Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
miketa95

paint problem

The township has been doing construction on my street for two weeks now, the road is completely dug up so my truck has been filthy. I just got it washed at a car was today, and the car was still dirty after, so i took it home and really gave it a good scrub down myself. when I was done, I realized the truck is completely covered from front to back in tiny black specs. I am assuming that it is probably tar. My paint feels like sandpaper and I can't seem to get it off. Also, my stainless steel exhaust tip has dirt baked onto it. I cannot get it off for the life of me. Does anyone have a solution?
miketa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
TAdan

Have you tried a clay bar?

Have you called the town/ dept that is responsible for the work? I have heard of instances where townships have reimbursed people for similar damage due to painting lines on the road, etc... It is probably worth a shot.

The 1982-1984 Firebird Zone:
www.early3rdgen.com/forums

Last edited by TAdan; 11-02-2009 at 12:43 PM.
TAdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
S.J.SLEEPER

yea, go to a body shop and get a estimate to have it removed/wetsanded out & cleaned. and take pictures of the work area that caused the damaged to your vehicle.
then go to the twp. and tell them about your problem, they will probably deny it at first but then you'll find out your not the first one to complain.

i had a lincoln lsc that i ran over a huge hole in the street w/ and it blew my airbags out (air ride in the lsc stock)

this hole was where the town was putting piping in or something and they failed to put cones , after a lil bit of a fight , they reimbursed me for the damages
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Rich189
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Do what the above suggest... take it to a body shop and get an estimate and stay on the town to try and get reimbursed.

If you want to try it yourself try a claybar on the paint and 000 steel wool followed by a metal polish on your exhaust tips.

If they claybar doesnt work it will either need buffed out or wet sanded. if the steel wool doesnt work the tips will need sanded and completely repolished.

*edit* shameless plug if its something you do not want to deal with yourself or the town pays you to have it done pm me before you over pay a body shop

2002 Trans am ws6.. black on black bolt ons with a JS built trans, 3200 stall,TTM's w/315's, full umi adj rear suspension, strano springs/sways, and koni 4/4's

2015 Forester XT touring... STI Sway bars

Last edited by Rich189; 11-03-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Rich189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
imjustinlampe

bug and tar remover.....its like goo gone..

give that a try first then start complaining
imjustinlampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Rich189
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustinlampe View Post
bug and tar remover.....its like goo gone..

give that a try first then start complaining
yep go ahead and rub the chunks into the paint.... not a good idea and thats why i didnt suggest it youll end up with swirls and rids all over. Will it remove the spots probably but then youll have a whole different problem. ( on the other hand for bugs and small specs of tar it is great) but the op said his paint feels like sand paper.

2002 Trans am ws6.. black on black bolt ons with a JS built trans, 3200 stall,TTM's w/315's, full umi adj rear suspension, strano springs/sways, and koni 4/4's

2015 Forester XT touring... STI Sway bars
Rich189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
HardcoreZ28

If it's not super gritty you can also try WD-40 but like Rich said be careful not to damage your actual paint.

I'll also shamelessly plug Rich's work for him. He's polished out the last couple cars I've painted in the shop and his work is top notch and very well priced.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
ta350

Wax degreaser from local auto store works best in my opinion

Current Vehicle
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 GSXR 750 Street Fighter Flat Black Red Rims
ta350 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance