Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
MonmouthCtyAntz

PA Guys need some insight..PA vs. NJ

Well while my girls still in school weve decided to stay in an apt. until she finishes. Current lease is almost up and were thinking about making the jump to PA (close to Jersey though).Now ive lived in jersey my whole life except for military time and frankly im sick of it (actually was years ago, but now I can do something about it). I work at Mcguire AFB and from the looks of it renting is alot cheaper there and I can still have a fairly decent commute to work. So can someone give me some reasons why PA's better? Emmsions, Car insur., things to do,etc.etc., whatever comes to mind. Thx

AI HCR 241's , Lunati 223/236 .615/.626 114+2 , Full Exhaust , Ported Fast 92 , Ported LS2 TB , Veraram , 85mm MAF , Circle D 4000 , 3.42's , GTP 36# , CSP Dyno tune. More on the way
420 HP/367 TQ on a Unlocked Converter & still climbing.
MonmouthCtyAntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Depending where you live no emission inspection? I only have a safety inspection and a visual for the emissions
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

No front plate....

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
MonmouthCtyAntz

Im liking what im hearing so far

AI HCR 241's , Lunati 223/236 .615/.626 114+2 , Full Exhaust , Ported Fast 92 , Ported LS2 TB , Veraram , 85mm MAF , Circle D 4000 , 3.42's , GTP 36# , CSP Dyno tune. More on the way
Old 10-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
No front plate....

- Justin
Yeah I should have mentioned that, probably the largest perk. Hopefully NJ will have that gone soon... Then I can "move back"
Old 10-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
ryanfx
King of Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
No front plate....

- Justin
is it sad that's reason enough for me to move?
ryanfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

its also legal to tint your front windows.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
MonmouthCtyAntz

Tint and the no front plate are definately perks

Old 10-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
its also legal to tint your front windows.
No it's not. It's just the law is worded very oddly so it's easy to get out of a ticket.

As far as the no emissions testing...that's only true FAR from Philly and those areas are dwindling.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
No it's not. It's just the law is worded very oddly so it's easy to get out of a ticket.

As far as the no emissions testing...that's only true FAR from Philly and those areas are dwindling.
Yes you can tint your front windows, as per the PA inspection code. I have read and re-read it. You have to be under a specific tint percentage, anything over that you need a note from a doctor stating you have sensitive eyes or an eye disorder that requires you to have tint on your windows.

It has nothing to do with Philly for the emission inspections, you would be surprised how poor PA is as far as these things are concerned. A lot of municipalities can not afford Radar and still use timing lights for speed traps. These areas are not far from Philly. I dont think the inspections will change all that quickly, there are areas I think would be emmision scrutinized but are not.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #11
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfx View Post
is it sad that's reason enough for me to move?
if i could make it make sense, i'd be outta here in half a heartbeat.

since you'll be renting, it really won't matter to you, but the tax base is lower the further from center city philly you are. it helps (at least to me) that there are a lot fewer "overdeveloped" areas in PA. the area is so much nicer with a few trees around.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L

Last edited by jims69camaro; 10-09-2007 at 05:41 PM.
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
MonmouthCtyAntz

Yea i need a change, any nicer areas right over the bridges from jersey?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #13
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Yes you can tint your front windows, as per the PA inspection code. I have read and re-read it. You have to be under a specific tint percentage, anything over that you need a note from a doctor stating you have sensitive eyes or an eye disorder that requires you to have tint on your windows.

It has nothing to do with Philly for the emission inspections, you would be surprised how poor PA is as far as these things are concerned. A lot of municipalities can not afford Radar and still use timing lights for speed traps. These areas are not far from Philly. I dont think the inspections will change all that quickly, there are areas I think would be emmision scrutinized but are not.
Like I said about the tint law, it's oddly worded and easy to get out of. All of Philadelphia and surrounding counties require emissions testing. That's not to say it's enforced or not. I just didn't want the original poster thinking he can move around here and be emissions exempt.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #14
PolarBear

Glazing material which is intentionally made so that only a portion of a single sheet has a luminous transmittance of not less than 70 percent shall be marked at the edge of the sheet to show the limits of the area that may be used at levels requisite for driving visibility. The marks A S1 or A S2 etc., shall be used with the arrow pointing to the portion of the sheet having a luminous transmittance of not less than 70 percent and the number indicating the item with which that portion of the sheet complies.

From here Top of the page is more in depth for the tint
70 percent is pretty light in shade, but as the code state it is actually supposed to be marked what the shade is so the officer doesnt have to guess. No marking=potential ticket. The law is pretty clear cut here

Last edited by PolarBear; 10-09-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #15
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

The Easton/Forks twp area is very nice and just over the bridge. It's not too far past Phillipsburg.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #16
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy View Post
The Easton/Forks twp area is very nice and just over the bridge. It's not too far past Phillipsburg.
Yeah, Easton is getting nicer. A lot of affluent people from NJ are heading west to buy nicer homes.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #17
nj96z28

Do you really need another reason other than "Its Not NJ" ?
'96 Z28 Vert M6 - UMI LCA's,UMI SFC's,BMR Panhard rod(soon to be UMI),UMI Short Shifter,Custom clutch, SLP CAI, SLP Strut Brace, Skip Shift Elim, MagnaFlow Catback,160 stat, Tb bypass, Air Foil ,prothane motor mounts & tranny mount, Stainless Radiator Shroud, Hooker headers with magnaflow hiflo cats, brand spanking new tranny, Umi torque arm , C5 brakes all 4 corners .

Soon to come... New paint , and glass .
nj96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #18
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

The problem with areas of PA that border NJ is that they are rapidly becoming overpopulated and will need to build new schools just like NJ. That will jack up their taxes quickly as well so moving to PA may just be a temporary relief.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #19
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Yeah, Easton is getting nicer. A lot of affluent people from NJ are heading west to buy nicer homes.
Yeah I know because my cousin just moved there and its very nice. He works in Parsippany but the money he saved in taxes out there bought a nice 3 BR home for a lot less money. plus the cheaper continual property tax...
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #20
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Around the Philly/Trenton areas I think it's only slightly cheaper then NJ in that the various areas will have different cost of living, housing cost, taxes and such. But basically, the farther north and west you go the lower the cost of living. Likewise school districts vary from area to area.

But it sounds like you want to stay more central to NJ so PA may only be a bit cheaper then NJ , but you probably won’t see that much. I’m going to say for a moderate income, I’d guess the Levittown or N.E. Philly area are fair priced and will keep the commute reasonable, areas such as Yardley or Newtown are going to cost allot more to live in.

I live in Central PA (140 miles from Ewing), very country living, taxes are basically nothing, this is agricultural area, so no emissions testing at all, but in the near further they will at least be testing gas caps!

Throughout the state once you pass emissions, if you drive the car under 5,000 miles a year you are exempt from the sniffer, you just need a visual emissions inspection and you pay for just the sticker, no test. I think it's was around $40 for the test, and $10 for thicker, and $20 for safety inspection and $10 for the stick, so it's around $80 for the yearly inspection, 40 if your exempt. Because of where I live it's $22 for any car for inspection. I don't like tinited windows, so I have no clue about the laws?

I have 5 cars insurance thru NJM and pay just over $6,000 a year. I know I could get it cheaper, but I have full coverage and also the service I get with NJM is worth me paying a few extra dollars.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #21
MonmouthCtyAntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
Around the Philly/Trenton areas I think it's only slightly cheaper then NJ in that the various areas will have different cost of living, housing cost, taxes and such. But basically, the farther north and west you go the lower the cost of living. Likewise school districts vary from area to area.

But it sounds like you want to stay more central to NJ so PA may only be a bit cheaper then NJ , but you probably won’t see that much. I’m going to say for a moderate income, I’d guess the Levittown or N.E. Philly area are fair priced and will keep the commute reasonable, areas such as Yardley or Newtown are going to cost allot more to live in.

I live in Central PA (140 miles from Ewing), very country living, taxes are basically nothing, this is agricultural area, so no emissions testing at all, but in the near further they will at least be testing gas caps!

Throughout the state once you pass emissions, if you drive the car under 5,000 miles a year you are exempt from the sniffer, you just need a visual emissions inspection and you pay for just the sticker, no test. I think it's was around $40 for the test, and $10 for thicker, and $20 for safety inspection and $10 for the stick, so it's around $80 for the yearly inspection, 40 if your exempt. Because of where I live it's $22 for any car for inspection. I don't like tinited windows, so I have no clue about the laws?

I have 5 cars insurance thru NJM and pay just over $6,000 a year. I know I could get it cheaper, but I have full coverage and also the service I get with NJM is worth me paying a few extra dollars.
Great Info

Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #22
Mark B

You will be back. Everyone comes back.

01 GMC Sierra C3 6.0L, AWD, Westers Tune, K&N, Hella LED Tails
03 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, GMPP Handling Kit, LS1 F-Body Brakes
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:37 AM   #23
MonmouthCtyAntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
You will be back. Everyone comes back.
havent left yet...and I dont think the girls to crazy about heading over to pa...

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge