Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
enRo
13 Second Club

Cool Repairing rust

I'd like to repair some rust holes in my 1990 F350 real soon. I've done sanding and priming many times before, as well as minor body work, but nothing like a 6" long rusthole between a passenger door and the roof I'd rather learn to do these types of things myself, as my truck is the perfect candidate for trial and error. What I'm looking for is some tips, pointers, products, walkthroughs, links, and some experience in doing these types of things. The 6" rusthole is the most major... and there is two or three minor dime-sized spots around the cab. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
HardcoreZ28

If it is more than just surface rust then you want to cut the section out with a cutoff wheel, make a new piece out of sheet metal...try to mold it to the same shape as your original. Tack it in with a MIG welder....then slowly weld it solid so you don't warp the hell out of it. Then grind your welds, skim with body filler, sand, prime, paint.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 View Post
If it is more than just surface rust then you want to cut the section out with a cutoff wheel, make a new piece out of sheet metal...try to mold it to the same shape as your original. Tack it in with a MIG welder....then slowly weld it solid so you don't warp the hell out of it. Then grind your welds, skim with body filler, sane, prime, paint.
Perfect, thanks bro! I knew cutting was involved, but really never understood the steps afterwards. Although, this big one may be a bit tricky because of where it's located, which is around the rain gutter thingee above the passenger door. I may have to save that one for very last
Old 05-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 View Post
If it is more than just surface rust then you want to cut the section out with a cutoff wheel, make a new piece out of sheet metal...try to mold it to the same shape as your original. Tack it in with a MIG welder....then slowly weld it solid so you don't warp the hell out of it. Then grind your welds, skim with body filler, sane, prime, paint.
Side note:

If you can get a section cut off of a donor truck that may work best for you.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
If you can get a section cut off of a donor truck that may work best for you.
After replying to Paul's post, I decided to go out and uncover what I was told was 6" of rust so I could take some pictures to post up... I should've expected worse, because right now, I'm not a very happy camper. If the truck itself didn't have so much sentimental value to it, to me or my family, I would throw on some white duct-tape and slap a For Sale sign on it. I mean, for a truck that's sat for 10 years, underneath is pretty damn solid, its just this area and a small spot or two next to the back window thats making me scratch my head. I recant my statement about fixing that area, I no longer want no part of that I just threw some fresh duct-tape on it to get me by.

So after searching Google, I see complete cab replacements are sorta out of the question because of conflicting VIN#'s, unless it can be done???.... so unless I could find a donor truck without the same problem, I guess I'm scewed, eh? Looks like I'll be joining some Ford Truck-nuthugging forums and asking alot of questions there

What's your expert advice guys? Getting rid of the truck is completely out of the question.

Last edited by enRo; 05-11-2010 at 03:56 PM.
enRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
FoodStampsz

7.3?
FoodStampsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
NastyEllEssWon

get yourself a clean parts truck and replace the whole cab?
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Mike
BadMod

i would start looking for cabs, the good thing is you have a TON of options, you can take something hit in the rear and the whole cab will be good, you can take something hit on the driver side, and cut and weld, or you can take something with a light front hit as long as its good from the fire wall back.

i will ask my dad tonight what they do at the shop about cab replacements and vin number legalities, they do a lot of fleet and truck repair, and i know they do a lot of cab swaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance