Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

Pay close attention when dealing with insurance companies... kinda long

Long story short: Allstate tried to screw me, but I r too smart for them.

Backstory:
Back in March, my HHR was hit in the passenger quarter by a race car (a 2nd gen camaro of all things) who's throttle stuck in reverse at Island right behind the concession stand. The guy came in and asked whos car it was, information was exchanged, police report was written, and the guy said that he had actually just put collectors insurance on it less than a month ago, and he would get me that information when he got home.. Meanwhile, I got his insurance information from his tow vehicle, just so I had SOMETHING.. Since he was nice enough to come and get me, I figure the guys really gonna make good on this, especially since its a track operators car...

Months go by, I call him a few times, no answer.. no response. Finally I decide to file the claim with my insurance company, Allstate. I get told to get an estimate from a shop of my choice, fax the estimate and police report over, and they would call me. They do, I give them all the info I know of, and tell them that I want this to go under uninsured motorists, NOT my collision, and I get told that it would take some time to prove it was in fact a UM (uninsured motorist) claim. I said thats fine, I've waited this long, just don't want to pay the deductible. She says there's still a deductible on UM, I ask how much, she says $100 for UM or $350 collision. I told her $100 is a whole lot easier to pay than $350.

Last week I get a call from the adjuster, basically knocking the estimate down almost $1000, and telling me that he found a "recycled" quarter for $500. total cost of the estimate was $2576.97, from $3300ish originally quoted, but my body shop accepted and I would get a check in the mail.

I get the check yesterday in the amount of $2226.97.. wait a minute! this looks as though they took my collision deductible out... so back on the phone I go, and the lady I've been dealing with says that they were unable to prove that it was a UM incident, and I say well have you tried contacting the guy? She said yes and there has been no response, we have not been able to find any previous insurnace information for the vehicle, and in order for it to be a UM claim the previous insurance must have lapsed and they can't prove that. I said the vehicle was a race car, it happened on private property, not on a street. She tried telling me that race cars still have to be registered and insured in NJ and I had to explain to her that no, in fact, they don't..

So anyhow, she tried explaining to me that they were "in the process" of getting the information to prove that it was a UM claim, so in the mean time they took my collision deductible out so that I could get it fixed. I said ok, what's going to happen if I bring this check to the body shop? Someone is going to say that by using this check, I agree to its terms, correct? She says well, yes.. so I say but I don't agree to the terms.. This is an uninsured motorist claim and I don't want it reflected on my collision policy. She says well it will take a while to get the information, I said I've waited 4 months already, I can wait longer. So in that case, I have to send the check back.. big surprise.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Frosty

Yeah, you're doing the right thing by sending the check back...the second you sign that check you're done.

...don't be surprised if that LKQ 1/4 is gone by then too(which is a good thing), most shops HATE trimming used 1/4 panels(it's a real pain in the ass).
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

thats ****ing bull ****
Old 07-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Gotta love it when you dump tons of money into insurance, and the one time you need them to do something, they try to screw you out of every dime...

Asshats.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

GL, sounds like you're on the right track though
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
SteveR
I <3 sheep

Tricky situation, but sending the check back as a good idea. Did you send it certified to make sure they got it so they cant claim it got lost in the mail and they'll have to wait X amount of time etc.?

What about the guy that hit you? Where is he in all this? Does there have to be a police report for an uninsured motorist insurance claim in NJ? The dude that hit you should pay to get the car fixed. Your insurance premium is going to go up no matter what happens if they're involved.
'78 Big Wheel- 2FWFP
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
SteveR
I <3 sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
Gotta love it when you dump tons of money into insurance, and the one time you need them to do something, they try to screw you out of every dime...

Asshats.
My fried had a recording studio in his house and one insurance policy to cover the studio and one for the house. His house burned down one night and when he called the insurance company that night, they dropped him on the spot and told him good luck. Luckily he had the money to rent another house and hire a lawyer to sue them. It's like after Katrina, even the people that had flood insurance were dropped. Insurance companies are as crooked as they come.
'78 Big Wheel- 2FWFP
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Tricky situation, but sending the check back as a good idea. Did you send it certified to make sure they got it so they cant claim it got lost in the mail and they'll have to wait X amount of time etc.?

What about the guy that hit you? Where is he in all this? Does there have to be a police report for an uninsured motorist insurance claim in NJ? The dude that hit you should pay to get the car fixed. Your insurance premium is going to go up no matter what happens if they're involved.
He lives in GA, was military and came up for the weekend or whatever and i dont remember if he brought or borrowed the car.. I haven't been able to reach him, insurance hasn't been able to reach him. But like I said the police report has all his info on it, and I gave them his cell phone number, which is legit because he's on the recording and states his name..

Last edited by 79CamaroDiva; 07-17-2010 at 09:57 AM.
79CamaroDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Knipps

Just get paul to find the guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Nitr0racing21

I am in the same situation with alstate had a 9800$ estimate to fix my car and they wrote a check for 3700$. So I am going through my insurance. screw jersey drivers 95% of them cant drive

RIP WS6 Formula November 2
Gues that LQ4 was to much torque for me
Nitr0racing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
79CamaroDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitr0racing21 View Post
screw jersey drivers 95% of them cant drive
i'm not quite sure of the relevance of this since I was the jersey driver and wasn't even in the car.. but i hope you get everything situated with your car

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge