Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
Oddball

Define "Numbers matching"

I hear the term "numbers" matching when talking about classic cars. Does this just mean my IROC has a 305 or is there an actual block casting that has to be there? What specific numbers are they looking at?

Daily Driver: 2011 Ford Expedition EL (4 very tall kids means suck it up for a while)
Crisis Car: 1986 Chevy Camaro IROC: 5.0L 4BBL Carb, 5-speed, T-tops, "Good afternoon officer how fast was I going" red.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

there's an actual casting on the block that matches with the VIN number of the car.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva
there's an actual casting on the block that matches with the VIN number of the car.
That's usually for the correct chalk-mark and date-codes on the firewall freaks though. IMO, if the car isn't a really low-production model car, modify the everluvin' crap out of it!

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
Oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS
That's usually for the correct chalk-mark and date-codes on the firewall freaks though. IMO, if the car isn't a really low-production model car, modify the everluvin' crap out of it!
Thanks -- I was just curious what it meant.

Daily Driver: 2011 Ford Expedition EL (4 very tall kids means suck it up for a while)
Crisis Car: 1986 Chevy Camaro IROC: 5.0L 4BBL Carb, 5-speed, T-tops, "Good afternoon officer how fast was I going" red.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

the production information will be able to match up the dates and correct part numbers of all of your major components to prove teh car is original.
with older cars there is a portion of the vin stamped onto the block and trans along with all the casting and date codes on the parts to prove it is original.
later cars like your IROC would only be able to prove through a correct vin, rpo sheet, and matching(tiem frame, not the exact same date) production dates on the major components.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
jims69camaro

Quote:
i agree. but save the original pieces. if the price of your car goes through the roof, you'll be glad you did.

my car is a perfect example. it's a prime candidate for an LS-X upgrade along with a 4l60e and 9 inch, plus all of the suspension upgrades. should i decide to modify it at all, the original pieces will be bagged and tagged for future reference. just because it's a coupe doesn't mean i should throw away the original motor.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:20 PM   #7
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Right. It is real easy for someone to tell someone else to 'modify it' when it isn't their potential resale value. Although you may never want to sell your car, life bekons and makes your plans change.

I'm no crazy restore guy with marks & etc., hell, I coudn't afford it. But I have no place telling them I think they are wrong. I think a lot of the cars I see that are modified are ****ed up, but I generally keep it to myself. Unless it is stupid safety related. Then I might chime in.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
jims69camaro

that's why they call them customs. one person's idea of customized is another person's idea of bastardized.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 02-18-2006, 06:24 AM   #9
Oddball

I don't plan on mucking with the drivetrain except for maybe an aluminum driveshaft and steel braded brake lines. My "mods" are mostly interior stuff.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #10
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

"Numbers matching" is really more important on the pre 1972 Chevrolet cars. Starting in 1972 the engine was coded into the VIN for Chevrolet cars. Prior to that the VIN only told you if it had a V8 originally or not. Some VIN's on Chevelle's are SS specific but not for Camaros. So for a 67-71 Camaro it's pretty important to have the original motor and transmission with the partial VIN stamped into it. It's not that big of a deal for the low performance motors like the 327 2 bbl and 307 motors. But for SS, Z28, COPO 427 cars it adds a lot of value. The 67's had some of the engine options coded into the firewall trim tag and some of the 69's also show the SS or Z28 option on the trim tag and some of the 70-74 show them as well. But there are a lot of fake, transferred and reproduction tags popping up so you can't trust the tag alone to prove a car is an SS or Z28. My 69 Z28 has the Protect-o-plate which is the warranty card plate showing the engine, trans, rear, radio, brake options. My motor and trans have the partial VIN stamped in them proving they are the originals and I also have the broadcast sheet that was glued on the gas tank showing most of the options.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
WayFast84

So I should save my intake, cam and exhuast manifolds? even though they are rusty as ****
WayFast84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #12
Squirrel
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFast84
So I should save my intake, cam and exhuast manifolds? even though they are rusty as ****
nope, you have a mass production third gen...throw away as you go
93 TA, Bone stock, 13.8 @ 100 "Beating ****** drivers in ****** LS1's"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/285090241699967/
R.I.P. Tia
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:50 PM   #13
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
Right. It is real easy for someone to tell someone else to 'modify it' when it isn't their potential resale value. Although you may never want to sell your car, life bekons and makes your plans change.
True enough, but that's why I also said leave it alone unless it was something mass-produced (and therefore not rare and going to have a rediculous resale value).

My arguement was really for the 3rd and 4th Gen F-cars, since that's what Oddball owns. If I had a rare option car, like a yellow '87 IROC, or an '02 Camaro SS, or a '93 Camaro Pace Car, I'd leave the car alone. Now, if it was a regular base-model coupe, or a Formula with a TBI motor, I'd throw caution to the wind and mod the hell out of it. The latter two examples will never be worth what the other rare models are, all conditions equal.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I hear you. I just hate when numbers guys get mad about a car being changed, or a regular joe complaing about the numbers crowd, or the pro-street crowd complaining about the pro-touring guys, or old timers fearing electric fans, or...you get the picture. It is a pet peeve of mine. People don't just shut their yaps enough.

Now, I hate phony RS/SS/Z28s

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #15
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
the pro-street crowd complaining about the pro-touring guys
I hear ya there! There's always a few old-timer guys at the Whiskey Cafe cruise night I go to, and they are either of the resto crowd or Pro-Street crowd. They really don't understand why I built my car to go quicker around a corner, and stop better than it ever would with useless OEM brakes, and converted it to fuel injection. Pro-street cars may take me off the line, but I'll blow past 'em at the first curve and have a big grin on my face while they're holding on for dear life.

Quote:
Now, I hate phony RS/SS/Z28s
Amen! Put the hideaway-headlights on a non-RS all you want, just don't put the damn badge on it if it wasn't a factory RS. See, we do think alike!

Old 02-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #16
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Amen! Put the hideaway-headlights on a non-RS all you want, just don't put the damn badge on it if it wasn't a factory RS. See, we do think alike!
Indeed. Funny, both my cars are verified via their cowl tag. But, the RS especially, is so 'me too' it angers me.

But my lights will 'hideaway'!

Old 02-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #17
JL8Jeff

Hmmm, I like the numbers matching when it will really affect the value but when you step back and really look at the vehicle you need to recognize if it will really have increased value or not. My 93 Indy Pace Car already had 28K miles on it when I got it so I knew it wouldn't be holding a lot of value compared to the cars with less than 50 miles. So I put as supercharger on it and drove it every day. That car was 1 of 645 made but really wasn't a high value car. My 91 454SS pickup already had a crate motor in it when I got it and it was 1 of 986 made but I knew it wouldn't be a high value vehicle either. So for number's matching to really matter a lot, the vehicle has to have some really good options, be a high performance version or limited production with demand. A 67 Camaro with a front bench seat is a limited production option, but nobody is gonna pay extra money for it.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #18
BonzoHansen
Admin.

But you could take the supercharger off and return it to oe state. # match <> low mileage.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #19
JL8Jeff

I removed the supercharger and sold it. Then I sold the car with 74K miles on it. But a lot of OE stuff was already removed and gone. It had no effect on the selling price either. The 93 Indy Pace Car was a dress up package, not a performance package. So the limited production doesn't help the value as much as something like a GNX or a TTA.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:49 AM   #20
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Something like that you probably would have held it for many more years to realize anything. It would have been worth more in 20 years then a regular Camaro. But probably not enough to warrant holding on to it.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:31 AM   #21
JL8Jeff

Yeah, that's the tough thing. How do you hold a car for 20+ years and not drive it or put any miles on it and hope it increases in value? I couldn't do that.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #22
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
How do you hold a car for 20+ years and not drive it or put any miles on it?
you restore it, silly.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 02-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #23
JL8Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims69camaro
you restore it, silly.
Oh yeah! I forgot all about that car. I don't know what I'll do if he finishes the restoration this year.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #24
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Ha!

Old 02-20-2006, 06:24 PM   #25
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Quote:
Now, if it was a regular base-model coupe, I'd throw caution to the wind and mod the hell out of it.

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge