Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-11-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Tsar
MIR

Stupid Political Correctness

Quote:
Christmas trees removed at Sea-Tac

KOMO-TV STAFF

There will be no more Christmas trees at Sea-Tac Airport this season after the Port of Seattle received at least one complaint about them.

For more than 25 years, the airport has celebrated the holidays with Christmas trees over its entrances. But overnight, the Port of Seattle ordered all 15 trees removed.

"I think it's very unfortunate. Why lose the Christmas spirit? Christmas is for kids," said passenger Lisa Jones.

The Port allowed "holiday" decorations to remain but decided to take down all the Christmas trees after a Jewish religious leader complained they were offensive.

"It's a Christmas tree! It's not like they were displaying crucifixes or menorahs or anything religious, but Christmas trees that have been around here for years," said an airport employee who asked not to be identified.

The Port of Seattle said it had little choice. It said a Seattle rabbi with the Central Organization for Jewish Education hired an attorney and threatened to sue if the airport did not erect an eight-foot menorah to balance the message of the Christmas trees.

According to airport spokeswoman, the two sides could not reach an agreement before the lawsuit was to be filed, so the trees were removed instead.

Angry airport employees have started a campaign urging people to call the Port of Seattle to complain.

The Christmas trees are now in storage or hidden in unused areas of the airport where they won't be seen.

The airline companies that lease space in the airport are not being required to remove decorations from their check-in counters.

Rachel Garson with the Port of Seattle said the issue would be revisited after the holidays are over.

"Since this is the busiest time of year we decided to take the decorations down now and consider a new policy after the new year," Garson said.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/295372_xmas10.html

wtf?
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
enRo
13 Second Club

Its wrong that some idiot has to ruin it for everyone else.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I can see how they are upset about not being represented, but I can also see how the airport would end up getting caught up in having to hang decorations for several different religious holidays.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Untamed

Just string up some lights and some ribbons and call it a day. That's festive.
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
V
Stalker

i think making them remove the trees is just stupid.... IF they said, "oh we want our festive items to be displayed too" is fine, but to be offended... STFU seriously...
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
Tsar
MIR

my t itle was edited to be politically correct
Old 12-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
Knipps

to go to such lengths is clearly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

god damn jews

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:34 PM   #9
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

the thing i don't understand is that the whole issue came up because a rabbi asked if they would put up a Menorah. i don't think that is an outrageous request, jsut one, similar in size to the main tree in the airport and the local jewish league even offered to supply and help hang it properly.
so what's the big deal? why not just include the people making the request instead of excluding everyone?
maybe i jsut have too much common sense or don't care enough about one particular holiday over the other, but it would have made sense to me to jsut put the thing up.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
the thing i don't understand is that the whole issue came up because a rabbi asked if they would put up a Menorah. i don't think that is an outrageous request, jsut one, similar in size to the main tree in the airport and the local jewish league even offered to supply and help hang it properly.
so what's the big deal? why not just include the people making the request instead of excluding everyone?
maybe i jsut have too much common sense or don't care enough about one particular holiday over the other, but it would have made sense to me to jsut put the thing up.
and then people who celebrate kwanza would want their **** hung in there too, and then the chiese will want some fire works and some****... way too many people to please. Why does a majority care if what one idiot says? if it was my airport, id let him take me to court and see what he can do. or maybe just spread some jew jokes around
Old 12-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #11
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Clearly pathetic. Someone always has to complain about something. The airport chose to put up trees as decorations so how is that offensive? It is just as offensive to other people now that they were forced to be taken down. Let people celebrate their own holiday and stay out of it!
Old 12-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

tsar, the rabbi did take them to court, and that is why there is no christmas stuff in the airport anymore. it is also a government owned and operated facility, which measn by law they are not supposed to have any religiously affiliated references of any sort in the first place.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #13
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
tsar, the rabbi did take them to court, and that is why there is no christmas stuff in the airport anymore.
No - he just got a lawyer and threatened to go to court.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #14
baddest434
8 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP99GT View Post
god damn jews

x2
baddest434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #15
jola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post
Quote:
and then people who celebrate kwanza would want their **** hung in there too, and then the chiese will want some fire works and some****... way too many people to please. Why does a majority care if what one idiot says? if it was my airport, id let him take me to court and see what he can do. or maybe just spread some jew jokes around
Is Sea-Tac privately owned? Its public, is it not? If it was my airport, I would also put up whatever decorations I wanted.

Anyways, not a big deal, but this is just a small case of minority rights, which are generally a good thing to have. Tyranny of the majority is great when you are part of the majority, but rarely are you always part of the majority.

95 3.4L Firebird
jola is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge