Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-22-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
HardcoreZ28

F#@k You AFR!!!

Well I finally got the brand new engine installed in my IROC about 3-4 weeks ago and it has been running like dogmeat since day one. I originally thought it was a tuning issue and spent hours with someone going through it and we couldn't find anything to make it run better. We came to the conclusion that there must have been something mechanically wrong.

After pulling all 8 plugs I found the #1 cylinder wasn't firing because the plug was doused in gas. I literally went through the entire ignition system replacing parts and it didn't help. I also thought I had a leaky injector so I swapped the #1 and #3 injector which was a 6 hour job with the Super Ram but my problem remained on cylinder #1.

Well finally after putting a compression gauge on #1 and #3 cylinders I found a 40 psi difference between the two. I pulled the valve cover and low and behold the #1 exhaust stud rocker was broken in half and the rocker was laying in the head. Not only was that one shot but the pushrod from the intake valve on that cylinder is bent so bad I can't pull it out through the top of the head. Also I can see some of the head casting cracking off on the bottom where the bent pushrod may have hit it. The intake lifter may be busted apart too which would mean pieces floating around the engine possibly.

I also have a strong feeling the rings on that cylinder may be no good and who knows if the cam lobes may have been wiped out at well.

AFR has a reputation for using cheap import studs on their expensive cylinder heads and I will be dealing with them tomorrow as soon as they open. Needless to say I am beyond furious.

The car definitely won't be back on the road before the nats nor will I be seeing any driving in it this season probably. So AFR.....F#@k You!

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Rich189
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

damn sorry bout the car bro.... your more then welcome to ride up to nats with me if you want to meet up somewhere

2002 Trans am ws6.. black on black bolt ons with a JS built trans, 3200 stall,TTM's w/315's, full umi adj rear suspension, strano springs/sways, and koni 4/4's

2015 Forester XT touring... STI Sway bars
Rich189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
HardcoreZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich189 View Post
damn sorry bout the car bro.... your more then welcome to ride up to nats with me if you want to meet up somewhere
Thanks for the offer bro. I probably won't be at the Nats now. I was gonna be coming home early from upstate NY to go but now I'm gonna stay the whole weekend most likely.

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 07-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

That sucks. And it's not just AFR, alot of the head companies use cheap components on their assembled heads. Kinda silly really, you market a top of the line head, then fill it with junk, ship it and know the type of operating environment its going to be used in?? Makes no sense at all.

Good Luck dealing with AFR.....Take lots of pics and let them see the carnage.

The lesson (which sucks to learn this way) is buy the heads bare and put the good stuff in them yourself, its certainly no guarantee, but at least you have done all you can.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 View Post
Well I finally got the brand new engine installed in my IROC about 3-4 weeks ago and it has been running like dogmeat since day one. I originally thought it was a tuning issue and spent hours with someone going through it and we couldn't find anything to make it run better. We came to the conclusion that there must have been something mechanically wrong.

After pulling all 8 plugs I found the #1 cylinder wasn't firing because the plug was doused in gas. I literally went through the entire ignition system replacing parts and it didn't help. I also thought I had a leaky injector so I swapped the #1 and #3 injector which was a 6 hour job with the Super Ram but my problem remained on cylinder #1.

Well finally after putting a compression gauge on #1 and #3 cylinders I found a 40 psi difference between the two. I pulled the valve cover and low and behold the #1 exhaust stud rocker was broken in half and the rocker was laying in the head. Not only was that one shot but the pushrod from the intake valve on that cylinder is bent so bad I can't pull it out through the top of the head. Also I can see some of the head casting cracking off on the bottom where the bent pushrod may have hit it. The intake lifter may be busted apart too which would mean pieces floating around the engine possibly.

I also have a strong feeling the rings on that cylinder may be no good and who knows if the cam lobes may have been wiped out at well.

AFR has a reputation for using cheap import studs on their expensive cylinder heads and I will be dealing with them tomorrow as soon as they open. Needless to say I am beyond furious.

The car definitely won't be back on the road before the nats nor will I be seeing any driving in it this season probably. So AFR.....F#@k You!

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
bubba428

YEA F you in the sphincter with a rusty rail-road spike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bubba428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
Fast92RS
Power Member

Damn sorry to here that paul. I hope I dont have any problems with my AFR heads when i fire up my motor.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #7
WayFast84

damn dude that blows sorry to here about it, If you need any help when putting the car back together I can hand you tools, and fetch items..
WayFast84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
HardcoreZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast92RS View Post
Damn sorry to here that paul. I hope I dont have any problems with my AFR heads when i fire up my motor.
I would highly suggest spending $20 and a few hours to upgrade your rocker studs.

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 07-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
WayFast84

whats wrong with the studs? just cheap? pressed in? Both?
WayFast84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
HardcoreZ28

Screw in's but cheap offshore junk. Can't believe they don't use ARP stuff in their heads

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 07-23-2007, 05:14 AM   #11
Fast92RS
Power Member

I will make sure I order them ASAP then. I will get a set of ARP studs.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
That sucks. And it's not just AFR, alot of the head companies use cheap components on their assembled heads. Kinda silly really, you market a top of the line head, then fill it with junk, ship it and know the type of operating environment its going to be used in?? Makes no sense at all.

Good Luck dealing with AFR.....Take lots of pics and let them see the carnage.

The lesson (which sucks to learn this way) is buy the heads bare and put the good stuff in them yourself, its certainly no guarantee, but at least you have done all you can.

Chris

that is not true as well -- the assembled heads are the best of the picks -- we have found the bare head combos are seconds , seats just not right - flatness incorrect or even angles on gasket areas incorrect --- it s$cks i know we do it all the time -- it is what is being sold by all and not going to get better any time soon - we buy assembled heads just for the good cores sell the junk on e bay and replace with top of the line stuff, studs, valves, springs retainers keys - all of it -- its more money but its what it takes to get the good stuff today -- jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #13
camaroracer1992
10 Second Club

thats why i only use ARP fasteners on my motor, never had a fastener failure. I had a reall bad experience with world produts heads.... never will buy another world product in my life again. i have brodix heads now and i love them!
camaroracer1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #14
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post

that is not true as well -- the assembled heads are the best of the picks -- we have found the bare head combos are seconds , seats just not right - flatness incorrect or even angles on gasket areas incorrect --- it s$cks i know we do it all the time -- it is what is being sold by all and not going to get better any time soon - we buy assembled heads just for the good cores sell the junk on e bay and replace with top of the line stuff, studs, valves, springs retainers keys - all of it -- its more money but its what it takes to get the good stuff today -- jz
this is excellent info. so you are saying buy assembled heads, disassemble and reassemble with the good stuff?

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:27 AM   #15
HardcoreZ28

Well after speaking with a customer service rep at AFR yesterday they do apparently use ARP studs now but they aren't labeled as such. They had me send some pictures over and it sounds like they may be helpful. I'll keep you guys updated.

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 07-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #16
Fast92RS
Power Member

What AFR heads did you buy? I just bought mine about a month ago I got the 195cc street eliminators
Old 07-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #17
HardcoreZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast92RS View Post
What AFR heads did you buy? I just bought mine about a month ago I got the 195cc street eliminators
Same ones as you

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 07-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #18
camaroracer1992
10 Second Club

so whats the turn around time on those things, etc?
camaroracer1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #19
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post

That's interesting........and good info too.

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge