Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
MaxTheKiing

Rattle-can paint job

Alright, i know i asked this a lot but this will be my last thread, i swear haha.

I asked before about maaco jobs, i decided to not do that. I want to do it myself.

Before i said i HAD no experience painting, but i actually got a job as a painter about 3 months ago and ive been using a sprayer to paint houses and decks. its very similar to spraying a car i would assume. Im really good with layering and i think with patience i can do this myself. I have access to a spray gun and compressor to do in a garage or in a drive way.

What are yall tips on doing this? Should i use the air gun and such? or should i just rattle-can it? How should i prep? primer? im not sure, thank you!
MaxTheKiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

experiment with scrap body panels and hope the neighbors don't mind the fumes. there is a thread on here about painting, check it out
Old 08-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
bubba428

I rattle canned my T/A and it came out decent. If you stay super smooth and don't let the can run out you can do a decent job
bubba428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
usp55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
experiment with scrap body panels and hope the neighbors don't mind the fumes. there is a thread on here about painting, check it out
the neighbors will mind - just got done spraying the underside of my firebird, and the fumes went atleast two houses in every direction, now its a big joke when I talk to my neightbors. they wernt happy but **** had to get done.

IMO do all the prep work yourself and take it to macco, they usually have a special coming up this time of year. Do the prep, tape it all off, let them lay the paint down.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
NjbadSS

do NOT try and rattle can it. It won't. Look good and in the end you will kick yourself. If you know someone with a detached garage that doesn't mind you using it, you can try it yourself with a gun. Take a look at the thread on here that is all about painting before. There are very helpful tips on there if you are not that experienced
Old 08-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
MaxTheKiing

I have access to a gun to spray it, i might do that
MaxTheKiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
B4C

Rustoleum and a roller........about just as good as a maaco job at a fraction of the cost......
Old 09-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
crazyl

Maaco is not bad at all! Like someone stated make sure you do all the prep work yourself. I had my car done 4 yrs ago and it still has a great finish. ( I got maaco since I was parking in a high school parking lot and was not risking a lot of $ just to get it ruined)

Last edited by crazyl; 09-25-2010 at 07:07 PM.
crazyl is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance