Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
12secondv6
Token v6 Guy

Anyone have a hot tub/ jacuzzi?

I know nothing about them and have always wanted one..... and now I think I have a need as my neck/ back is demanding it.

So..... if you have one.....

What model/ size?
What do you like/ dislike about it?
How is the maintenance/ upkeep?
What did it cost?

Any other good info?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Knipps

are you asking about the indoor/outdoor ones or the bathtub replacements? I have the bathtub version and it's awesome. No maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I've had a couple over the years. Both have been 4-5 person models, don't remember brand names. I love 'em - I get some lower back pain, and a 10-15 minute dip in the hot tub before going to bed at night really helped me relax and helped me shed some of that pain. I miss not having one now.

Maintenance is relatively easy on them - keep the chemical balance right, and change the water every few months (ideally 3-5 times per year, depending on how much you use it).

Price for a new one ranges greatly depending on size and quality. From my experience, you often get what you pay for with these. Cheaper models typically have far less insulation, and the heater has to run more, which in turn jacks up your electric bill. You can look into used ones and save quite a bit, just look them over well before you buy.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
12secondv6
Token v6 Guy

Good info

Doh, I mean outdoor ones
Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Green_Phoenix_LT1

My in laws own 1. Not sure of the make/model, its 10x10, seats six, 82 jets, I love the thing and use it just about every day. It is there second, they got it for free from craigslist. Had a leaky pipe but the previous owners just bought a new one instead of repairing it lol. They got lucky.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
baddest434
8 Second Club

crap!!! i got rid of one about 6 months ago. 3 people wanted it but no one came to get it by the time i wanted it out so i cut it up with a sawzall and threw it in the dumpster at work. the thing worked to.

on a side note trying to keep it @ 102% in the freezing cold of winter is very expensive. especially if no one uses it!! i ended up winterizing it in december then filling it up again in the spring.
baddest434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
SteveR
I <3 sheep

I don't have one now, but I will in 30 years.

Can someone please tell me how to get back to 2040?

ba dum chhhhh
'78 Big Wheel- 2FWFP
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
I don't have one now, but I will in 30 years.

Can someone please tell me how to get back to 2040?

ba dum chhhhh
Beat me to it
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
69BirdX
12 Second Club

you can get some great deals on craigslist. my boss got a 4 person one for 100 bucks. the thing is really nice but he did complain about the electric bill going up
'04 Pontiac GTO....Sunday Funday Special

69BirdX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

!electricity

Old 08-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
!electricity

Poland FTW
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

I have one as well.

What I would suggest you do it look at what you want in the seating, number of jets and controls. Also you want to listen to how loud the motor are! You don't want to have to scream over the noise!

Mine has 6 seats and a what I'll call a lounge chair type position. I have 3 deep chairs ( up to your neck, 1 about 8" higher, and one that is waste deep. I would perfer all deep seats, that's what everyone seems to fight over.I personally don't like the lounge chair, you tend to float off of it so you have to hold yourself on it, so not real relaxing to me?

The one deep seat ( know as "DAD"S SEAT" - and I don't share) has about 20 jets that cycle. That thing is awesome! Other seats have less jets that are a constant flow that don't cycle.

Look at the number of motors or controls so you can adjust your pressure at individual seats as oppose to having to adjust all because it can be too much or not enough for others.

I have two motors and this air injector thing. The air thing makes lots of bubbles, but is real noisey! I rarely use it, the kids like it!

Chemicals are just like a pool. you use test strips to adjust the PH, softness, anti foaming chems etc There are 4-5 chems in total and a $100 supply last about 3-4 months. And you change the water 2-3 times a years and once it's up and runnig you take it to the local spa store for testing.

Mine has 2 settings, a thermostat to hold temp, it runs for maybe 10 minutes when t needs to heat the water, and a timer for daily cleaning. During the cleaning cycle the spa runs for 3 hours ( I set mine at 2am to 5am. ). Over all cost for electric is about $1 a day year round ( mine is pretty well sprayed solid with insolation, most newer ones are.

During the summer I drop the temp to about 80, during the winter in the high 90s. I like to stay in it for long times so I don't turn the temp way up as some do, it makes me feel like I'm being cooked!

Just be aware that shopping for these things is like buying a car, there are allot of models and then options and bells~n~Whistles that can drive up the prices: Spring loaded cover lifts, LED lighting, built in speakers, sound systems, water falls etc.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 08-05-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
misterjuice

Why do i envision you slipping on the water or in the tub...and injuring yourself??? better line the surrounding area with pillows or foam peanuts.

2008 G8 GT Ignition Orange - New Era OTR intake, PM-FL Axle Back, SuperChips Cortex Tune
misterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge