Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
JerzLT1

Opti problem continues

so as some of you know i blew my opti up at the track about a month ago. well hoping that the optical sensor didnt get damaged when the rotor exploded i put an MSD cap and rotor on and cranked it but it didnt start. so i pull it off and open the opti back up and notice that the rotor is rubbing on the top of the cap. the rotor screws were tight and everything so i know its not that. any suggestions? maybe the stock cap with the opti rotor? could i have an internal problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0068.jpg (103.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0069.jpg (93.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0070.jpg (95.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
JerzLT1

more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0071.jpg (90.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0072.jpg (92.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i have heard of this issue before on msd cap and rotors. i would search on tech, they might have some info on how to correct it.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
S.J.SLEEPER

misc. problems with opti/cap/rotor installs

1)msd kit comes with 2 orings.
You only use one of the orings. The round one is the old style and the square one is the new kind because people were having problems with the round staying in place. This would cause the rotor to rub on the cap. That being said, use the square one.

2)Installation notes:
Make SURE you install the Oring correctly, if you dont the rotor will rub on the optical disk cover and it will fail. MSD is now making a gasket as a replacement to the Oring, you can get one from them.

The Oring installs on the small machined lip on the middle of the aluminum flange, DO NOT mount it inbetween the plastic optical disk cover and the aluminum flange.
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
JerzLT1

you may have just saved me a huge head ache lol thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
JerzLT1

so i called MSD and they made a very good point. i tested the cap and rotor on the old opti. what probably happened was that either the rotor hitting one of the contacts made the bearings fail or the bearings failed and made the rotor hit the contact. i assembled it exactly the way i had it before with the new opti and spun it by hand with no contact issues. he did recommend that i use the square o-ring as it will provide a better seal
Old 11-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

oh it was contacting on the old opti but clears fine on the new one? thats a relief!

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning