Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Oldskool153

interesting 4l60e question/prob

ok so I took the 94' Z out today and I noticed that my air wasnt blowing cold and it was starting to rain, so i went to my uncles to recharge the system, by now it was raining pretty hard and I had my hood open and the engine running for about 10-20 minutes during the rain, when i left his house my car would not shift from 1st to 2cd until about 30mph and it wuld slam in gear (no lights on the dash tho). I drove back to my house (about 2 miles away) and shut the car off, I went out 10 minutes later and it was perfectly fine, I drove it to the trans shop but they cant check it unless the problem is happening, after that I drove it the rest of the day with no problems at all..I know that trans is ecm controlled, could the ecm have gotten wet and messed with the shift sensor??? anyone had this occur??? Trans was rebuilt last summer and fluid is nice an pink, today is the only time it happend and only after it was parked in the rain with the hood up..
Oldskool153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

Thats weird. Honestly i could not imagine something like that happening. Maybe when i t was rebuilt some wire got cut or exposed and with direct contact with the rain it did it. I dunno.
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Camaro.Joe.LT1

It could have been that you had the car running for an extended period. The LT1 runs very hot, the fans kick on above 230 degrees maybe the solenoids in the trans got hot enough to malfunction. Or something else in the trans malfunctioned due to the heat, when they rebuilt the trans maybe they didn't replace the solenoids. So the heat and age of the parts may be a factor. I bought the Hypertech power programmer and changed my fan on temp. to on at 213 off at 205 that's with a 180 stat. The car runs a lot cooler now. Hypertech says the stock fan kick on temp is 240 on and off at 225, this is way high to begin with and should adjusted to a lower setting. Remember there are wires and electrical components that actually sit in the hot trans fluid I couldn't believe when I dropped the pan and saw those wires and connectors and other components sitting in that trans fluid. So old wiring old components that got hot just a guess but maybe that was the cause. By the way I just had my 4l60e rebuilt, runs like a gem now the pump spilt and the trans lost pressure so that burned the clutches due to excessive slippage. I was trying to drive it to the trans shop when it went all together I lost all gears and was lucky enough to roll into a parking lot. I then had to get flat bedded to the shop about 8 miles away.That was a hundred dollar bill for the tow. But it's all good now Good luck with LT1, They are known for being bear to work on, that #8 spark plug well enough said LOL....

Last edited by Camaro.Joe.LT1; 06-03-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Camaro.Joe.LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
badzracing

Sounds like the whole rain thing may be a coincidence and you have a solenoid sticking. Could truly be any number of things, though. If it doesn't happen again then forget about the whole episode. If it starts happening more frequently then it should set the check engine light and be fairly easy to diagnose from there. Good luck in any circumstance.
badzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
camaro2you

Your pressure solenoid is starting to go most likely it will set a pressure code soon.
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro.Joe.LT1 View Post
It could have been that you had the car running for an extended period. The LT1 runs very hot, the fans kick on above 230 degrees maybe the solenoids in the trans got hot enough to malfunction. Or something else in the trans malfunctioned due to the heat, when they rebuilt the trans maybe they didn't replace the solenoids. So the heat and age of the parts may be a factor. I bought the Hypertech power programmer and changed my fan on temp. to on at 213 off at 205 that's with a 180 stat. The car runs a lot cooler now. Hypertech says the stock fan kick on temp is 240 on and off at 225, this is way high to begin with and should adjusted to a lower setting. Remember there are wires and electrical components that actually sit in the hot trans fluid I couldn't believe when I dropped the pan and saw those wires and connectors and other components sitting in that trans fluid. So old wiring old components that got hot just a guess but maybe that was the cause. By the way I just had my 4l60e rebuilt, runs like a gem now the pump spilt and the trans lost pressure so that burned the clutches due to excessive slippage. I was trying to drive it to the trans shop when it went all together I lost all gears and was lucky enough to roll into a parking lot. I then had to get flat bedded to the shop about 8 miles away.That was a hundred dollar bill for the tow. But it's all good now Good luck with LT1, They are known for being bear to work on, that #8 spark plug well enough said LOL....
PCM commands low fan speed at 226*F and high speed at 235*F stock.

the reverse cooling and federal requirement to meet emissions standards is why the lt1 runs hotter than most.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
ZCarr

I have a 1994Z 4L60E for sale if you are interested.
ZCarr is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline