Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 11-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
zraffz

Fuel smell???

ON the new 1994 Z28 I faintly had noticed fuel when I first test drove the car (it was low on fuel) but once I fueled it up it went away... I figured it was something to do with the gas cap not being on properly. Well today I kept getting random smells of fuel; mainly when the car would go WOT. As the fuel level got lower, the smell got stronger.

It's dark out but I quickly looked at the rail, injectors, and all fuel lines. I don't see any leaks. Anything else I should be looking at?

Oh and the gas cap doesn't release any pressure when I take it off.

on another note I hope the fuel economy gets a hair better. Went through 3/4 of a tank and drove 120 miles (being a bit on the abusive side) with 4.56's and 275/40/17's.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I wouldn't expect it to get much better if you are driving with a heavy foot and 4.56 gears.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Are you smelling the fuel under the hood or back near the tank? The EVAP system is really problematic on these cars and the hoses will dry out and crack and the charcoal cannister will get clogged up cause fuel vapors to escape. I would check the lines around the cannister in the rear of the car.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
Are you smelling the fuel under the hood or back near the tank? The EVAP system is really problematic on these cars and the hoses will dry out and crack and the charcoal cannister will get clogged up cause fuel vapors to escape. I would check the lines around the cannister in the rear of the car.
Alright thanks. I can't tell where the smell is actually coming from. I have a problem smelling things. I usually can't identify odors even, I can just smell them. Sounds a little strange I know but I've smashed my nose a few times and now I pay the consequences.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
zraffz

Another question... if their is any chance that is in fact the evap system, can I test it by putting on a vented gas cap (I assume it would do the same thing as the evap system anyway?).
Old 11-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
S.J.SLEEPER

check to see if previous owner made a "trap door" access for the fuel pump. This access will be under the carpet on the upper flat area when you open the rear hatch. It is very possible that it is not sealed and you are getting smells in car from exhaust, or broken/missing evap line on fuel pump housing.
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER View Post
check to see if previous owner made a "trap door" access for the fuel pump. This access will be under the carpet on the upper flat area when you open the rear hatch. It is very possible that it is not sealed and you are getting smells in car from exhaust, or broken/missing evap line on fuel pump housing.
Would make sense... local shop did the fuel pump a few months back. I'll have to look! Didn't think about it
Old 11-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

Check the gasket on the top of the gas tank there the fuel pump goes. Mine was bad and it leaked fuel and didnt hold pressure at the cap. Also smelt of gas in the car. They might have re-used the gasket because it can be tricky to find a new one. That was the problem I had...
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
zraffz

Figured it out. Evap is messed up. Vented gas cap got the smell to go away until I have time over the weekend to fix it properly.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech