Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
redbanditZ28

NJ Inspection question

So it's inspection time for my Camaro again. Actually, it was supposed to be back in March and it didn't hit me until recently that I need to get it inspected since I don't regularly drive it. So here are my two questions:

1. Now that NJ inspection stations only check smog emissions, would I still have to worry about failing inspection due to the debatable loudness of my exhaust? My Camaro would pass inspection otherwise, but supposedly my exhaust was deemed as being bordering on the too loud side. I wasn't sure if that would matter now with the way inspection has changed back in August of last year. Do they still do any visual tests or do you guys see my SLP Loudmouth being a problem this time around?

2. Since my window sticker is now expired, I now have to worry about driving the car to and from the inspection station without getting pulled over. A friend mentioned ripping the sticker in half so it looks as if I already tried getting it inspected but failed. Would this work in case I got pulled over driving to the inspection station? Or if anyone else has any other ideas, I'd appreciate it. I simply forgot to get the car inspected as I don't drive it a whole lot except for summer time.

I appreciate any feedback.
redbanditZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Adam1978

i drove a car with a failed inspection for 2 years, and my one camaro had no sticker at all for 6 months, still doesnt but its parked now. i wouldnt worry about the sticker, but leave it on there. If you have no sticker at all they put you through full inspection/ if the sticker u have on there dates from before they started checking emissions only. although im not sure about the loudness.
Adam1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

If you're driving to the inspection station you should be ok. But driving around with an expired sticker is rolling the dice. I drove my 4Runner 1 day with the expired sticker and got pulled over. I had just bought it so I had the 14 day extension but the previous owner drove it for more than 6 months and never got pulled over and he had no cat on it. Don't mess with the sticker, it makes it look even more suspicious.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Looked it up for you.

Take this with you to the inspection station:

Note that it doesn't cover you regarding noise, but the guys at the station may let you go if you look like your ducks are in a row.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
TheV6Guy

Social Networks:

I drove around wit no inspection sticker in my avenger for about 4 months when I had it and had no problems. And I drove around in my firebird for a month with no problems also with no sticker. Basicly as long as your carful they won't do much.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
siguy

This is if you cant pass nj inspection .... (1 pay a shop off LOL) or do what i did below

what i used to do when i lived in nj (because my car would have never passed NJ inspection (big cam blower etc) was to scrap the sticker off completely and if i got stopped (which was once in 4 years) i would explain that they changed the windshield and was the sticker was unable to be saved).... nj is not like ny where they have cops just looking for inspection stickers ...

Last edited by siguy; 04-22-2011 at 01:57 PM.
siguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
BlackBADaSS02
13 Second Club

I drove around for a year without an inspection sticker. I wouldn't worry too much about just driving to the inspection station. I always scrape off the sticker before I go anyway, because they always do a crappy job getting the old one off.

2002 Camaro SS, Onyx Black, M6, Bolt Ons.
2008 Pontiac G8, White Hot, 3.6l
BlackBADaSS02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

There is no longer safety inspection, they can't do a thing about the exhaust loudness. If you have cats, you will be fine.

I wouldn't worry about the sticker. If you cut it in half and get pulled over, they will want to see the vehicle inspection report. I'm sure most cops would be cool if you said you are on your way to get inspected. If not, most prosecutors will drop the ticket if you show that you got the car inspected.

Did the battery die or was it ever disconnected while sitting? If so, you'll have to do some driving to reset the monitors, only thing I could see you failing for really.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Exhaust loudness doesn't come under emissions regs?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
If the car is OBD II all they do now is plug in the scan tool, make sure all the monitors are good, no SES light, and you get a sticker. I was in and out with my G35 in 5 minutes at the Paramus state inspection center. I really don't think they'll hassle him for loud exhaust - I even saw cars rolling out of the station with tinted front windows and a fresh sticker on the windshield.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
WiMiMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by siguy View Post
nj is not like ny where they have cops just looking for inspection stickers ...
i guess you havent gone through South Bound Brook

just go get it inspected, if you get pulled over on the way, tell them you're going to go get it inspected.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

bill, where were you last year with that letter, when manahawkin station was busting my stones abou the LM2

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
Stevoone

Took my car through in March. It's pretty loud so they looked unerneath a few times to make sure I had a cat installed. There must have been 3 or 4 people that checked under my car.

Went straight through with no problems. I was also 3 months overdue on inspection. I keep the car in the garage over the winter.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
greenformula92

i just went through with both or my beats

Ram is OBD 2 so that was a plug in and done....it was 5 minutes if that

the camaro got the sniff test, which was still about 8 minutes at most...they didn't look under it but it gets a idle sniff and a high idle sniff....high idle is in park and like 1500 RPM....passed with ease

if you have cats you should be fine

a guy a work with has a 90 s10 blazer and his air pump is missing and he passed the sniff test and the visual, so you can get away with a lot because most guys that work in the stations don't know what they are looking for

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk95formula View Post
a guy a work with has a 90 s10 blazer and his air pump is missing and he passed the sniff test and the visual, so you can get away with a lot because most guys that work in the stations don't know what they are looking for
air pump only works on cold start. And i didnt know trucks got air pumps

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #16
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Loudness, leaking, etc was always under safety. He good unless for some reason its commercially registered, they still get a safety test and are inspected every year.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge