brand.
Pontiac WAS a performance brand. It went from a lineup in the 60s with cars like the LeMans, GTO, Catalina 2+2, Firebird and Grand Prix - all performance vehicles relative to their time - to the Gsh*ts of today.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
BigAls87Z28

Well, its been 40 years and they havent made jack.
People get teary eyed about these classic muscle cars when most couldnt out-drag race a Solstice GXP or a Cobalt SS.
Its sad, but Pontiac stopped being relevant and now its just overlap.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
Frosty

Quote:
Its sad, but Pontiac stopped being relevant and now its just overlap.
...and there's no one to blame but GM...I mean the Sunfire? The Aztek? The G5? Please....if you want to learn how to run a brand into the ground look up GM/Pontiac.

How many rebadged pieces of crap do they need?
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
How many rebadged pieces of crap do they need?
And that is why they need less brands.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
And that is why they need less brands.
But they can still keep Pontiac for the G8, Solstice and maybe a high line SUV/minivan.

Pontiac dying is what it is....it's all business but the media and people are looking at Pontiac isn't fair...GM ****ed them, GM didn't give them any type of support aside from the GTO, G8 and Solstice...no wonder their sales sucked ass.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Old 05-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #15
BigAls87Z28

Ask the dealer network. In all reality it was just what everyone else was doing. Remember that pontiac is aor was a full line brand. So having compacts suvs and minivans is just like having station wagons etc. Making pontiac into a performance only brand doesn't mean v8 rwd muscle cars only. Now gm not making good cars for the last 20 years or so well that's gms problem.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #16
LS1Hawk

I agree. It seems GM just decided years ago that they wanted nothing to do with Pontiac anymore. When you think about it, it is amazing that the brand lasted this long. I really hope GM will do something to commemorate the end of Pontiac, like some special limited edition 2010 model: Firebird, GTO, something. I don't care at this point. Just let it go out on high note.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Frosty

I never said it should be a V8 RWD only...give them a turbo AWD car to compete with the ugly ass WRX's, ditch the cheesedick Cobalt and have Pontiac build a FWD car to compete with the Civic Si's and stuff.

People, to this day, still think "ewww" when they hear Pontiac....so even having a performance division probably won't overcome the stigma.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #18
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
People, to this day, still think "ewww" when they hear Pontiac....so even having a performance division probably won't overcome the stigma.
And the question is answered.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
BigAls87Z28

Pontiac is gms 2nd best selling car brand but have dropped off big time. They gave pontiac a lot. This is the best line pontiac has had in a long time. That could be said for all of gm. If nothing excites you now to buy from pontiac or gm now then you shouldn't be too sad.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #20
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
And the question is answered.
Pretty much....and that's GM's fault...that's what I'm mad about....I'm actually hoping the entire company crumbles....I actually hope The Messiah, ahem...excuse me, Obama says F YOU and pulls all funding and lets these idiots fend for themselves. The government is going to own a HUGE chunk of GM after all is said and done(even though he says he wants nothing to do with owning a car company). I'm sorry but I'm through with seeing my tax dollars support ******* companies and a corrupt and worthless union. You mark my words...if GM comes out of this OK and doesn't file any bankruptcy you WILL see the UAW gain strength in the long run.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #21
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
I never said it should be a V8 RWD only...give them a turbo AWD car to compete with the ugly ass WRX's, ditch the cheesedick Cobalt and have Pontiac build a FWD car to compete with the Civic Si's and stuff.

I thi k you are way wrong on that. First off you either want sales or you want performance. Cobalt out sells the impreza and I'd say that the ss out sells the WRX. Saturn has the astra a true worl cass compact ad no one bought it. Poor marketing or damaged brand?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #22
Frosty

Quote:
Pontiac is gms 2nd best selling car brand but have dropped off big time. They gave pontiac a lot. This is the best line pontiac has had in a long time. That could be said for all of gm. If nothing excites you now to buy from pontiac or gm now then you shouldn't be too sad.
Ok, NOW they have some decent cars(G8, Solstice, the G6 is decent) but a few years doesn't make up for decades of boring cars.

It's almost like GM has the attitude of "Ok, we're making good cars now after 20yrs of ****...we're good now...really".

Old 05-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #23
Frosty

Quote:
I thi k you are way wrong on that. First off you either want sales or you want performance. Cobalt out sells the impreza and I'd say that the ss out sells the WRX. Saturn has the astra a true worl cass compact ad no one bought it. Poor marketing or damaged brand?
...and overall sales doesn't mean much if you can barely muck a buck off of said product, no?

I'd like to see some sales numbers of SS's vs WRX. Now granted I can only go by what I see with my own eyes I'd say in this area WRX trumps the SS by over 2 to 1.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #24
LS1Hawk

IMO, the GTO could have saved Pontiac. But they were too quick to rush it to the market in 03 and didn't take the time to listen to buyers or sit down with focus groups to develop a car that people really wanted. It was a great car, but didn't have the impact it should have. Done right, the GTO would have been Pontiac's renaissance.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #25
Frosty

You think so? I don't know...one car that was slated for a 3yr run can't save a car company IMO.

I personally don't get all excited about the GTO, I think they're over-hyped but what did GM do so horribly wrong that went against what people wanted?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge