Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
Noodles

ddr3 capable SLI ready Nvidia motherboard with 2 gigs of DDR3
Vista home for dx10 capabilities
Intel Core QUAD q6700 2.66ghz Processor
the kicker= Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra with 768mb of built in DDR3
700w power supply
soundcard tba (maybe soundblaster audigy.. not sure)
7200 rpm small amt of space though HD
52x dvd drive

And on the reserves list ... Call of Duty 4, Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis, and I already bought Medal of Honor Airborne in anticipation- since no dx10 games are out til Nov~

DX10 ftmfw

oi prolly forgot to list something

and im custom building it for cost effectiveness and betterness
Old 09-06-2007, 02:40 AM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Get a WD Raptor drive to install the OS and games on.....much faster. Use the other slow 7200 rpm drive(s) for storage.

- Justin

Old 09-06-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
Noodles

^ yes, a very good tip. Unfortunately, i literally met my budget ON THE DOT.. with all this.. so if i add another harddrive. BAM, there goes performance parts.. it wont be a problem in the future to add another 120 gigger, and put everything on that, other then the OS.

but def a good suggest.

plus with ddr3 on top of quad core.. i should be fine for a LONG time
Old 09-06-2007, 06:07 AM   #4
Frosty

Great hardware.

I hate Vista more than I hate Hon-duhs...
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)

Last edited by Frosty; 09-06-2007 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
JW

Lightscribe! I just have fun burning images to the disc.

JW
Old 09-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

That isnt the greastest computer. Thats hardly even something to talk about. If you were going to build the *greatest* computer you could have gone up to about 8 gig of RAM, at least a 3 gig Quad core, water cooled, multiple WD Raptor hard drives in a RAID 0 or bought some flash memory to install the OS on. The video card isnt bad, and Audigy isnt really available, if it is you should get the X-fi series

Last edited by PolarBear; 09-06-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
shane27

awesome specs, i wanted to go DDR3 but its too expensive right now
i actually just parted out my computer and im in the midst of building one

my specs:
AMD Athlon x64 5600+ socket AM2
2GB patriot extreme DDR2 800Mhz
Gigabyte AG-M61P-S3 mobo
Xclio 500W powersupply
Lian Li PC-7B plus II case
Acer 22'' widescreen moniter

Auzentech Xplosion 7.1 soundcard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829156001&Tpk=AuzenTech%2b XPlosion%2b7.1
(which i suggest for you noodles)

and some Klpitch 2.1 speakers
i already have my 160GBHD and DVD-Rom, and my Nvidia8600GTS so i will be set.

CANT WAIT FOR CRYSIS

oh and i will be running XP and Vista. Vista for games, XP for everything else

Previous Cars: 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (5spd), 1992 Mustang GT(auto), 1995 Hyundai accent(5spd)
Current Car: 2000 Honda Accord EX (5spd)

Last edited by shane27; 09-06-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
GrandmasterCow
12 Second Club

not bad setups at all
my current setup:
AMD Athlon x64 FX-62 Windsor processor
ECS KA3MVP motherboard
4GB KINGSTON DDR2 memory
2 x pci-e HIS Radeon x800 w/ICE-q Turbo (Might sell one of'em) (overclock'd)
2 x Raptor 500GB SATA2 drives
i forget the specs but a LiteOn DVDRW combo drive w/lightscribe
Sunbeamtech Silent Whisper cooler
2 x 20" Widescreen Samsung LCD's (I use this setup for video editing & monitor my datacenter; plus some gaming comes into play too )
and a gigabit network
1999 Trans Am WS6
2000 Trans Am WS6
Old 09-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Noodles

scooter really just came across as a jerk.
Quote:
"""The video card isnt bad, and Audigy isnt really available, if it is you should get the X-fi series"""
Its the best video card out... :/ (its not a matter of aopinion, radeon has yet to build something that contends, and its nvidia's best)

Quote:
"""at least a 3 gig Quad core"""
but quad core doesn't go up to 3 gigs yet... :/.. the only better processor is the "extreme" version of mine whihc is still 2.66

and water cooling doesnt make a computer faster? just more reliable...

I'll be looking into that x-fi though. my buddy recommended me something, when i hear what that something is (or remember) i'll post it see what you guys think

I see your both running AMD ..My past 2 pcs were AMD, its just that i researched with the multiple core technology, intel is blowing amd away NOW. not then.

and holy **** at two 500gb raptors... my current pc has 80 gig int 80 gig ext.. and i still have about 30 gigs left.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
Noodles

Quote:
oh and i will be running XP and Vista. Vista for games, XP for everything else
lol, cool idea

and i also have a 2.1 setup..some cheaper grade Altec Lansings

Last edited by Noodles; 09-06-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #11
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
but quad core doesn't go up to 3 gigs yet... :/.. the only better processor is the "extreme" version of mine whihc is still 2.66

and water cooling doesnt make a computer faster? just more reliable...
Really, Intel doesnt make a quad core 3 gig?
http://www.intel.com/products/proces...ifications.htm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115026

Last edited by PolarBear; 09-06-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I thought water cooling allowed for increased overclocking - and isn't that desirable for a gaming box? Just asking to be informed.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 09-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
PolarBear

All that processing power and you guys only have a 2.1 speaker setup...... its like putting a supercharger on a big block and a 1 inch exhaust system on it.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #14
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I thought water cooling allowed for increased overclocking - and isn't that desirable for a gaming box? Just asking to be informed.
Traditional heat sinks can only do so much, usually the stocker isnt that good and if you over clock you usually have to buy an aftermarket one. Liquid cooled can usually keep the heat down in an overclock setup, thats what most of the hardcore games do
Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
shane27

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
All that processing power and you guys only have a 2.1 speaker setup...... its like putting a supercharger on a big block and a 1 inch exhaust system on it.
i barely notice my 5.1 speakers on games

Previous Cars: 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (5spd), 1992 Mustang GT(auto), 1995 Hyundai accent(5spd)
Current Car: 2000 Honda Accord EX (5spd)
Old 09-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
ryanfx
King of Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
^ yes, a very good tip. Unfortunately, i literally met my budget ON THE DOT.. with all this.. so if i add another harddrive. BAM, there goes performance parts.. it wont be a problem in the future to add another 120 gigger, and put everything on that, other then the OS.

but def a good suggest.

plus with ddr3 on top of quad core.. i should be fine for a LONG time
not allowing yourself a 10K HD is just plain stupid. A computer is just like a car. If you have some radical camshaft and heads with stock manifolds and stock exhaust your not going to come close to the full potential of what you could have achieved. A lot of that money you invested into your video card and everything else is now rendered somewhat useless.

Last edited by ryanfx; 09-06-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #17
jims69camaro

Quote:
Liquid cooled can usually keep the heat down in an overclock setup, thats what most of the hardcore games do
i'm finding this to be true as i research for my next PC. i have a list of stuff that i considered to be "state of the art" on a budget, but the more i look into it, the more overclocking makes sense. the manufacturers sometimes use a 3GHz processor, but underclock it to a 2.3GHz in order to fulfill a certain price point. in the end, you have a 3.0GHz chip, so you might as well run it as one.

the other thing i found out is that processors throttle up and down depending on the demands of the system, so most of the time you will be running at 1.5-1.8GHz until the process you are running demands more from the system... then it ramps up to the max clock speed and can run hot as a result. also, if you overclock, you are doubling your chance of running hot. liquid cooling is still a relatively new technology, but certainly something to consider.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 09-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #18
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Plus doesn’t water cooling allow you to run a larger, quieter fan? And then you don’t have to listen to the box run while you watch TV or game. Mine is water cooled and it is just about silent. And it is an older, run of the mill media center type machine.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 09-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #19
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Plus doesn’t water cooling allow you to run a larger, quieter fan? And then you don’t have to listen to the box run while you watch TV or game. Mine is water cooled and it is just about silent. And it is an older, run of the mill media center type machine.
With some water cooled setups you can get away with no fan for the processor or cooling assembly. Then you are really left with the power suply fan. I dont want to/cant do water in my setup so I have 7 fans in my rig, including the CPU and PS fan so my system is a little loud

Last edited by PolarBear; 09-06-2007 at 03:23 PM. Reason: emo
Old 09-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #20
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
With some water cooled setups you can get away with no fan for the processor or cooling assembly. Then you are really left with the power suply fan. I dont want to/cant do water in my setup so I have 7 fans in my rig, including the CPU and PS fan so my system is a little loud
A little? Damn thing probably sounds like a jet taxiing on the runway.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #21
enRo
13 Second Club

Until Im 100% positive in a game I will want to play that needs DX10, then im sticking with XP. Vista has so many problems.

I find that the 8800 is just too much... price is steep, its too big in size, and to top it off, its a hog... I hope you plan on getting a full tower case a.k.a. mini-fridge if u plan on cramming that in there . U shouldve waited a cpl more months until the G92 comes out (they still arent sure of a name, its gonna be 8950 or 9800, but they are calling it a G92, do a google search for it)... specs are insane. My 7950GT is good enough until I plan on going Vista since its not DX10 compatable. But to each their own. Everyone has their opinions on what they think is great/bad... for example... I once had a 3.0Ghz single core Intel not even a month until it became a keychain ornament cuz it overheated to the point of inoperability. AMD, not one complaint.

But, Im curious as to how much youve spent on that computer so far.

My Rig Specs:
XClio A+case (looks like its about to suck my cat in, Vitals will vouche )
AMD Athalon FX-62 Dual Core OC'ed at just under 3.1GHz
^^^with a Zantec 9700 HSF
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
BFG 7950GT 512MB
4GB Corsair PC6400 Mem.
Apevia 680w PSU
Soundblaster 7.1 X-FI Sound Card
500+ GB HD space
(2) Lite-On DVD Burner + Reader w/lightscribe
22" Samsung Widescreen SyncMaster 226BW
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard

Price wasnt so great for my rig, but I got tons of savings and rebates which is why I went the expensive route. But I built Vitals a computer, I think it was a cpl pennies over $600, and it can run a game like BF2 on high graphics with no issues.

Erick, have u experienced heating issues with that chip? Stock, my chip used to run at temps that can I can cook an egg on Ran at around 60*C, but I got enough cooling to drop it down to the mid 30's under load, and now that its overclocked, its at about mid 40's under load.

And scooter... the 3.0g Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core runs anywhere from $1100-$1500 ... i can give you 65 billion other things to spend $1500 on... i would never spend that much on an Intel even if I won the mega millions lottery.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #22
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane View Post
And scooter... the 3.0g Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core runs anywhere from $1100-$1500 ... i can give you 65 billion other things to spend $1500 on... i would never spend that much on an Intel even if I won the mega millions lottery.
He said best computer ever.... and no one has mentioned anything about RAM except myself.....
Old 09-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #23
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Traditional heat sinks can only do so much, usually the stocker isnt that good and if you over clock you usually have to buy an aftermarket one. Liquid cooled can usually keep the heat down in an overclock setup, thats what most of the hardcore games do
Id rather NOT run a liquid cooling system over my expensive computer parts thank you very much. I got enough air cooling in my case to drop my AMD FX-62 a whopping 30*C... and it only cost me around $30... and thats saying ALOT since its one of the hardest chips to bring down in temperature, compared to a liquid cooling system that runs anywhere from $200-$400.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #24
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
He said best computer ever.... and no one has mentioned anything about RAM except myself.....
But we are thinking logically... the biggest geek ever who wants bragging rights because of his processer would spend that kind of money on just a chip.. A "hardcore" gamer would buy a 3.0Ghz quad-core. A "smart" gamer, would buy a X2 4600+ and overclock the **** out of it, spending hundreds less. Logically, Noodles has a decent setup going there, but he can get just as good results with an OC'ed E6600 and spend hundreds less.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #25
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane View Post
Id rather NOT run a liquid cooling system over my expensive computer parts thank you very much. I got enough air cooling in my case to drop my AMD FX-62 a whopping 30*C... and it only cost me around $30... and thats saying ALOT since its one of the hardest chips to bring down in temperature, compared to a liquid cooling system that runs anywhere from $200-$400.
I fully understand the reason you do NOT want to run WATER (or other conductive liquid) but there is a non conductive fluid you can buy. Expensive? no one said anything about prices . Personally I wouldnt spend too much on a computer again. I get great gaming time out of my Xbox 360 and you cant TOUCH the price with any computer. More and more PC games are also coming out cross platform so there is less need to assemble/buy a computer for gaming. Plus the industry moves so quickly that you can spend $5,000 to $10,000 in a heartbeat then in a few months you have a very expensive paperweight.

I fully agree with the statement that AMD is the hardest processor to keep cool. Technique, knowledge and components can make a system run better. Most people do not want to bother doing things right so they go liquid cooled. And the stock processors usually are not able to keep up if you overclock, there is a limit to what they can do
Again he is hardly coming up with the greatest computer...ever
Closed Thread

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge