Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 01-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

Surge + Check engine light

Past few days when i am stopped at lights the car will surge rpms will go up and the car will lurch forward if i dont watch how hard i am on the brakes. Finally last night i started it up and it wouldnt run rught, Check Engine light came on and sounded like it was out of gas, the rpm's fluctuated and would not run on all 8 cylinders. I shut it off, and restarted it. after doing this three times the car fired right up fine, no check engine light, and ran perfectly. It still surges at lights once in a while, so i know it will happen again. Ideas? Thanks!
Jon
Old 01-10-2005, 12:05 AM   #2
88gtatransam

no clue about wut the problem would be... but i can say that my T/A has been haveing those problems.... more so right after the first start up of the day if i dont have my foot on the brake hard enough i find my self up on the cars ass infront of me...
88gtatransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
The Fixer

Re: Surge + Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad64chevelle
Past few days when i am stopped at lights the car will surge rpms will go up and the car will lurch forward if i dont watch how hard i am on the brakes. Finally last night i started it up and it wouldnt run rught, Check Engine light came on and sounded like it was out of gas, the rpm's fluctuated and would not run on all 8 cylinders. I shut it off, and restarted it. after doing this three times the car fired right up fine, no check engine light, and ran perfectly. It still surges at lights once in a while, so i know it will happen again. Ideas? Thanks!
Jon
Could be the infamous LT1 EGR issue. Try plugging the vacuum line that runs to the EGR (back of the intake manifold, have fun reaching it under the windshield) and see if the problem disappears.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
bad64chevelle

yeah before this started, i tried pushing the egr element, and it felt rock solid and would not budge, arent they supposed to have some give to them when you push on it?
Old 01-10-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
9secfirebird

replace egr valve. if thats not it its a great place to start but that sounds like that could be it!
Old 01-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
bad64chevelle

the car also back fires when i really stomp on it, sometimes. This happens once in a blue moon, but this thing really isnt running up to par. It seems like its backfiring through the intake....

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning