Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 12-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
CamaroJoe1987

Water Pump Removal: Please Help!!!

I am taking a water pump out of my 1987 Camaro Z28, its the 305ci, 5.0L. carburetor. I've gotten mostly everything taken off of it, but I'm having trouble with one bolt. One of the power steering pumps brackets is blocking the socket from getting in there, and the belt from the power steering pump to the balancer is blocking it too. I tried loosening the p/s pump and shifting it out of the way, but it didn't budge, I tried spraying some penetrating oil on it to see if i could shift it over, but still nothing. I loosened 3 bolts that were holding it on the bracket, I need to know is if I missed a bolt somewhere. I really want to know if their is a way to take the water pump off without taking the p/s pump off. Any ideas would be very much appreciated guys. Thanks.
CamaroJoe1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Stevoone

There should be 3 bolts on the front of the P/S pump and 2 nuts on the back. You may also need to loosen the A/C compressor so you can get some slack in that belt too.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
CamaroJoe1987

it turns out i missed one of the nuts in the back of the p/s pump that was covered, i took it off and i got the water pump off, thanks for the tip
CamaroJoe1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning