Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-10-2004, 12:22 PM   #1
HardcoreZ28

What would you pay for a restoration??

Ok here's the deal. Right now I work in good old Corporate America. I wear a shirt and tie to work everyday and watch co-workers pass my desk all day long looking like they have no reason to live. I want to eventually open a restoration and performance shop.

Out of curiousity, if money was not really an issue for you, what would most of you pay to have a car restored? We're talking mostly 60's and 70's musclecars. I also want to do performance and custom work to late models, but the majority of my business will be the resto work.

Just shoot out some prices.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
twiztidz28

ok are we talking about a full restoration. just using the frame and body? are we using stock parts?

A full resto from the gorund up will take about 6-7 months at the most if worked on every day. you could probably do it shorter like 4 if you bust your ass. with help it would be even shorter. price for a full resto encluding paint. your looking at about 30-40 grand depending on the car availiabilty of parts and such. if custom parts have to be made then were talking a lil more. my dad use to do restos and i helped aand that is what most full restos from the ground up was. used as much of the stock body as we could and fixed what we had to.

Chuck

Someone help me fix the rattles in my car Please.
twiztidz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #3
Untamed

I've had the same desire and went so far as to put together a business plan, look up the licensing information in Trenton, do marketing research on used cars - specifically F-bodies, and put together financing information for investment capital using private and/or public groups. I also gathered information on what it would take to go beyond being an auto parts / mechanics / maintenance services dealer to actually sell used cars (like partial restorations that get used F-bodies up and running for those people on limited budgets).

Having said all that, you first need to determine who your market is. Currently, full restorations (frame-off, factory spec, very minimal performance or cosmetic changes) can run in the five figures - affordable only by car enthusiasts who are in their 40's, established careers, usually married, and can afford a $15K+ price tag. The cost of the base vehicle dramatically changes depending on the resto (a '69 Trans Am costs an arm and a leg, while an '81 TTA isn't nearly as bad).

You are better off not limiting your restoration work to just a limited type of car. People who do resto work on cars, don't just choose Second Generation vehicles only - unless its a part time job ( I know you said 1st and 2nd, just making a point). If its a full time job, consider doing all 4 generations of F-bodies. My original plan was to limit myself to the Firebird line (my favorite) but quickly saw that it wouldnt be worth a full time job. If you know little about either Camaro's or Firebird's, either learn more about the other, or hire a guy who knows and has the same passion. Why same passion? Because you wont make a dime the first few months you do work, and you (and your partner) have to be willing to forgo paychecks for a while to get the business off the ground. Friends and family who are willing to be the first customers, usually can't afford major work, much less full restos. Plus you need to do the accounting, materials handling, sales and marketing... ad naseum.

Here is my suggestion:

17-25: Under $2,000 with a payment plan for the youngest.
26-35: Under $5,000 with a payment plan.
36-45: Under $20,000 with a payment plan for those who need it.
46-???: They can usually afford whatever they want, though make your prices under $25,000 to be competitive with everyone else. If they are considering a restoration by you, and not doing it themselves, they won't need a payment plan.

Remember, its not just the price of the car and parts, its the labor AND ATTENTION TO DETAIL AND CREDIBILITY. People will pay big money for high value. If your restorations are show worthy, they'll pay for it. If you're helping a friend of a friend who is on his way to college, charge a simple fee for finding a running car, make it road worthy then paint it. Thats enough to make most of us happy, but wont get you the big bucks.

Oh, and don't get me started on the effects of the economy on that type of business....

- Dave, who has the tools, the manuals, the desire and a wife who supports the idea.... but not the space or the formal education. (yeah, shameless plug)
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:53 PM   #4
HardcoreZ28

I don't plan on limiting myself to a certain vintage car, I just think the demand for 60's and 70's cars will be higher. I do mean complete restorations from the ground up using stock parts when available. The $20 - $30k range is what I was thinking for a full resto plus the cost of parts. I can paint myself so that will save a lot of money for me. Only thing I can't do right now is weld but I plan on learning soon. I understand the whole age range and money issue, but there are plenty of people in this area that are 40 + and make 6 figures a year who would pay for a top quality restoration. I don't know yet if I want to take on a partner because I'm very picky when it comes to quality and how things should be done. But if I did it myself and even only cranked out 2 maybe 3 cars a year that's $45-$90k a year to start off.

I don't like to brag that much, but my work is excellent given the proper budget. My father and I restored his 76 Datsun together and it's one of the top in the country (wins 1st place in almost every import class he enters, Best of Show in all Nissan/Datsun shows, etc...). My IROC is very, very nice considering it was restored on a college student's budget and gets driven about 8,000 miles a year. And right now I'm restoring a 65 T-Bird with my father that is going to be ridiculous. Everything is being powdercoated, chromed, or painted....no rattle can stuff. The powdercoat and paint I do myself so I can decide if I like the way it comes out or not.

If anyone is seriously interested in getting into this business as well I'd be highly interested in sitting down for some serious discussion.

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 09-10-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
Untamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28
If anyone is seriously interested in getting into this business as well I'd be highly interested in sitting down for some serious discussion.
Very interested actually. You're in Bridgewater and I'm in Hillsborough. That makes it easy, distance-wise, to get together. If nothing else we can make a dinner out of it, trade some ideas, lament over being stuck behind a desk, and talk about muscle cars until my wife tells me to shut up and eat before the food gets cold. *looks around* Am I the only one who does that?

I'll PM you my home number if you have any interest.

- Dave
Old 09-10-2004, 02:32 PM   #6
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

most good resto/custom shops charge 150-200 an hour + a 15-25% mark up on all parts.
your major investmenst are gonna be knowledgable man power and a ton of research tools like assembly manuals and data bases.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 02:37 PM   #7
HardcoreZ28

Untamed you've got a PM. I probably won't be online again until tomorrow night possibly, otherwise monday morning.

Tim what do you mean by data bases?

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 09-10-2004, 02:37 PM   #8
HardcoreZ28

I meant I won't be online again after I leave work in an hour

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 09-10-2004, 03:01 PM   #9
Untamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER
most good resto/custom shops charge 150-200 an hour + a 15-25% mark up on all parts.
your major investmenst are gonna be knowledgable man power and a ton of research tools like assembly manuals and data bases.
That depends on how much effort someone is willing to put into the business on the front end. There's the cheap, easy, and self-made way of organizing a SQL or Access database to keep all the accounting, sales, inventory and billing information. There are lots of home business software out there (like Quickbooks) that can accomplish this. Not very expensive.

Getting ahold of the tech manuals can be tricky. I agree with you there. More and more manuals are being put on CD for around $40 per CD. Depending on what kind / how many cars the shop plans to work on, that can get pricey.

As for hourly wages, that depends on how much value the business owner (maybe sole proprietor) places on the labor. Just marking up parts gets a small profit through the door. Charging -something- for labor is where the money is at. New businesses would do well to value their personal labor low, covering costs or making a small profit on parts to begin with, then work off the building reputation to charge a little more within 1 quarter of opening (3 months). It becomes a sort of grand opening special. Once theres a solid reputation, stick with whatever the market charges to remain competitive, and enjoy more profitability.

Now, I'm no expert. These are just my opinions. These posts are more of an attempt to get a thousand-count of posts on this forum to look cool or something.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:11 PM   #10
HardcoreZ28

Untamed....I like the wayyou think. Reputation is EVERYTHING in a business like this. As far as databases that's no problem. I learned Access and Excel in High School and College and use Excel everyday at work. Computers are fairly easy for me. As far as tech manuals I'm not so knowledged on them. Everything I've done so far has been with a complete car as a starting point. I've found that my digital camera and video camera have been some of my most useful tools. The nice thing about old cars is the simplicity and lack of clutter under the hood. Manuals would be great though for wiring and under dash components. Once again though at only 2-3 cars a year (for a one man business) $40 a pop on manuals is a minor expense. Also the research of checking other cars of the same model at car shows in invaluable. You can see where other people's weak points and strong points are and use them to your advantage.

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 09-10-2004, 03:22 PM   #11
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

i was refering to databases outside the business function stuff.
you woudl need to have around a tone of assembly, parts, cross reference, specifications, color chips, blah blah blah....you get teh idea.
at minimum you woudl need access to a stagering amount of info, if not have a good portion of it on hand at all times. some of these things are very easy to get, the old mopar guys have part numbers and records for everything, the model a and t ford crowd has been researched to death, and teh pontiac historical society has a ton of useful info available. the trick is when you get into the less common vehicles(copo/special production) and have to find info on how to repair or reproduce a part that may have been a one off or only ever appeared as a prototype.
having someone on the staff that is very good at and like to do research woudl be a huge asset. the records of the research done on every individual car(if a resto to verify num's matching and stuff) as well as general info would need to be carefully documenteed and organized.
if you get a chance to visit any good resto shop you will see books all over the place becuase accurate information is the key to perfect restos.

later
tim

ps quickbooks is prolly the easiest acounting/time/product management program in history. highly recomend it if you woudl rather spend your time playing with the cars instead of the books

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:36 PM   #12
Untamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER
i was refering to databases outside the business function stuff.
you woudl need to have around a tone of assembly, parts, cross reference, specifications, color chips, blah blah blah....you get teh idea.
at minimum you woudl need access to a stagering amount of info, if not have a good portion of it on hand at all times. some of these things are very easy to get,
Ah yes, absolutely correct. There's no real happy medium between being able to cater to a wide audience and having a small operation. Unfortnately, the shops that seem to have the best reputation, also have the experienced mechanics who seem to have all the obscure knowledge in their heads - not on manuals. Like they say, there's no substitute for experience.

It's a lofty goal for a small operation to be able to tackle a large range of cars for resto work. Those who specialize, can often maintain a great wealth of information about specific vehicles, building a great reputation for those vehicles, however they cater to a much smaller audience, and consequently, make a smaller amount of money. If all he plans to do is 2-3 cars a year (definately a part time job) then taking time to do the research and acquire the (written) knowledge about the vehicle becomes a little more attainable. I agree with you there. Pouring through webpages, catalogs, shop manuals, yellow pages, and purusing car shops/shows, swap meets, other clubs, etc. becomes very important and time consuming. Certanly lots of things to consider when opening a "small and simple" restoration business.

Thanks for the input, Tim.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:46 PM   #13
jims69camaro

i dunno what happened to my post, but i was the first to respond - and it disappeared.

basically, you have the right idea as far as pricing - the only thing i would keep in mind is not to exceed the market value of the cars too much. yeah, i know, true enthusiasts are not in it for the money. yet there is still something to be said for being able to sell the car for more than you paid for it.

i am good with wrenches, lots of experience changing parts, swapping motors, stuff like that. what i lack in actual experience building up a ride, i supplement with my thirst for knowledge. i am constantly reading.

i could be interested in a contingency position - basically i could come in as needed. until the court case settles i won't know how much i'll have to 'fool around with' so i cannot at this time commit to a partnership, but i would be interested in turning wrenches for you and maybe more down the road. and i think reputation is everything - and it all starts with a little friendly customer service.

i have been developing a relationship with bob emerson at speed freaks speed shop out in amelia oh, and if you were interested in stocking a small parts counter, he could hook that up. he blows away the other big names in the internet/mail order parts business as far as price is concerned (ex: Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, $117 plus shipping $8; jeg's $128 plus what amounts to a shipping charge of $12 (they don't call it shipping, lol); summit $125 plus shipping ($10-15)), and his shipping is reliable (UPS). while he's mostly a performance parts house, i am sure he could get good prices on restoration stuff. sometimes it's who you know. oh, and the web site, which he quickly admits does not even come close to showing all of the parts he's either got in stock or has access to (probably drop-ship situation), is at http://www.speedfreaksspeedshop.com/index.html

you don't need any fancy software to set up the books, keep track of inventory, and the like - i can do it with Excel.

oh, and, it might be nice to have a '69 camaro sitting in front of the shop.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 01:51 AM   #14
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed
Quote:
Very interested actually. You're in Bridgewater and I'm in Hillsborough. That makes it easy, distance-wise, to get together.
I am in hillsborough too. I would definitly be down for starting a resto shop. I graduate in two weeks from wyotech after taking automotive technology, chassis fabrication and high performance engines, and street rod and custom fabrication. If it has to do with cars, I can do it. Let me know if you guys are serious about this and want my help.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:29 PM   #15
Ian

TTT, this is too cool to let go.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:53 AM   #16
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
TTT, this is too cool to let go.
Quote:
Untamed you've got a PM. I probably won't be online again until tomorrow night possibly, otherwise monday morning.
patience.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 09-12-2004, 04:47 AM   #17
Ian

Just to let you all know, I am very good at welding. I can MIG, TIG and gas weld. I also learned to fabricate sheet metal panels and full chassis. I am very interested in this, keep me in the know please.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:34 AM   #18
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Guys, it really depends on what the customer is looking for. A true frame off restoration will run $50-100,000 easily. I used to be skeptical when people told me that, but right now I'm in the middle of having my 69 Z28 JL8 car restored and I can tell you the cost will be in the $70-100,000 range when it's finished. You can't cut corners and you have to take as much time as it takes to get it right. Original parts are priced outrageous and soon will be used up anyway. If you're really serious, talk to Rich at PRC in Bridgewater where my car is being restored(732)356-7765. His shop charges $40 an hour, but they're meticulous and my car has already had over 500 hours in work and it's not even painted yet. But my car is going to be a $125,000 when it's done so I could justify the cost of the restoration. If the car being restored is only going to be worth $30,000 when finished, nobody is going to pay $50,000 to have it restored. Take a look at the cars at Englishtown swap meet and just look at the sub-frame and you'll be able to tell which cars were really frame off restored and which ones were quicky "restored". I would suggest coming up with different levels of restoration to offer. But even then, most people don't have all the money up front so you'll need to do some sort of monthly plan like I do. Take a look at some of the pictures on this page http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/jeffh...mcast.net/JL8/ and you'll see some of the work done to my 69 Z28. The body was chemically stripped at Redi-Strip in Allentown, PA. That alone cost $1700. GM quarter panels cost $1800 a pair. It add up really fast.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:59 AM   #19
HardcoreZ28

OK I'm back from a long weekend of rugby drunkeness in Conn. It's awesome that some of you guys are really interested in this post. Ian I would definately love to talk to you tomorrow night if you'll be at Fudd's...I'll have the white IROC.

I've seen the shop in Bridgewater I believe. It's the one that's actually in back of like Bridgewater Garage or something like that right? I talked to that guy about a year ago and he had a lot of cool things to say.

As far as pricing and different levels of restoration those are things I've kicked around. Like I said for a full resto I'd be looking at $20-$30k for labor plus the cost of parts, but it would absolutely be a top notch job. This is something I'd like to start part time next year maybe even out of my garage at home and then after I get a few cars under my belt or a few firm commitments move to full time status.

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 09-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #20
Ian

Quote:
Ian I would definately love to talk to you tomorrow night if you'll be at Fudd's...I'll have the white IROC.
Sorry, I won't be there. I'm still at school. But I'll be at the meeting the 25th.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:52 PM   #21
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

$20-30K plus the cost of the parts will put the restoration in the $40-50K range and then add to that the original cost of the car. Most of the 60's musclecars are probably worth $20-40K so you can't go over the market value. If you really want to start your own business, pick a rare model and do a top notch job on it and use that as your selling point.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:19 PM   #22
HardcoreZ28

I'd say that $40-$50k is about the going price for a professional resto job of top quality. We all know that people never get back what they put into a car......their loss is my gain I guess.

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 09-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #23
jims69camaro

ok, so where are we with this?

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 09-17-2004, 07:27 AM   #24
HardcoreZ28

Ha we're at me still having about a year left to finish restoring my father's T-bird and then using it along with his Datsun and my Camaro as advertising tools. Then hopefully me escaping from the clutches of Corporate America into a job I might actually enjoy and be passionate about.

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 09-19-2004, 11:34 PM   #25
Untamed

You'll need at least 6-9 months to launch the business - assuming you don't cut corners like work out of your own house, provide your own financing to start up, and have employees willing to work for future pay-offs, eliminating the need for an actual payroll from week 1.

So.. having said all that, and echoing Jim's words, where are we with this?

- Dave

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge