Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-30-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
Predator86

Ok now what EXACTLY is improper passing?

Ok im sure this is a dumb thread but i just have to know.

A good friend of mine was driving her wrangler last night on 28 and she texted me and told me this story.

Aparently she was at a light next to a cop...the light turns and theyre driving side by side, they cop goes a lil bit slower and she does the speed limit. Now the cop switches lanes to get behine her and pulls her over and givers a warning for improper passing and one for the crack in the windsheild.

Now i dunno if she butchered the story when she told me or not....i mean i love her to death but sometimes shes a little....ehh.

So what defines improper passing exactly?

8/26/07 Just reached 160K and running great!
1/15/09 Just reached 180K and still running great!

Last edited by Predator86; 08-30-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Predator86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
TAdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator86 View Post
Ok im sure this is a dumb thread but i just have to know.

A good friend of mine was driving her wrangler last night on 28 and she texted me and told me this story.

Aparently she was at a light next to a cop...the light turns and theyre driving side by side, they cop goes a lil bit slower and she does the speed limit. Now the cop switches lanes to get behine her and pulls her over and givers a warning for improper passing and one for the crack in the windsheild.

Now i dunno if she butchered the story when she told me or not....i mean i love her to death but sometimes shes a little....ehh.

If she was in the right lane and passed him...than thats improper passing. Your supposed to pass on the left.

Sounds like the cop just needed a reason to stop her for the windshield.

The 1982-1984 Firebird Zone:
www.early3rdgen.com/forums
TAdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Passing on the right, on the shoulder, something like that. On a 4 lane road you are only supposed to pass in the left lane.

You can also get a ticket for "cruising" in the left lane- if you are not using it to pass.

"Drive right, pass left."
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Predator86

wow i had no idea thank u guys

so im not aloud to go past someone who is in the left lane...i thought if u would get in there lane infornt of them that that would be a problem but i didnt know youl get popped b simply edging further in a seperate lane

Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Actually the cop was at fault for being in the left lane in the first place, keep right, pass left. Also if two people are stopped at a traffice light and one accelerates more than the other does not constitute passing. He was just trying to give he a hard time, probably had some bad doughnuts that night....
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
On a 4 lane road you are only supposed to pass in the right lane.
Right??

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
maroman88
12 Second Club

we'd have to see pics of said girl in the wrangler, maybe shes hot and the cop wanted a reason to say hi??!@
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
ShitOnWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
we'd have to see pics of said girl in the wrangler, maybe shes hot and the cop wanted a reason to say hi??!@
That was my thought. It doesn't sound like she got in the right lane to intentionally pass (if what she told you was complete truth). Either the cop wanted to say hi or wanted to make sure she wasn't drunk.
ShitOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Right??
Thanks. Fixed. I gotta be losing my ******* mind. Lately I've been doing that a lot.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

Quote:
Right??
well...if youre on the parkway, yes, because guaranteed theres someone from PA in the left lane going 60

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
79T/A

Quote:
Sounds like the cop just needed a reason to stop her for the windshield.
No. The windshield alone is enough probable cause for the stop. Don't know all the circumstances, but if he (Or she) wanted the windshield violation, they could've gotten it without the passing.

Quote:
Actually the cop was at fault for being in the left lane in the first place, keep right, pass left. Also if two people are stopped at a traffice light and one accelerates more than the other does not constitute passing. He was just trying to give he a hard time, probably had some bad doughnuts that night....
Nice try. I like the idea behind that one. But no again. Police officers are trained to travel the path of least resistance. In other words, if stopped in traffic, and an emergency occurs requiring the officer to respond, the officer needs to be in a position to easily drive around traffic to get to their destination (With lights and sirens of course). Imagine that a baby stops breathing and the cop is stuck in the right lane behind a transit bus and next to a tractor trailer.

The bad doughnuts are a possibility, though.
79T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
maroman88
12 Second Club

there is a possiblity she improperly passed someone before she saw the cop, the cop would have seen it and she probably never thought twice
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79T/A View Post
Nice try. I like the idea behind that one. But no again. Police officers are trained to travel the path of least resistance. In other words, if stopped in traffic, and an emergency occurs requiring the officer to respond, the officer needs to be in a position to easily drive around traffic to get to their destination (With lights and sirens of course). Imagine that a baby stops breathing and the cop is stuck in the right lane behind a transit bus and next to a tractor trailer.

The bad doughnuts are a possibility, though.
I cant argue with that necessarily, just because the Police do it doesnt mean they are allowed to do it. They are not legally allowed to speed unless in an emergency but they do it anyway. I have heard quite a few times where an officer has gotten a speeding ticket while on patrol from a statie. Serves them right! Did Corzine ever get ticketed for lack of seatbelt?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #14
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I cant argue with that necessarily, just because the Police do it doesnt mean they are allowed to do it. They are not legally allowed to speed unless in an emergency but they do it anyway. I have heard quite a few times where an officer has gotten a speeding ticket while on patrol from a statie. Serves them right! Did Corzine ever get ticketed for lack of seatbelt?
One of my coworkers got T-boned by an officer in Flemington. He put his lights on so he wouldn't have to wait at a light and tried to blow on through. Didn't make it, and my coworker and her fiance were pretty beat up from the hit.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #15
Knipps

if i was bored enough i'd search through the legal mumbo jumbo like i did for the front plate... maybe later

Quote:
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:24 AM   #16
Predator86

Quote:
lol thats what i said...i actually have a pic with her on top of the wrangler but i dont think she would appreciate me putting up here...but ya shes pretty cute so who knows

Quote:
there is a possiblity she improperly passed someone before she saw the cop, the cop would have seen it and she probably never thought twice
i'll ask her today

Old 08-31-2007, 10:06 AM   #17
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator86 View Post
N.J.S. 39:4-85. Passing to left when overtaking; passing when in lines; signalling to pass; passing upon right

The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass at a safe distance to the left thereof and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. If vehicles on the roadway are moving in two or more substantially continuous lines, the provisions of this paragraph and section 39:4-87 of this Title shall not be considered as prohibiting the vehicles in one line overtaking and passing the vehicles in another line either upon the right or left, nor shall those provisions be construed to prohibit drivers overtaking and passing upon the right another vehicle which is making or about to make a left turn.

The driver of an overtaking motor vehicle not within a business or residence district shall give audible warning with his horn or other warning device before passing or attempting to pass a vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right as provided in this section only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

point reductions:

One year with no violations or suspensions; -3; Year begins on date of violation or most recent restoration
Defensive Driving Program; -2; May be used to subtract points once every five years
Driver Improvement Program; -3; May be used to subtract points once every two years
Probationary Driver Program; -3

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:26 AM   #18
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims69camaro View Post
The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass at a safe distance to the left thereof and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. If vehicles on the roadway are moving in two or more substantially continuous lines, the provisions of this paragraph and section 39:4-87 of this Title shall not be considered as prohibiting the vehicles in one line overtaking and passing the vehicles in another line either upon the right or left, nor shall those provisions be construed to prohibit drivers overtaking and passing upon the right another vehicle which is making or about to make a left turn.
Why can't they write this stuff in english? My take is this mainly applies to vehicles on a 2 lane road, one each direction, but not on the highway if the traffic to the righ is moving faster than the traffic to the left? Anyone else agree with that? Or am I completely off base here?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:55 PM   #19
Predator86

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Why can't they write this stuff in english? My take is this mainly applies to vehicles on a 2 lane road, one each direction, but not on the highway if the traffic to the righ is moving faster than the traffic to the left? Anyone else agree with that? Or am I completely off base here?
its the same theory as doing your taxes....the more confusing it is,the more likely you are to screw up and the more of your money goes to them

Old 09-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #20
Predator86

UPDATE

I just talked to her today...and she said that the cop was at the light first before she got there

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge