Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
baddest434
8 Second Club

hey bergen county people

question..i believe i read something in the newspaper about bergen county having a "blue law". i remember years ago when i lived in monmouth co. there was a "blue law" which meant that you could not buy clothing on sundays. so we had to travel to ocean county if we wanted to shop for clothes! is that the way it is in bergen county?
baddest434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

yeah most places are closed with the exception of grocery stores, convenience stores, gas stations, and restaurants. not sure of any others but malls and stuff are closed.
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
baddest434
8 Second Club

WOW NNJ FTL

i read that the governor wants to lift that ban to increase the states hunger for more revenue with the sales tax.

but he is running in to opposition because it "would put a strain on the local police and fire dept. and affect the suburban county's quality of life" you kiddin me?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Tis true. Sundays = go to wayne.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
mtg6486
12 Second Club

sunday is the only day there is no traffic in paramus and its great. every other day the highways are clogged so a 5min drive turns into 30 min sittin in traffic. Plus if you really need something that bad you can go over to willow brook or palasades mall which will probably take the same amount of time w/o traffic.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
V
Stalker

us bergen countiers like our quiet sundays, if you dont like it, then dont enjoy our peace and quiet and instead go fist pumping with snooki at the shore

btw, i grew up in bergen co and got used to sundays with everthing closed, its not that bad. And that was before palisades mall even

Last edited by V; 03-25-2010 at 05:34 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
baddest434
8 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
btw, i grew up in bergen co and got used to sundays with everthing closed, its not that bad.
with all the traffic up that way i'm sure you guys do enjoy your sundays!!!

my wife grew up in ocean grove and they had a law that you could not drive your vehicle in that town after 12 sat night until 12 sunday night. that was weird. i had to park in bradley beach and walk her home while we were dating.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
NastyEllEssWon

if they want to keep their blue laws thats fine, but the nj government should avg how much all other counties pull in from sunday tax revenue and hold bergen county responsible for those taxes as well. if you want to live in a rich county with these type of laws then pass the burden along to the property owners of bergen county.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
us bergen countiers like our quiet sundays, if you dont like it, then dont enjoy our peace and quiet and instead go fist pumping with snooki at the shore

btw, i grew up in bergen co and got used to sundays with everthing closed, its not that bad. And that was before palisades mall even
woah, lets keep the fist pumpage out of this!

LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
if they want to keep their blue laws thats fine, but the nj government should avg how much all other counties pull in from sunday tax revenue and hold bergen county responsible for those taxes as well. if you want to live in a rich county with these type of laws then pass the burden along to the property owners of bergen county.
That's all well and good, but they also cut a million dollars or so in state aid to the town of Paramus. So, how are they supposed to pay the extra PD and fire personnel that have to be on duty? Having the malls closed saves a ton of expense $$ on the town - that's the other reason why they want to keep them closed.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
maroman88
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post
That's all well and good, but they also cut a million dollars or so in state aid to the town of Paramus. So, how are they supposed to pay the extra PD and fire personnel that have to be on duty? Having the malls closed saves a ton of expense $$ on the town - that's the other reason why they want to keep them closed.
working paramus pd dispatch on sundays is awesome, its the only semi quiet day of the week, not dead, but quieter. and with wat steve sed about the money being cut... yea makes my job so much easier, they took our coffee away (sounds stupid but when your stuck at a desk overnight its more then nessesary!), wont hire anymore to replace people that have left (more OT for me, go figure lol) and most recently they turned off the lights in the police parking lot at night, however boro hall is alllllllll lit up and CLOSED at night!
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:44 AM   #12
NastyEllEssWon

cut down the number of paid firefighters on duty on sundays and enlist the help of vounteers like most other counties do. if bergen wants to keep their blue laws they should have no problem with upping property taxes and sales taxes within the county to keep em without affecting public service jobs.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #13
maroman88
12 Second Club

the only paid fire dept's in bergen county are hackensack, englewood, teaneck and ridgewood... the other 68 towns (including paramus!) are volunteer.... and its not like less things catch on fire on sundays...
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT

Last edited by maroman88; 03-26-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:02 AM   #14
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
the only paid fire dept's in bergen county are hackensack, englewood, teaneck and ridgewood... the other 68 towns (including paramus!) are volunteer.... and its not like less things catch on fire on sundays...

well if less things are open theres less chance of a fire occuring in those places. maybe they should cut your hours at dispatch if its that dead
Old 03-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
maroman88
12 Second Club

Quote:
well if less things are open theres less chance of a fire occuring in those places. maybe they should cut your hours at dispatch if its that dead
if less things are open, the fire will burn longer and grow larger before being detected... and we already have less people working on sundays for that reason
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
Old 03-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
V
Stalker

Quote:
if you want to live in a rich county with these type of laws then pass the burden along to the property owners of bergen county.

not all people choose to live in "rich" bergen county. I grew up there, not much i could have changed. And my parents bought the house there over 35 years ago, when there was a horse farm in our backyard basically. My house was built before the turn of the century. A lot of my parents frinds have lived in the area for 50+ years, wayyy before there was a noticeable separation beyond the fact it was close to NYC. Also, the property is maybe .5-.75 acre and property taxes are over $16k. Bergen co already has one of, if not the highest, average rate of property taxes.

Last edited by V; 03-26-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
baddest434
8 Second Club

whoa and i complain about paying 5 grand a year in property tax thats crazy!!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #18
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
cut down the number of paid firefighters on duty on sundays and enlist the help of vounteers like most other counties do. if bergen wants to keep their blue laws they should have no problem with upping property taxes and sales taxes within the county to keep em without affecting public service jobs.
FWIW fire companies are reporting that it is getting harder every year to attract & retain volunteers. You can't just go out and draft them.

I wish there were blue laws everywhere!

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddest434 View Post
whoa and i complain about paying 5 grand a year in property tax thats crazy!!
That's the bad thing about this area - we're already property-taxed to death, and since the governor has stripped millions of $$ in state aid to the schools, we'll be paying more property taxes to offset the cost.

FWIW, the taxes on my 3-bedroom/2-bathroom house on a 50x100 lot is nearly $8K/year. And I live in a "poor" town compared to Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
I wish there were blue laws everywhere!
I agree!!! The only time it sucks is when I have a house project to do on a Sunday - if they don't have what I need at Sears Hardware, I gotta drive to Hudson County.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...

Last edited by The Fixer; 03-26-2010 at 04:28 PM.
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #20
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post
The only time it sucks is when I have a house project to do on a Sunday - if they don't have what I need at Sears Hardware, I gotta drive to Hudson County.
I always go up to Lowes on 303 anyway, sunday or otherwise.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #21
Knipps

Mahwah FTMFW. That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #22
maroman88
12 Second Club

steve, palmer bros/ace hardware is open on kinderkmack in river edge on sunday mornings
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #23
baddest434
8 Second Club

are liqour stores open on sunday's?

when we had a blue law in monmouth co. you could only buy beer, no hard alcohol on sundays. so you had to make sure to go sat. night
Old 03-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #24
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Enough stuff is open on Sunday that it's easy to find anything you need, I don't even notice blue laws, the only pain about needing to buy something on Sunday is everyone closing earlier than the rest of the week

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddest434 View Post
are liqour stores open on sunday's?
They most definitely are

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.

Last edited by Savage_Messiah; 03-26-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #25
BigAls87Z28

I thought Blue Laws were applied to things like alcohol?
Monmouth County sure lost its blue laws.
Sundays usually have the shortest hours anyway. Most stores are closed by 5.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge