Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
BonzoHansen
Admin.

My $0.02 on the new Camaro

I saw one in person today, finally next to other cars - an SS with the bonus caliper vibration dampening system. Now that I have seen in in person next to another car I have a better point of reference. It's too big. Too wide. Too long. A car that big and still the back seats appear worthless - the driver was no taller than I and the seat was all the way back to the back seat. I don't think I could squeeze my kids (5&8) back there in a pinch. Now I know why the 20s & 21s don't look out of proportion like they do (IMO) on older cars. The car is bigger. Challenger bigger.

I like the car, but it's not what I'd call a Camaro. They should have called it Chevelle. I don't think I can buy one now. I may change my mind, but that is what I think right now. I hope they save the G8 as a Chevy or Buick.

I really wanted to love this car. I really wanted it to be a home run. I've been excited to see one in person in the real world, not all by itself with no cars around it. A bit of a let down.

I can't wait to part one out.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Have yet to see one around me, but have seen the challengers up close.

Sucks, I wanted it to be nice too, but seems like eh to me.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Well, this one was parked next to some impalas/caprices. It fit right in - that was the eye opener. Al will like that give his fondness for that police issue boat.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I saw one in person today, finally next to other cars - an SS with the bonus caliper vibration dampening system. Now that I have seen in in person next to another car I have a better point of reference. It's too big. Too wide. Too long. A car that big and still the back seats appear worthless - the driver was no taller than I and the seat was all the way back to the back seat. I don't think I could squeeze my kids (5&8) back there in a pinch. Now I know why the 20s & 21s don't look out of proportion like they do (IMO) on older cars. The car is bigger. Challenger bigger.

I like the car, but it's not what I'd call a Camaro. They should have called it Chevelle. I don't think I can buy one now. I may change my mind, but that is what I think right now. I hope they save the G8 as a Chevy or Buick.

I really wanted to love this car. I really wanted it to be a home run. I've been excited to see one in person in the real world, not all by itself with no cars around it. A bit of a let down.

I can't wait to part one out.
I hope they drop the Chevelle name on the G8 and keep selling it. I'm going to need a new ride in a few short years.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
69BirdX
12 Second Club

i like the g8 much better then the new camaro
'04 Pontiac GTO....Sunday Funday Special

69BirdX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
baddest434
8 Second Club

i mentioned in an older post that it was as almost big as the new challengers. i'm not sold on it yet but i have'nt seen one either.
baddest434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

there is one at a local chevy dealer by me. i want to go check it out. i was talking to a couple guys about it and they loved it. i don't think they are that big into cars but they were giving it good reviews.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
fire95bird

It didnt seem that big at the NYIAS, its lighter than the challenger but i havent seen a camaro out in the street yet
fire95bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
karr95

I saw a yellow one this past weekend at the Chevy Dealership in Point, it is a sweet looking car. On a side note I also saw a 2010 Mustang this weekend too, didn't realize they were coming out just yet either.

Is it true that the new Camaro doesn't come with a spare tire or jack? They just give you a can of goo?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
edpontiac91

Quote:
Originally Posted by karr95 View Post
I saw a yellow one this past weekend at the Chevy Dealership in Point, it is a sweet looking car. On a side note I also saw a 2010 Mustang this weekend too, didn't realize they were coming out just yet either.

Is it true that the new Camaro doesn't come with a spare tire or jack? They just give you a can of goo?
Yeah, and still charge you tax for a 5th tire when you buy the car. It's true that the rear seats are GREAT for holding a gallon of milk in place. About 93% of the people who will buy will never have a LIVING person in there. They should have made an option to have NO rear seat, let down the entrie rear panel and at least have a decent sized trunk. Less weight/no rear seats=go faster. Those hash marks on the rear quarters also do nothing for me, and those plastic engine dress covers may look fine, they trap a LOT of heat coming off the motor. My son's G8 GT is fast, very comfortable, handles and rides like nothing I have ever been in. Traction control is so awesome that you can punch it out of the gate and get about an inch of wheelspin, and that's coming from a RWD car.

1994 25th ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM GT -1
of ONLY 2,000 made/ Only 128 made with a HURST 6-Speed Manual and 91 with T-Tops and Compact Disc/ K & N Filtercharger/Magnaflow Performance Muffler/Air Foil- ORIGINAL MINT Arctic White Ultra Rare SURVIVOR. DAYTONA 500 PACE CAR Decal Kit!

SOLD: 1989 Turbo T/A in 1991 it ran 12:18@115 mph
edpontiac91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #11
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Seeing one in person at CNR made me like the car better in person, but I still can't believe how small the back seats are for a car that is so big. It's like the quarter/side panels are each 1.5 feet wide leaving a very small rear seating arrangement. I'm guessing that this is to meet some future side impact requirements, but if that's true, then the imports will have room for 1 seat in the rear! Looks is one thing, but I would like to know how the car rides and drives before making an overall decision on the car.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

The G8 as a Chevy is probably going to be a Lumina SS, because that's what it is called in the Middle East.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

"About 93% of the people who will buy will never have a LIVING person in there."

A car that big should have at least back seats as roomy as a 2 door civic. Throw the buyer some kind of bone buying a tank. The car is being marketed to more than 20-25 year olds. For me it woud be a secondary car so I need to be able to put at least one kid in the car once in the while. I don't think I could put a car seat in the car because his feet will be jammed up against the seat.

Send the G8 to Buick as regal, make the GXP a grand national!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

I like the new car, but I also have no concern about rear seats. The seats in the new car are very comfortable and the interior doesn't look like it should say mattel on it like so much more of the GM line up.
I like the exterior styling, I think it looks more low and mean than the original that they were trying to emulate. The 67 Camaro was a sporty and sharp looking car, the 2010 looks more like it's angry big brother.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
MonmouthCtyAntz

Saw them at the auto show in phili a few mths back and a yellow one on chevy lot in point. pleasant yesterday and Id buy one in heartbeat..might be a little big but its a sweet car.

AI HCR 241's , Lunati 223/236 .615/.626 114+2 , Full Exhaust , Ported Fast 92 , Ported LS2 TB , Veraram , 85mm MAF , Circle D 4000 , 3.42's , GTP 36# , CSP Dyno tune. More on the way
420 HP/367 TQ on a Unlocked Converter & still climbing.
MonmouthCtyAntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
String

Quote:
Originally Posted by karr95 View Post

Yea. Thats the one at DeFelice. My brother stopped to look at it. I believe its 27,000. V6 Auto.
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
thunder
12 Second Club

i sat in one at the NYIAS and played with the 6speed, i think its one of best trannys out there. really smooth short shift
Old 04-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #18
Camaro.Joe.LT1

I saw one drive by me on route 3 in clifton. A red 6 cylinder I'm guessing, it had Camaro on the side fender and nothing on the back from what I saw. I tried to take a cell phone pic but it ditched into traffic. Maybe it was a dealer promo since this was about about a month ago. My take on it, I'm not really impressed, too big, wheels to big and if they wanted to make it look like a 69 I think they failed. It just doesn't have the look. The Mustang and Challenger did capture the look and feel of the 70's muscle cars. Chevrolet could have done better. Maybe I'll grow to like it who knows, we'll see.
Camaro.Joe.LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #19
BigAls87Z28

I will say that I personally have sat in the back, and it has more room any any fbody I have ever sat in via rear.
I fit in my 87 in the rear till I was old enough to drive.
The only thing is head space, that there is little of. But unless your sons are heading into the NBA, then you should be good.

I had the totaly different experiance with the Camaro. In pictures, the car looks big. In person, its smaller then I pictured.
Its sedan-based platform can make the car seem big. It is tall, no doubt but I think thats a good thing compared to the low slung fall into third and fourth gens.
Its actual dimentions are rather are not that big. At 190 inches long, its nearly a foot shorter then the Challenger, but only 2 inches longer then Mustang.
Camaro's body work, its fenders, its lower door work, its overall large features give it a "big" look.
Its more then a foot shorter then a Caprice/Impala, I think you need to get your eyes checked.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #20
String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro.Joe.LT1 View Post
I saw one drive by me on route 3 in clifton. A red 6 cylinder I'm guessing, it had Camaro on the side fender and nothing on the back from what I saw. I tried to take a cell phone pic but it ditched into traffic. Maybe it was a dealer promo since this was about about a month ago. My take on it, I'm not really impressed, too big, wheels to big and if they wanted to make it look like a 69 I think they failed. It just doesn't have the look. The Mustang and Challenger did capture the look and feel of the 70's muscle cars. Chevrolet could have done better. Maybe I'll grow to like it who knows, we'll see.
I don't know about the Mustang. Maybe the Shelby and whatnot capture the look and all that but the GT looks like a box of garbage.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #21
String

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
I like the new car, but I also have no concern about rear seats. The seats in the new car are very comfortable and the interior doesn't look like it should say mattel on it like so much more of the GM line up.
I like the exterior styling, I think it looks more low and mean than the original that they were trying to emulate. The 67 Camaro was a sporty and sharp looking car, the 2010 looks more like it's angry big brother.
+1
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #22
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Al, just for you, I will re-examine the back seat room. But that guy had the seats all the way back and he was no taller than I am.

Here is is in front of a Caprice wagon.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #23
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
"About 93% of the people who will buy will never have a LIVING person in there."

A car that big should have at least back seats as roomy as a 2 door civic. Throw the buyer some kind of bone buying a tank. The car is being marketed to more than 20-25 year olds. For me it woud be a secondary car so I need to be able to put at least one kid in the car once in the while. I don't think I could put a car seat in the car because his feet will be jammed up against the seat.

Send the G8 to Buick as regal, make the GXP a grand national!

no no no

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #24
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Ok, a GSX

Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #25
NastyEllEssWon

merge the fwd impala and malibu into one package. keep malibu namesake. move impala namesake to the g8. only reason they call it the lumina ss in other parts of the world is because the lumina is a very recognizable namesake. over here its just known as a crap mid 90s rehash of everything else they put out. overseas the impala would just be known as a fwd sedan as they never got the original muscle impalas
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge