Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 08-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
The Fixer

Clutch Slipping in 4th Gear?

Hey all,
I had the Monte out one day last week and was cruising in 4th gear at about 40mph. The car in front of me slowed down to make a turn, so I had to slow down a bit (maybe 30mph, around 1300 rpm or so in 4th) to navigate around him. I didn't bother to downshift because the motor is a very torquey ZZ4-cammed 355 with a TPI on top. Once I was clear, I stepped on the throttle, the rpms went up real quick, then I smelled that nasty fried clutch smell. If I wail on it from a dead stop, it does not seem to slip in the lower gears, as long as the speed and rpms are up. And if I drive it "sanely" it doesn't slip either.

Since I have mechanical linkage and adjustable upper/lower pushrods off the Z-bar, would lengthening or shortening the lower pushrod help? The clutch is a RAM 88761. Is it possible that it's not totally engaging, and that's why it's slipping? Or is my motor just overpowering the clutch?

I wanted to get the car dyno'd this week at Sickspeedperformance, but if the clutch is slipping, it'll most likely toast on the dyno. Can't have that happen!

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

Check your clutch for proper adjustment first but usually a clutch will slip in the higher gears just before it really starts to go bad..
Old 08-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERFORMANCE View Post
Check your clutch for proper adjustment first but usually a clutch will slip in the higher gears just before it really starts to go bad..
Ugh, that's not what I wanted to hear. As long as I can drive it the rest of this season, I'll save up and buy a clutch over the winter and install it. I'll try adjusting it first just, hopefully that'll fix it though.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline