Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Which puppy?
Pit Bull 2 10.53%
Golden Retriver 5 26.32%
Akita 7 36.84%
Black Lab 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2005, 06:18 PM   #1
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

Dog for christmas...

My parents just said they'll get my a puppy for Christmas. Which one should i get?
A Golden Retriver
B. Pit Bull
C. Akita
D. Lab
Firebird67dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
WayFast84

lab!
WayFast84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
badzracing

I'm partial to german sheppards, dobermans, and huskies. Of your list, I think the akita would be cool.
badzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
enRo
13 Second Club

Dobermans are the ****!
Old 12-18-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

i like little dogs cause they talk alot of **** and think they are big and tough
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
trashman01
15 Second Club

goldens. labs are way to energitic, and the akitas and pit bulls can be nasty dogs. i have owned 4 goldens(one time it was 3 at once) and out of those choices and working for a animal shelter, ur better off with a pure bread(non puppy mill) golden.

next up - 3" lift, Gutted cat/retune/muffler

Past Toys:
1983 Trans AM, 1988 Trans AM, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Off-Road, 1986 Camaro IROC, 1984 Chevy K10 lifted, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD
trashman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:00 PM   #7
Brando56894
15 Second Club

theyre all awesome dogs, depending on the size dog you want. black labs are really playful but they'll get huge when theyre full grown. my aunt has a black lab and hes like 3 or 4 and he weighs about 150lbs hes a huge ass dog! when he plays with you he doesnt realize how big he is and will damn near knock you over or when he throws a paw at you it'll damn near knock you out. i dont know anyone that has an akita or golden lab, but golden labs are soo cute when theyre puppies and are great dogs when theyre full grown. my dog is part golden lab along with like 20 other different things as for pit bulls they arent really mean unless you make them mean. my brother has a english pit bull (largets breed of pitbull) and american bulldog mix. hes soo cute but hes a little bastard! hes not mean hes just an evil lil ****, hes like a bad kid. when hes full of energy he'll play with you and bite the **** outta you, he's made me, my brother, my dad and my mom draw blood just while we're playing with him. he doesnt mean to its just he doesnt know how stong he is. theyre really hard headed too, with a usual do it takes maybe 1-2 weeks to get them paper trained, with a pitbull dont even bother, theyll just rip up the paper and piss on the rug while lookin at you. it took my brother about a month to get him trained to go to the door when he wants to go out. before that he would literally look at you, then take a piss on the carpet. another thing they dont respond at all to hitting, it doesnt phase them since theyre so beefy/hardheaded. we have a whiffle ball bat that we have to hit him with and it doesnt even phase him. my brother was outside one day playing with him and hank (the dog) would run at my brother, jump up and bite him. when hank would do this my brother would punch the dog and he'd fall to the ground, then do the same thing over again! i think my brother said they did this a total of 9 times and my brother was like "i cant do this anymore hank im gonna make you retarded or something!" pitbulls can be great dogs, that is if you have the patience for them...
- Pancake Bunny Club Member #3

OG!
Brando56894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #8
Frosty

Labs and retrievers are GREAT family/house dogs. I would highly recommend one.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:36 PM   #9
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

black lab. super happy and friendly, also extremely loyal

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #10
Brando56894
15 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER
black lab. super happy and friendly, also extremely loyal
very true, i think all labs are though.... but yea black labs are awesome dogs...

this is my brothers pitbull:

he looks really viscious doesnt he?

OG!

Last edited by Brando56894; 12-18-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:11 PM   #11
95formula
14 Second Club

Three words: Jack Russell Terrier
95formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:20 PM   #12
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

Akita's are AMAZING dogs, but you do have to put an effort into them, probably more so than the other breeds. You absolutely have to socialize them, let them meet all kinds of people when they are young so that they are able to adapt to different kinds of people. Another absolute MUST is obedience school. Not just training them at home, but actually look into a puppy school. They're extremely stubborn and strong willed, but absolutely wonderful when they are aware who's boss.

My akita isn't a dog, she's another child in the house. She's spoiled rotton and is gorgeous and she knows it. People that she doesn't know can come up to her and she will just go up to them and wiggle at them. She thinks its odd when people don't want to pet her. She's the most amazing dog ever, I know Tim's met her, a few other board members, and will probably vouch for that.

They are also incredible guard dogs and I only knwo from mine, but very easily house broken and well behaved. We got mine at 8 weeks old, brought her in the house and had her outside every half hr to hour during the day for the first few days, she got the hang of it, and NEVER pee'ed the house at all.

They are extremely dominant, and are better suited for 1 dog families. Mine doesn't like other dogs except her 'boyfriend' next door, who she's grown up with.

I guess it can be said for any breed, if you train them right, they can be any dog you want them to be. Holley has a lab disposition unless she's guarding something (my mom uses her to guard money at the track, she will take someones hand off if they go near it and aren't supposed to)

Get whatever dog you feel comfortable raising. If you can train it and treat it like a child, go for the Akita. If you honestly don't think you can afford the training, the food (lots of it), and vet bills, get a less needy dog.

Oh, another thing, Akita's are known to get hip displaysia (sp?). Buy from a breeder who will guarantee against it. there is a member on nastyz28.com who is an Akita breeder, his website is www.akita.com, it has TONS of information on it.

Good luck!

oh, and heres mine
Old 12-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #13
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by badzracing
I'm partial to german sheppards, dobermans, and huskies. Of your list, I think the akita would be cool.
I think all those suck. I alreadyt have a pit so idk if i want another one but if i can find on exactly like the one i have then yes.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:30 PM   #14
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando56894
very true, i think all labs are though.... but yea black labs are awesome dogs...

this is my brothers pitbull:

he looks really viscious doesnt he?

Yea. My pit looks like that but without the black. and all 4 paws are white. Sweetest dog ever. we got her when she was older tho. If u rasie ur hand to fast she falls to the floor n thinks ur gunna hit her.

Ive always wanted an akita. I dont want the all white one tho.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:58 PM   #15
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird67dude
Ive always wanted an akita. I dont want the all white one tho.
you're in luck then, cause the all white ones are SUPER rare. Most people dont realize she's an akita. I've only ever seen one other one, and never seen another in person.

EDIT:
based on your responses, I'm just curious as to how old you are? I wouldn't recommend an Akita to someone who could not afford their care (would your parents be paying for bills or would you? What happens when you move out of the house?) They are family dogs but will probably gravitate towards one person, regardless of who feeds it, walks it, trains it, etc. It's just a personal choice of the dog. My dog is 'dads dog.' She treats us all with the same love, but she respects him more, probably because he's much bigger than the women in the house, and can play the alpha male part. If you want a dog to be 'your' dog, I wouldn't recommend an Akita unless you're prepared for one. They get the nasty reputation from people who don't know how to 'work' them or work with them.

Last edited by 79CamaroDiva; 12-19-2005 at 12:04 AM.
79CamaroDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:35 AM   #16
Brando56894
15 Second Club

whats funny is hanks claws are different colors. one paw might be all white, then the other all black, then on the back two the two outside claws might be white and the two inside claws might be black, and vice versa on the other. it was pretty cool when i noticed that. pitbulls can be good guard dogs too....... with alot of training theyre one of the strongest dogs for their size, and theyre tough as hell too.

OG!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:57 AM   #17
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva
My akita isn't a dog, she's another child in the house. She's spoiled rotton and is gorgeous and she knows it. People that she doesn't know can come up to her and she will just go up to them and wiggle at them. She thinks its odd when people don't want to pet her. She's the most amazing dog ever, I know Tim's met her, a few other board members, and will probably vouch for that.
Holley is about as happy to receive attention as my dog (Rott/golden retreiver mix). She's really a cool dog

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:53 PM   #18
jims69camaro

i wouldn't trade my golden for anything. he is the coolest.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:09 PM   #19
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva
you're in luck then, cause the all white ones are SUPER rare. Most people dont realize she's an akita. I've only ever seen one other one, and never seen another in person.

EDIT:
based on your responses, I'm just curious as to how old you are? I wouldn't recommend an Akita to someone who could not afford their care (would your parents be paying for bills or would you? What happens when you move out of the house?) They are family dogs but will probably gravitate towards one person, regardless of who feeds it, walks it, trains it, etc. It's just a personal choice of the dog. My dog is 'dads dog.' She treats us all with the same love, but she respects him more, probably because he's much bigger than the women in the house, and can play the alpha male part. If you want a dog to be 'your' dog, I wouldn't recommend an Akita unless you're prepared for one. They get the nasty reputation from people who don't know how to 'work' them or work with them.
Yea. I'm 20 n i already pay for the Pit along wityh school and othe bills.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:32 PM   #20
turbo96z28

golden. my girl has 2 and they are the most entertaining dogs!

besides mine that is.......maybe go with a pure bred yellow lab. very loyal and really easy to train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ta5spd
BTW - Bottles are for babies, real men get blown. that is all
- R.I.P. Buddy List 1/21/06 - 5/3/06...we knew you well.
- Pancake Bunny Club Member #1
- F the Plane! - Member #3

I979CamaroDiva: im in my own little zoon
I979CamaroDiva: zone even
lostsoul1006: lmao
I979CamaroDiva: wtf is a zoon
turbo96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:17 PM   #21
BonzoHansen
Admin.

You can never go wrong with a retriever, especially for meeting ladies. They are almost always friendly and good dogs. I picked the lab (brown labs are nice too) b/c they have shorter hair. Shedding sucks.

IMO, stay away from the pitbull, unless you are driving a 'slade with dubs, or you (or your parents, since I guess you live with them) want to get sued when the dog bites the **** out of someone. And it will chase the ladies away.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:02 PM   #22
PBodyGT87
Hot Liz, Cold Beer

Akitas are great, I used to have a pure bred and then now have two mixes from her and a black lab (father dog). Our's was brown, white chests, dark snout, gorgeous dog. They shed a lot, but are very loyal and very protective of the family. They go emotionally distraught if separated from their master for long periods of time, and will howl mournfully until they return. If there master does not return, it is said that they will actually die of a broken heart. They must be cared for, but they give you all the protection in return, along with a very intelligently human-like care for their master. In japan, children were left alone with dogs while the parents were out, because the dog would protect them. If you want them to be friendly to strangers, they need a lot of training and social exposure as a puppy, but if you only want the loyalty to the family, that is easily achieved. we put Keo through obidience school though. She was more of guard dog, incredibly loyal to the family, but disliked most strangers she was not familiar with. Saved our house from being robbed a few times. EXTREMELY intelligent dog. They lean against you to show their respect, and they show their stomach to submit to you. Also part wolf in their ancestry. They have an instinct that cans sense if you are angry, happy or sad, and if you are hurt, they try to cuddle and nurture you. It's very weird but way cool. Awesome dogs.

Also: 1974 Honda CB550/four. Ah, the OPEN-open road.
99 Saturn SW1. Flaunting a fender "blemish" (large gaping hole) thanks to a hit a run. Never caught the guy. Permanent Driveway Status at Justin's.
PBodyGT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:16 PM   #23
Brando56894
15 Second Club

Quote:
IMO, stay away from the pitbull, unless you are driving a 'slade with dubs, or you want to get sued when the dog bites the **** out of someone. And it will chase the ladies away.
not necessarily, from what ive read so far akitas sound awesome

OG!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #24
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

WTF. Theres like 600 somewat ppl inn this club. This poll better get more activity or im gunna scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to decide but i cant.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #25
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
IMO, stay away from the pitbull, unless you are driving a 'slade with dubs, or you (or your parents, since I guess you live with them) want to get sued when the dog bites the **** out of someone. And it will chase the ladies away.
WOW. it ppl like u that give Pits bad names. Mine is so sweet n better than any other family dog. Sorry for a double post but i missed ur dumbness.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge