Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
sicnessinfaith

94 Firebird won't start

My bird won't start, new batt tried jump starting to see if it had died out, didnt work, it's not turning over may think it's the starter but weird thing is the dash lights are not coming on, none of the gauges move when I turn the key, the radio doesn't turn on, power windows do not go down, but dome light, the reminder beeper works, and head lights work without dimming. If it was a starter problem would it cause the dash not to work? Any one have any ideas?
sicnessinfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
sicnessinfaith

V6 model

Oh forgot to mention, it's the V6 not the trans am
Old 04-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

do you have a voltmeter to verify the battery is at 12.5 volts? sounds like you might have burned up some fusible links or have some loose connections. double check that the battery terminals are tight along with the power and ground connections on the passenger side "strut tower."
Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
sicnessinfaith

Well it was broken down in front of an advance auto, i had them try jumping it and they tested the batt, the battery was good just wasnt cranking over. I checked all the fuses, I checked the cables connected to the battery they were on there, as well as the cables that are on the strut tower it's all connected. This is just puzzling to me, right now.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i think the fusible link burned up for the ignition switch. i may be jumping the gun though but look at the wires going to the distribution block and see if one looks burned up, melted, or just irregular in general.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
sicnessinfaith

Nothing looks burned up or melted, it's just puzzling me.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

then possibly its a bad ignition switch. does anything happen if you put it in accessory? for some reason, i feel like i'm overlooking something stupid.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
sicnessinfaith

When I go to turn it on, the chime beeps then when I turn the key all the way nothing happens, as I said before when I go to turn it nothing just happens, the radio doesn't turn on but there is power to it because when I remove the faceplate (after market obviously) the little red light on there flashes, but none of the indicator lights on the dashboard come on like they usually do when you flip the ignition switch. Power windows don't go up or down, power locks work, headlights work, dome lights work. It did have an alarm but the previous owner had it disconnected, I tried flipping the toggle switch to see if it was security but nothing. As I said it's puzzling me and it's probably something really obvious
Old 04-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

it really seems like it may be the electrical part of the ignition switch. lights work without the key on normally along with door locks. the radio would use a constant power and a switched 12v to turn it on. i feel its in the ignition switch.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech